How to use Attachments

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Click on the image icon like you normally would:

ImageUpload-1.jpg

It will probably default to URL. This is useful for grabbing images from other places and having them stored here which is something I highly recommend so that things like Photobucket breaking the Internet don't affect us here.

To do this, enter the URL of an image on the Internet and make sure the box shown is checked (it is by default). For those used to the old way, this is the same, only now there's the extra box.

ImageUpload-3.jpg

To grab an image from your computer, clicl on the "From Computer" tab on the top of the dialog box, then click "Choose file". This will open a dialog where you can grab photos from your computer (hooray!).

ImageUpload-2.jpg

This is where it gets weird. In order to actually upload the image, you have to click a button that's clearly not made to look like a button. Click on the words "Upload File(s)" and the magic will happen.

ImageUpload-4.jpg

That's it! I've tweaked the forum so that it looks the same as it always has. In fact, this post was done using upload images.

Some notes and rules:

1. This is for LTG use only. If I find people hot-linking from here to other sites I'll disable hot-linking
  2. You have a size limit associated with your user. It's large, but it's not endless. If you run out of space talk to me and we'll see what's up with that.
  3. Violation of these rules will result in talkings-to, warnings, and/or banishment of a temporary or permanent nature depending on the offense
  4. The mods and admins can see all of your photos. You have no privacy here, so don't expect any.
  5. DO NOT POST OFFENSIVE PHOTOS! When in doubt, don't.

Honestly, the rules should be what you're already used to, but this is a new feature and I want to make sure everyone understands that it comes with limitations.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Grumble. I'm looking into this...
I'm still getting the same ol' "Add an image from URL", not that it was ever an impediment for me.
I'm not even sure I'm getting what's intended to be different from the instructions.
OK here's what I'm not sure about:
Is the new process going to upload everything we link to or is there still the option to simply use the old linking process for stuff that doesn't really need to be hosted here?
In any case, once again thanks for everything.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm still getting the same ol' "Add an image from URL", not that it was ever an impediment for me.
I'm not even sure I'm getting what's intended to be different from the instructions.
OK here's what I'm nit sure about:
Is the new process going to upload everything we link to or is there still the option to simply use the old linking process for stuff that doesn't really need to be hosted here?
In any case, once again thanks for everything.

It turns out we are beta testing the new process but it's not quite there yet. I think the intent is to check the box and retrieve locally if it is something important fetched from another host. My definition of "important" would be something Guild related where information would be lost if the host removed the image. (Car pics and joke illustrations don't really qualify but that's not enforceable in practice until space limits are reached). The Upload Files from Computer would be for pictures you have on your computer that are not shared elsewhere but you would like displayed on LTG. Unless there is a problem with content the only real issue will be space and we are all learning those rules as we go along.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Let's try this. DSC_0085.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to have worked. This was imported directly from my computer not from a website.

- - - Updated - - -

It also added the update directly to the original post rather than making a second.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Spot on, and it should be working now.
OK, so if I "uncheck" the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box, it won't waste space here?
(It's checked by default when I looked, just now. It looks like I can uncheck it but still proceed with the "old" linking method)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, so if I "uncheck" the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box, it won't waste space here?
(It's checked by default when I looked, just now. It looks like I can uncheck it but still proceed with the "old" linking method)

Correct.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Works! How do you get it to be larger? *** ignore this! It was small in my "post reply" box, but big once it posted! Very nice!

walrus

2011 Guild F30RCE in case.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, my turn to try.... :tiger:

nnv649.jpg

It's working. :encouragement:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Click on the image icon like you normally would:

ImageUpload-1.jpg

It will probably default to URL. This is useful for grabbing images from other places and having them stored here which is something I highly recommend so that things like Photobucket breaking the Internet don't affect us here.

To do this, enter the URL of an image on the Internet and make sure the box shown is checked (it is by default). For those used to the old way, this is the same, only now there's the extra box.

ImageUpload-3.jpg

To grab an image from your computer, clicl on the "From Computer" tab on the top of the dialog box, then click "Choose file". This will open a dialog where you can grab photos from your computer (hooray!).

ImageUpload-2.jpg

This is where it gets weird. In order to actually upload the image, you have to click a button that's clearly not made to look like a button. Click on the words "Upload File(s)" and the magic will happen.

ImageUpload-4.jpg

That's it! I've tweaked the forum so that it looks the same as it always has. In fact, this post was done using upload images.

Some notes and rules:

1. This is for LTG use only. If I find people hot-linking from here to other sites I'll disable hot-linking
  2. You have a size limit associated with your user. It's large, but it's not endless. If you run out of space talk to me and we'll see what's up with that.
  3. Violation of these rules will result in talkings-to, warnings, and/or banishment of a temporary or permanent nature depending on the offense
  4. The mods and admins can see all of your photos. You have no privacy here, so don't expect any.
  5. DO NOT POST OFFENSIVE PHOTOS! When in doubt, don't.

Honestly, the rules should be what you're already used to, but this is a new feature and I want to make sure everyone understands that it comes with limitations.

Enjoy!

I don't see the function icons in GAD's first image when I hit reply to thread. What am I doing wrong?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Click "go to advanced", though the image icon should work the same either way.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey GAD, I tried that, and it only shows the emoji icons. I'm using a Samsung tablet but displaying the full website.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Under Settgings, General, Miscellaneous, see if this is checked:

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.28.05 PM.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
Just trying this out.
IMGP0989.jpg
Worked from the computer!