Recording Songs

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know you could just start using a self-contained multitrack digital recorder like the ones Boss, Tascam, and Zoom make. Those are great little recorders and that's what a lot of people (maybe most) use when they're just learning the ropes of home recording. And they won't break the bank. You can render tracks to a finished, mastered mix with effects within the unit itself or you can export those tracks into a DAW when you've got that part figured out. These record to SD cards. Your sound quality using one of these digital recorders is going to be worlds ahead of an iPhone rig or some other configuration using your phone.

Sorry to butt in here but the last thing you need at this stage is to be caught up in all these technical questions that I've seen flying around. You need something that is easy to use so you can get up and running. You should having fun laying down tracks, over-dubbing, experimenting with the use of compression, reverb, delays, chorus effects, etc. Back in the day, Tascam made a 4-track cassette recorder (called a Portastudio I think) that was so simple to use and get started with multi-tracking. It was like something sent from the heavens above to those of us that wanted to record demos at home. Those were so much fun to play around with and they didn't have nearly the capabilities that we have in the modern day digital recorders. Peace and good luck.

True that.��
Here's an example of a out door recording using the Zoom H4N , using the onboard mics.
Listen to Morning Breeze by Ray kohn on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/morning-breeze

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in here but the last thing you need at this stage is to be caught up in all these technical questions that I've seen flying around. You need something that is easy to use so you can get up and running.
100% agree, side question: do any of those units have input for an "outside" mic?
Since there's at least concensus that that's one item that "pays off"?

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
100% agree, side question: do any of those units have input for an "outside" mic?
Since there's at least concensus that that's one item that "pays off"?

Yes sir, they most certainly do with XLR inputs with 48v phantom power

Last edited:

kostask

Reaction score
You know you could just start using a self-contained multitrack digital recorder like the ones Boss, Tascam, and Zoom make. Those are great little recorders and that's what a lot of people (maybe most) use when they're just learning the ropes of home recording. And they won't break the bank. You can render tracks to a finished, mastered mix with effects within the unit itself or you can export those tracks into a DAW when you've got that part figured out. These record to SD cards. Your sound quality using one of these digital recorders is going to be worlds ahead of an iPhone rig or some other configuration using your phone.

Sorry to butt in here but the last thing you need at this stage is to be caught up in all these technical questions that I've seen flying around. You need something that is easy to use so you can get up and running. You should having fun laying down tracks, over-dubbing, experimenting with the use of compression, reverb, delays, chorus effects, etc. Back in the day, Tascam made a 4-track cassette recorder (called a Portastudio I think) that was so simple to use and get started with multi-tracking. It was like something sent from the heavens above to those of us that wanted to record demos at home. Those were so much fun to play around with and they didn't have nearly the capabilities that we have in the modern day digital recorders. Peace and good luck.

thought I wrote that on page 2 of this topic.

with one of the Digital recorders doing the actual recording onto SD cards (typically), you can read the recordings into either PC or Mac and use whatever processing/DAW/Studio software you like.

Also, most of the digital recorders can be used as interfaces, so you can connect internal or external microphones to a computer (PC or MAC) via USB.