First Lesson

MartyG

Reaction score
Had my first lesson in over 50 years yesterday, and I finally got to hear my '73 D25 played by someone who can play (my teacher). It sounds wonderful, and he thought it was great to play. I'm starting from the beginning (no bad habits!), and I know it will take time, but I am happy to get started. At 63, still working, and feeling my age most days, it's nice to start fresh with something I hope to do for the next stage of life. I'm like a kid again!

Marty

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Definition of happiness is having something to be enthusiastic about. Good on you for guitar lessons

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! I took lessons again in my late 40s and it made a huge difference. Enjoy the process!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I started weekly lessons again before the holidays and have been enjoying it. Have a lesson this morning in fact. Good on us for keeping on keeping on.

dingrr

Reaction score
Good for you, Marty! I've been on and off for a couple years, trying to learn on my own and with internet follow-along type lessons. I think I might take the plunge and find some local live lessons. Enjoy.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats. I had my first bass lesson at a similar age and regret that I moved and had to stop. One warning. My teacher was young and music was his profession and livelihood. So he did not have a lot of money to spend on equipment. Thus he really liked the chance to play Mrs. Fro's and my instruments because they were nicer than what he owned.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! I'm doing on-line lessons, and it has definitely improved my playing...

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! I'm doing on-line lessons....

I'll check out an online lesson on occasion. Here's one for Tom Petty's Won't Back Down. I love Petty, and many of his pieces are so easy! I mean, Em, D, G. Can't get much easier than that! (The bridge isn't much tougher.) Music is to enjoy!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's so hard to play the right way when you taught yourself all the wrong ways, but for a reason.

In fingerpicking, I learned some common patterns that frankly don't sound as cool as the stuff I picked across a bunch of strings with my middle finger only (Merle Travis himself doing mutliple strings with one finger, he played with three tops), and a lot of weird rock shortcuts I learned back in the Whole Lotta Rosie days, and I can now consciously go from the correct ways, to my own ways. It's just damn near confusing. Two competing muscle memories.

After a year of trying to do it the right way, I just took what I wanted out of it, added it to my repertoire and I still willingly and now even pleasurably indulge in bad habits ;))

Petty is emerging in my mind as an unabashed master of the genre. I accidentally heard Mary Jane's Last Dance for the first time in a long time a little while back, and all I can say is wow. But the video...

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The speedy electric rock guitarist Paul Gilbert ?

A-299756-1578310773-1140.jpeg.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats. I had my first bass lesson at a similar age and regret that I moved and had to stop. One warning. My teacher was young and music was his profession and livelihood. So he did not have a lot of money to spend on equipment. Thus he really liked the chance to play Mrs. Fro's and my instruments because they were nicer than what he owned.

When I went, I found a guy my age who was a fabulous player but was spending all his money on his daughter's education, so he wasn't poor, but he wasn't buying high-end gear, either.

Every week I would bring in a different guitar for him to fondle and we would have a blast. I often think about signing up again because we had so much fun and I know he would love the jazzier guitars I've acquired since.

jwsamuel

Reaction score
My teacher was young and music was his profession and livelihood. So he did not have a lot of money to spend on equipment. Thus he really liked the chance to play Mrs. Fro's and my instruments because they were nicer than what he owned.

That says something right there.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I went, I found a guy my age who was a fabulous player but was spending all his money on his daughter's education, so he wasn't poor, but he wasn't buying high-end gear, either.

Every week I would bring in a different guitar for him to fondle and we would have a blast. I often think about signing up again because we had so much fun and I know he would love the jazzier guitars I've acquired since.

Sounds like a nice barter proposition?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is a JHS Pedals youtube episode with Paul. Check it out. ( OK, the basket ball segment was stupid )