How to use Attachments

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hate to ask again but whats the max upload size per photo and how many per post ?

I tried linking from Imgar but it says the file is to big I'm also guessing at which link to use .

uploading from Android loads pictures sideways which may be a size thing Im not sure ?
thanks again for holding my hand . LOL

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray, that sideways thing has been discussed before. I'm not technically educated so I might use bad terminology but here's the deal. If I take a photo with my phone or tablet (iPhone/iPad) the digital images are stored with a set of information regarding size and orientation and probably other stuff too. Like I said, I don't know the lingo and GAD got me through this. So if you try to upload that photo, the software here just flips it sideways. I don't know why. If I send the photo to my computer even, it goes with this set of information or instructions (help me anyone if I'm getting this totally wrong) so same thing if I upload from the computer. I never send from my phone to the computer as "full sized" (an option on i-Things) because I know it's going to be too big to post, so I do Large or Medium.

Now, from my computer, I pull up the photo into a program used for photo editing. My Dell with Windows 10 has one I'm sure. I use IrfanView (have for years, it's great and free to download and also good for file and batch file conversions) and open the photo in that program. Now, what has to happen is I need to get rid of those phone/tablet instructions imbedded in the photo that cause the photo to flip. The only way I know and easiest for me is to resize/resample (terms may be different in different programs) the photo. Not much, just a bit. So with the photo open in IrfanView, I select "resize/resample" and it brings up the window with the data about the photo. Size (in pixels, inches, cm's, I chose which one) and then it displays how many pixels wide and tall the photo is. I need to CHANGE THE SIZE of the photo because somehow that removes the info in the photo that makes it flip. There is a box there that should be checked called "preserve aspect ratio (proportional)". That means it keeps the width and height in proportion so it doesn't distort the photo. Let's say it says the current height (or width, you only have to change one because of the box you checked) is 1032 pixels (or inches or cm's). I just highlight it and make it 1000. A small reduction but it enough to remove the code that's in the photo. Then I hit the "OK" button for the changes I've made and then you have another decision to make. It's going to ask you what you wanna name the photo and where you want it. At this point you have to decide if you want the original to stay the same and also make this new copy that you can post. I don't, I just select the same name and location and again hit "Save" and it says "This file already exists, do you want to replace it?" and I say yes or okay. Now the photo is saved without the code that makes it flip when posted to the site. It sounds more difficult than it is. The only thing is do you want to make two sets of photos and how are you going to distinguish between them? By naming it differently, or in a different location, or both? That's up to you.

Now when I post the photo, it doesn't flip when posted to LTG. You can probably do this same thing on a phone or tablet if you have the same programs on them to do this. But I do my posting from my computer and accessing the site (mostly) from my computer.

I'm sure there are other ways to look for the code and info that's in the photo and remove it but that takes more skill and knowledge than I have. So this is the easiest way I know.

Does this help you?

Also, once GAD moves the site and does the upgrades that are planned (expect some interruption in site access at some point, it's coming) maybe we won't have to do all this, I don't know.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks I read the other info but missed the sending phone pics to PC will load the same way.
The photos display correctly on the PC but like you said not when I upload them . I going to DL IrfanView .
I head issues like this long ago but they got fixed somehow and never had an issue until now . I have had files to large but none with the orientation issue . Irfan it is then LOL

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's good software, Ray and I've been using it for years and it does minimal photo editing and conversion stuff and, not too complicated and it's free. It's not Photoshop but, it's free and quick and easy. After you make the changes, don't forget to save the photo. Then use that version/copy to upload. Should work!!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I couldn't find the "insert url" option. "Attach files" just went to my computer. How do you expect me to find anything on my computer? :eek:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.25.08 PM.png

You should have a little link icon above the "Drop image" box. Click on that and you should see a spot for a URL.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.26.10 PM.png

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, I hit "attach files" rather than the insert image button. That should do it....

0688w.jpg

Yeah, that works. :coffee:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I couldn't find the "insert url" option. "Attach files" just went to my computer. How do you expect me to find anything on my computer? :eek:

BTW I just needed to say that your comment about finding things on your computer made me laugh. :cool:

Rapraf

Reaction score
On my Windows 10 PC the message editor looks like this. I only get the URL option - can't upload from my computer. I don't see any settings like what was pictured above. Thoughts?

1597106638056.png

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
On my Windows 10 PC the message editor looks like this. I only get the URL option - can't upload from my computer. I don't see any settings like what was pictured above. Thoughts?

1597106638056.png

If you click on the picture do you see this?

1597109187483.png

And if you do, click the little arrow "thing" on the top left next to the blue link and you should see this:

ChooseUpload.jpg

Rapraf

Reaction score
If you click on the picture do you see this?

1597109187483.png

And if you do, click the little arrow "thing" on the top left next to the blue link and you should see this:

ChooseUpload.jpg
No - I just see the link (no arrow) and a field with "http://" in it. I tried Chrome and Firefox.

Rapraf

Reaction score
In this thread, by the way, I do see what you showed. But on the forum for Buy, Sell, Trade forum I only get this:
1597111466712.png

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In this thread, by the way, I do see what you showed. But on the forum for Buy, Sell, Trade forum I only get this:
1597111466712.png

Ahh - thank you. So in theory you should not be able to post at all in B/S/T until you have 10 posts or more. That system is... not working well.

Reply to this twice so you have 10 posts and let me know if that changes please.