1970 Guild F-512 Brazilian Rosewood w/ F-612 Inlays

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Aha, I missed that. Actually sounds like a reasonable price for such a special axe.

So, why would an archback have a center seam? Were they bookmatched?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Aha, I missed that. Actually sounds like a reasonable price for such a special axe.

So, why would an archback have a center seam? Were they bookmatched?

In a sense yes, just not a solid piece split into 2 like tops are, but the veneer lots were typically sheeted from the same flitch so any 2 consecutive sheets had nearly identical grain which could then be laid out on the "core" in bookmatched fashion as the back pics demonstrate.
As to why two pieces, I said this earlier (and believe Hans would have corrected me if I was wrong, when he replied in post #22):

"Not that it makes much difference, but I suspect one reason those backs have 2 sides is that rosewood veneer in a size that would allow a "one-piece" look wasn't available or simply too costly.
It's also been a subject of debate as to whether those were regular flat back pieces glued together and then put in the archback press or if they were simply the standard process of veneer over a core but using "half sheets" of rosewood instead of a whole piece like the maple and mahogany archbacks.
I think it has to be the latter, and that the whole thing keeping it all together is a whole sheet of "core" wood.
If there's a seam inside the back that would also tend to confirm that's all they had to work with, for whatever reason
For once I'm gonna ask Hans for help!
Do you know, sir?"

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fro, the original thread was polluted with a bunch of delete messages because I think you did soft delete. I went through and did hard delete on everything you'd already moved. Thanks.

Yeah. I did a soft delete just because I wanted to recover in case things didn't go as planned. From one geek to another, when I copied the thread to another location was it a true copy or merely a second pointer to the original? It is a true copy so next time a hard delete.

taylorj

Reaction score
I'm glad y'all appreciate just how special this instrument is. I knew it was the right move to share it here with the LTG community. I finally figured out how to upload photographs, and edited the original post here to include the high quality shots I took of the instrument. I also added additional close up photographs in my FS post. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have regarding the guitar.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Looks like the pictures are up in the FS/FT thread. Again, good luck with the sale there, taylorj. That is one wicked beautiful guitar. I wish I could afford to own it. :(

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like it won't be long before we have to mine sigs here to find anything like this.

I'm happy to report that after "just merely looking" for a Braz 312 or better on the net, well you can buy an advertisement cut from a period mag or a set of used tuners but that's about it.

I could never plop three large or more on a guitar. There's too many people that I know that are really struggling right now, family included, I could never live it down to myself even if no one knew.

I'm now starting to be glad I bought Guilds, too many Guilds, for a year. The getting was good, and it looks like it's not getting any better now.

I'll have to wait for Hoboken 312 or better that pops out of the woodwork, and in the meantime really appreciate my Hoboken 112, because that guitar sounds like magic anyway.

When I play that guitar, I get compliments from the one who must be obeyed, which says more about the guitar than my playing.

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I have a recently restored Hoboken F112 — surprisingly great! Right up there with the best of my other Guild 12-strings, of which I have an embarrassingly high number!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So you're one of the resident curators of olde 12 strings and it's neat to know that you guys have them, just in case you have too many and someone else not enough, things balance out.

My F112 is really neat, lots of wear, love it or hate it, but most love it. Actually has a belt buckle sized buckle rash on the back, down to the wood, way down low which means it was worn up high early 60's style, rather than rashes at the top edge of the back, those came later in the 70's when their guitars started hanging way down.

The top has spectacular grain, dug around the bridge and pickguard like on the coolest guitars, the ones that got played a lot.

I usually get it out of the case late in the evening, and it totally blows my mind, and then I'm really really sleepy and can barely get out of my chair to put it away, so I never bother to look at it. But I did the other day, all over and holy cr@p this guitar has pretty hard wear everywhere, but it still but pristine in it's own way.

Did I mention the tattered snakeskin case (that wasn't even mentioned in the ad)?

It is OA113, which would make it the 12th 12 string to leave Hoboken in 1968?

I should take proper pics and do a post on it.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Mine's OA283 -- a little younger than yours!

Mine's been well-played too -- which may be why it sounds so good. I had it for quite a while before finally getting two top cracks cleated and good tuners installed. I only got it back two weeks ago, and haven't put it down since.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
As is evident from my signature I am the lucky owner of a ‘65 F-312, acquired from Richard Peterson. It’s beyond really cool.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the back looks book matched to me, that is not a one piece slab of BRW...

also seen a couple of these over the years, however, they have been if my memory serves me correct, Indian RW, this is the first 512 w/612 inlays ive seen w Brazillian RW... i THINK. creammy!!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, it’s the second.

B30EB0A7-1F33-404F-B392-813E2218464E.jpg

Attachments

• 11F23A1F-1D68-40BC-B5F4-9EE52234CE51.jpg
    11F23A1F-1D68-40BC-B5F4-9EE52234CE51.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 223

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mine's OA283 -- a little younger than yours!

Mine's been well-played too -- which may be why it sounds so good. I had it for quite a while before finally getting two top cracks cleated and good tuners installed. I only got it back two weeks ago, and haven't put it down since.

283 Chevy, easy # to remember. 182nd F112 of the line. 182nd? Oldest infantry regiment in the U.S. Active since 1636.

Just numbers…

As is evident from my signature I am the lucky owner of a ‘65 F-312, acquired from Richard Peterson. It’s beyond really cool.

Would love to see some nice centerfold shots. :)

I should get mine out and do it, the light seems to be returning a little bit, but then it’s time to shovel and clean vehicles off again...

No, it’s the second.

What a wonderful clutch of Guilds, all those sexy bodies lined up. You can almost imagine the aroma. I could never have that many guitars out at once, it might provoke some unpleasant questions...

Last edited:

bdeclee

Reaction score
I am a little confused. That back looks completely flat to me. Is the OP seeing what might be a slightly radiused back? And that looks a little like a replacement neck.

For those who may not remember, I was the original owner of awagner’s 1970 512 with the Hoboken label. :)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For those who may not remember ..........

Of course we remember!

I am a little confused. That back looks completely flat to me. Is the OP seeing what might be a slightly radiused back?

That's because of the way it was photographed. Here's a shot at an angle that shows the arched back a little better

F512_back.jpg

...... and that looks a little like a replacement neck.

No, it's the original neck, but it's definitely different from the one that you had.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl