Hoboken Mark 1

Reaction score
A guy in Venice Fla advertised it on Craigslist 6 months ago - pickup only.
He graciously offered to bring it north to NY when he was visiting relatives in the Spring so I finally picked it up 6 weeks ago.
It took awhile for my guitar tech to get it back to me but all the waiting was worth it. It sounds great.
I'm glad you took care of it - it's in nice shape. The guy in Florida never played and I think it sat in its case for a few years.
Tuned it to DADFAD this morning and I've been playing it on and off all day - hard to walk past it.
It was either a Guild Mark I or a Favilla C5 as I wanted a mahogany guitar - I've had to retreat to nylon strings in my later years.
The Favilla has that one piece mahogany top & back and most reviews said it sounded nice but it seems like all the adds for it showed a crack on the front. I started questioning whether that was the fate for all Favilla's. So after watching Youtubes from Bill Bernhart and Adam Levy I settled on the well built Guild Mark I.
That's a pretty high serial number isn't it - did you ever uncover any of its history?
In case you're curious I have $800 into this guitar so far - probably alot more than you bought/sold it for. Crazy market......
It's definitely a keeper for me, nice sound, frets really well and I like the size. I'm playing it through an old Crate CA30D amp.
If you're playing a classical guitar I highly recommend the John Pearse PJ116 strings.

Sal

Reaction score
A guy in Venice Fla advertised it on Craigslist 6 months ago - pickup only.
He graciously offered to bring it north to NY when he was visiting relatives in the Spring so I finally picked it up 6 weeks ago.
The guy I sold it to was in Rochester NY so it’s bounced back and forth now. Good to hear it’s still in nice shape too. I have to say, I believe your Mark 1 was made with A#1 stunning selections of mahogany and Brazilian rosewood. The builder really picked some choice pieces for that guitar. The hog back is stunning and the fretboard and head stock veneer are beautifully grained. Ha! Can you tell it was really hard for me to part with it? I was bothered by a standard 2” nylon nut width and when I found my current Guild N5 crossover nylon with its 1.75” nut I felt I should thin my herd. I’m very glad my old Mark 1 has found you! If you ever have video of yourself playing it I would love to see that.

I hope you don’t mind my sharing these photos:

Attachments

• Head front 01.JPG
    Head front 01.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • Fretboard soundhole rosewood 01.JPG
    Fretboard soundhole rosewood 01.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Front close 01.JPG
    Front close 01.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Back close 01.JPG
    Back close 01.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Yes, same guy. He lived close to Rochester and once owned a music store in Canandaigua NY just SE of Rochester. He winters in Fla and comes north in the Spring. A good guy to deal with.

Nice woods indeed. It's a beautiful looking guitar. I've heard that it's sometimes called Guild's Chocolate Guitar. The neck/frets on this Mark I are a pleasure to play. So many of these 60's 70's classicals are real treasures. I have a Harmony H175 & H177 that sound super, really boom.

Seems many like the 1.75 nut. That's as low as I go, I like the 2" best. Never held a Guild G5. Sure looks like the real thing - I imagine it's quite a step up from the Mark I?

Thanks for the photos. Looking at them and playing it now I can see where it was a tough decision to sell. For me it's definitely a keeper for life.

Reaction score
BTW there is a Mark I for sale in Buffalo NY (not me or mine). If anyone is interested in it please let me know.