Hoboken Mark 1

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I cannot figure out how to date my Hoboken Mark I.. The serial number is 43271. Any ideas? Hans :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to date my Hoboken Mark I.. The serial number is 43271. Any ideas? Hans :)

I'm thinking '65, assuming Guild's chart is accurate that last number "recorded" in '64 was 38636, and last one shown for '65 was 46606.
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

What's confusing is that they instituted the "CA" prefix on those during '65 so the last number shown for Mark I's in '65 is from that sequence, and the last pure numeric s/n from '65 becomes "invisible" on the chart.
We've seen that issue frequently when folks can't find their s/n for many different models and eras.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking '65, assuming Guild's chart is accurate that last number "recorded" in '64 was 38636, and last one shown for '65 was 46606.
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

What's confusing is that they instituted the "CA" prefix on those during '65 so the last number shown for Mark I's in '65 is from that sequence, and the last pure numeric s/n from '65 becomes "invisible" on the chart.
We've seen that issue frequently when folks can't find their s/n for many different models and eras.

Al that is precisely where I got confused. I'll just have to say it is a 1965.. What's weird is that 46608 was their last number for 1966. Guess they only made 2 that year.. Thanks sir! Happy belated New Year sir!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to date my Hoboken Mark I.. The serial number is 43271.

That particular Mark I was completed during the year 1965.

No, you're mixing up the various serial number systems. What you're describing happened with the serial numbers for the year 1970.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No, you're mixing up the various serial number systems. What you're describing happened with the serial numbers for the year 1970.
???
But it explains why he couldn't find his s/n?
Still, I was just wondering why it appeared that the straight numeric sequence picked right up where it left off in '69.
Were they using both systems at the same time, is that why the 2 different charts?
(I will bookmark answer. If it's too time-consuming to explain without a simple yes or no I'll have to live with it. )

And I remember Guild's charts are known to be full of error, I just don't want to risk keeping my copy of your book here where I post from.
Thanks for correcting bad info in any case!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
???
No, he just looked at the wrong place.

Still, I was just wondering why it appeared that the straight numeric sequence picked right up where it left off in '69.
Were they using both systems at the same time, is that why the 2 different charts?
(I will bookmark answer. If it's too time-consuming to explain without a simple yes or no I'll have to live with it. )

The answer is on page 46 and 47 of 'The Guild Guitar Book'.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

bobdcat

Reaction score
I used to have Mark I s/n CA-2879, which doesn't exist if you take the "official" Guild serial number chart at face value. CA-2156 was the last recorded serial number in 1968. Yet, my old Mark I was probably made in 1969, or even 1970. Who knows?

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to have Mark I s/n CA-2879, which doesn't exist if you take the "official" Guild serial number chart at face value. CA-2156 was the last recorded serial number in 1968. Yet, my old Mark I was probably made in 1969, or even 1970. Who knows?

Did they only make Mark I with the all hog body??
I am really bonding with mine. Excellent little couch guitar and is as light as a feather..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hans.
:smile:
It wouldn't surprise me if in this case the missing info was related to the shift of production from Westerly to Hoboken.
Otherwise one would think your number would show up because of what I described, that Hans says did occur in '70 when they went back to the "old" strictly numeric sequence :

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

After some confusion on my part:
???
I realized that it I wasn't clear enough, that I meant "the last pure numeric s/n for Mark I's in '65 became invisible (on the chart)" because Guild's chart only reflects the last number of the "CA" sequence for 1965, for that model.
The "last pure numeric s/n for '65" is visible on "Chart #1" (subject to confirmation of accuracy by Hans)
He gets a little more specific in the book.
Did I get that right, sir?
(And after this no more s/n chart "speculation", my head exploded yesterday until I re-read the pages you directed me to, and thanks again)

bobdcat

Reaction score
Did they only make Mark I with the all hog body??
I am really bonding with mine. Excellent little couch guitar and is as light as a feather..

Yes, the Mark I was the only Mark with the all-mahogany body. The Mark II had a spruce top with mahogany back & sides. The higher Marks used rosewood, pear, and padauk. My Mark IV has pearwood back & sides.

Reaction score
I have a Guild Mark I with serial number CA-3190

Attachments

• Mark I CA-3190.JPG
    Mark I CA-3190.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 47

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. The Mark I is a great all mahogany classical guitar. This one was probably manufactured during 1970, when there was a change over to a new serial numbering system. I love playing my Mark II for it's soft, round tones.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice, plparshall... Can we see more pictures? (we love them). :). The label says Hoboken which probably means '60s, but I don't have access to the bible (Hans Moust's book) to do the dating. Maybe @hansmoust will chime in.

Reaction score
With a serial number that high (beyond record keeping) it may have been one of the last Mark I's made?
That high number means it was probably made in Westerly - supposedly with a heavier frame?
In pretty good shape...
I had the plastic saddle removed and a compensated bone saddle installed.
Had a K&K Classic pickup installed.
Lowered the action as much as possible.
Restrung with Thomastik Infeld John Pearse PJ116 strings - 85 ft lbs of tension but it's tuned in DADGAD so that reduces it to around 75 ft lbs. It's feels light so I don't want to push it.
I have 5-6 guitars and they're all american nylons from the 60's (folk guitars) as I'm not into the plinky Spanish classical sound.
Aside from Martin's I think Guild have structurally held up the best over the years - well made guitars.
Of all the "Marks" I wanted this smaller mahogany Mark I model most.
I think the new saddle and PJ116 strings are about as bright as it can be setup. It's enjoyable to play.

Sal

Reaction score
I have a Guild Mark I with serial number CA-3190
Hey, welcome piparshall! Small world. That is actually my old guitar I sold in October 2018. Have you had it long or did you buy it from me? Here's my image of the label:
1686520914571.png