Recording Songs

midnightright

Reaction score
Well, in case anybody is checking this out, and interested in the IRig pre, beware that it states clearly in the ad that the iRig pre recorder app comes free with purchase. I just found out the hard way that the one they are talking about it already free “the le.” The one that costs $14.99 is still $14,99, according to customer support. This is despite the manual giving you a scan code that claims to direct you to the “free apps.” Heads imploding!

Also, because I cannot solve some of the problems cited above—mainly how to use SoundCloud (do you need a subscription?) & GarageBand (can’t convert audio file to format for uploading with iPhone), I’ve tried using an iRig pre mic. Got the converting lightning to 3.5 mm cable. Doesn’t fit the jack (of the mic)! It seems to be 3 x’s smaller or so (than the adapting plug—female end).

Why! Did I try to do this at this stage of my life....

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, in case anybody is checking this out, and interested in the IRig pre, beware that it states clearly in the ad that the iRig pre recorder app comes free with purchase. I just found out the hard way that the one they are talking about it already free “the le.” The one that costs $14.99 is still $14,99, according to customer support. This is despite the manual giving you a scan code that claims to direct you to the “free apps.” Heads imploding!

Also, because I cannot solve some of the problems cited above—mainly how to use SoundCloud (do you need a subscription?) & GarageBand (can’t convert audio file to format for uploading with iPhone), I’ve tried using an iRig pre mic. Got the converting lightning to 3.5 mm cable. Doesn’t fit the jack (of the mic)! It seems to be 3 x’s smaller or so (than the adapting plug—female end).

Why! Did I try to do this at this stage of my life....

Yes you need a account with sound cloud they have a limit on the free account you can upgrade anytime to pro.

If things haven't changed iPhone or iPad record in mp4
If sound cloud won't except that you a audio converter like Switch audio file converter . There's an app or PC DL.
You need to convert to Mp3 or wave ,wave files take longer to up load .
There other formats but you won't need those I believe.

midnightright

Reaction score
Oh, my goodness thank-you, Rayk! I can't believe the size & scope of subject I've tried to tackle... Sure wish you could just plug & play (but for the clicks). Found out you need a tps to tpps converter or adapter; for the jack mishap--so once you've got all those connected (remember my phone has no headphones plug), I'm not sure it sounds any better. Louder? With greater or enhanced depth? Yes. But also, a billion times more distortions. I've noticed a lot of folks (e. g. Joe Bonamassa), don't appear to use anything more advanced or sophisticated than their iphones/ipads. Maybe this is one reason why... I'm wondering if my laptop and it's Intel i3 has enough horsepower for the focusrite scarlett 2i2? Apparently, the UA Arrow needs a 7 or higher. And, I don't even know if it's appropriate for acoustics -- the YouTuber is an electric player. I had a moment of levity, which has now righteously escaped me!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes your laptop has enough power if it's not clogged up with a bunch of stuff . Lol

If you get into multi tracking in this case I mean like 16 + tracks or more and have tones of effects going you'll have issues but for 16 tracks or less light on effects you should be good.
One if my favorite groups" Refracked Memories" records with iPad but Mike doesn't use garage band .

I was going to set my iPad for this but never got to it.

If I had a choice between iPhone and iPad I would prefer using the iPad just because of the real estate. ��

PC Daws Record in Wave and MP3 as a standard but Flac formats are becoming more desirable from more professional groups . Daws upgrade every year so other recording formats are incorporated .

Some can also incorporate Video which would be nice for some , I don't know if my Daw has that option it would be nice it never did before . Lol

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I can't believe the size & scope of subject I've tried to tackle...

Hang in there, midnight! Might take a while, but it'll come together. Once you figure things out, then it's easy! :tiger:

I'm wondering if my laptop and it's Intel i3 has enough horsepower for the focusrite scarlett 2i2? Apparently, the UA Arrow needs a 7 or higher....

The Arrow is a lot more expensive, too. The Scarlett is just an interface and really doesn't require any "horsepower," although you may need to load up a specific driver program so your laptop "understands" the input from Scarlett.

Keep at it and keep asking questions here if you've got 'em. I'm sure there's somebody here that'll be able to help...

eq.gif

midnightright

Reaction score
Thanks for all of this! I will definitely do my best to keep everything in mind as I continue on this journey. I think it was Nick Drake’s Producer, or Recording Engineer, or someone involved with his sound, that said “the best microphone in the world isn’t going to make you sound like a better guitar player than you are!”

Apparently after he died. People would come to the studio in search of his sound, or tone, and were often dumbfounded afterwards with the results (or lack thereof). I wonder if the reverse is also true: can the worst microphone in the world make you sound like a worse guitar player than you are?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of this! I will definitely do my best to keep everything in mind as I continue on this journey. I think it was Nick Drake’s Producer, or Recording Engineer, or someone involved with his sound, that said “the best microphone in the world isn’t going to make you sound like a better guitar player than you are!”

Apparently after he died. People would come to the studio in search of his sound, or tone, and were often dumbfounded afterwards with the results (or lack thereof). I wonder if the reverse is also true: can the worst microphone in the world make you sound like a worse guitar player than you are?

Kinda doubt it. It's the old "injun not the arrow" thing.
It might make the guitar sound it's giving less than it really can, though.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the reverse is also true: can the worst microphone in the world make you sound like a worse guitar player than you are?

I don't think do because like Al said it's the players skill . From a musicians side we'd recognize the players ability .
What would effect everyone is the fact that recording or instrument sounds bad .

I always say if you really want to know what your acoustic sounds like stick it in front of a mic.

midnightright

Reaction score
Yes, this is very good advice! I’ve figured out how to do just that & then get it into GarageBand. However, what the heck I’m supposed to do (if anything?), after that, is anyone’s best guess—anyone but mine’s! I can listen to it on my phone! Lovely...

Alternatively, I’m considering upgrading my computer system. Anyone know if Macs are superior these days for this sort of thing? When I was looking into embarking on a filmmaking expedition about a decade or so ago, that’s what everybody was telling me: that they were best for video editing & etc. Needless to say, that was eons ago! ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't have a mac but I'd have one if I could . Lol
I'm stuck in cost effective Windows . I need a new system as well .
I built this one and it serves me well but I want a stand alone system for recording .
I'm kind of a pack rat not wanting to get rid of any thing I do. I need to go through two hard drives 3 if you count my Laptop . Lol
Oh that laptop only has a celeron 900 processor. Lol
And she handles multi tracking fairly good just in case anyone else is wondering how much power you need . Haha .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Macs are superior these days for this sort of thing? When I was looking into embarking on a filmmaking expedition about a decade or so ago, that’s what everybody was telling me: that they were best for video editing & etc. Needless to say, that was eons ago! ;)
I was selling computers when the Mac II was introduced and one of the points made at an Apple orientation seminar was that the Mac OS was specifically designed to be superior to PC's when it came to processing media files, I suspect it still holds true. It's also much more "virus proof" than PC-type machines but as Ray mentioned you gotta pay the admission fee.
If money was no object I'd go Mac and still might when I get around to it.

Grassdog

Reaction score
Anyone know if Macs are superior these days for this sort of thing? When I was looking into embarking on a filmmaking expedition about a decade or so ago, that’s what everybody was telling me: that they were best for video editing & etc. Needless to say, that was eons ago! ;)

Macs may still have an edge over PC's in this regard, but I don't think the gap is nearly as wide as it used to be. Especially if you're running a PC with one of the latest Intel Core processors and good sound card. I think most of the top music software programs run fine on PC's.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I think most of the top music software programs run fine on PC's.

I expect that's true. My iMac, however, doesn't need a driver for a focusrite scarlett audio interface. It's plug and play.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Late to the party - again.

On my active days in recording studio - we had mixing consoles about 3 meters long with closer to 500 knobs and dozens of meters - the big consoles today are way bigger. Anyway - it was not only once or twice, when some artist arriving the studio first time in his/her career saw the equipment and exclaimed obviously quite sincerely : "With all that you can make me sound so good!" Unfortunately it wasn't so.

We had a standing joke when someone would ask i.e. "Can you make me sound like Rod Stewart?" - we would then spend next 10-15 minutes hovering over the console while going through every channel strip - and finally saying : "I'm sorry - there is no such switch - you have to do it yourself."

About recording digitally with pc or MAC - initial setup is usually easier with MAC - mostly plug and play - like Cougar said - with pc there is the hassle of getting the hardware and software work together. Once wrestled - afterwards usually no problem. I use Behringer X32 digital console as soundcard - it is powerful tool with 32 channels via USB - enough for my purposes - I also mix with it, while I'm used to controlling multiple faders simultaneously with my fingers - every channel has more processing than I ever need - plus there is a built-in effects rack and insert points to use external processing, if needed. It connects via USB to my 2008 MacBook for live recordings. Mackbook has Tracktion editor - which I use like tape recorder - I do not use any procession there, while it is much easier for me to use the X32 - final mix goes directly to USB-stick - there is a place for it in the front panel of X32. Editing - or cropping in my case - of the final mix is done on my pc - while my SONY Sound Forge does not play with MAC.

If I'd get another 2-track-editor for MAC - or pehaps I could do that even with Tracktion - never tried - the hardware part Is not expensive at all - old MAC + new digital mixer with USB-interface - all under 1000USD - even under 500USD if you choose another mixer. Because the processing power is built into the mixing board, the computer does not have to have plenty of muscle.

Bunch of good microphones - that's another pile of money - I have several, that are over grand - but they really sound great.

No need to use "exotic spices on rotten peace of meat" afterwards - saves a lot of time, too - when everything sounds better from the start.

midnightright

Reaction score
Thanks for all the computer help, folks! I need it. I also don’t know if it is still true that a desktop has more power (ram?) than a laptop—if comparing similar models, or what have you. It looks like they may be cheaper, in Mac land if I’m looking at the right things, in the right places (no guarantees).

And an especially thanks to Nuuska, for lending me his wisdom and expertise! I appreciate your experiences shared greatly. As a footnote: the iPhone sounds better recoding by itself than with either the iRig or condenser mic I bought. I’m sure I’m do in g something wrong—but I can’t get rid of the “put the needle on the record” type sounds with the others..;)

Alternatively, I remember as a child, my parents had this tape cassette recording & playing device that was rectangular in shape, with five or six buttons below the cassette tape. And you’d just push play/record & be good to go! Sure do miss those days—:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As a footnote: the iPhone sounds better recoding by itself than with either the iRig or condenser mic I bought.
So there's potential to train the cat to be a videographer after all?
I’m sure I’m do in g something wrong—but I can’t get rid of the “put the needle on the record” type sounds with the others..;)
Suspect it must be picking up ambient noises you may be "filtering out" from full awareness.
Just realized also that great mic of my buddy's I mentioned was also pretty good at picking up pick noises on the top when I'd use certain styles.
Audible as "taps" almost like a flamenco player's golpes but I never hear 'em when playing...
Could it be something like that, some noise you're making that doesn't even register to you?

Grassdog

Reaction score
Alternatively, I remember as a child, my parents had this tape cassette recording & playing device that was rectangular in shape, with five or six buttons below the cassette tape. And you’d just push play/record & be good to go! Sure do miss those days—:)

You know you could just start using a self-contained multitrack digital recorder like the ones Boss, Tascam, and Zoom make. Those are great little recorders and that's what a lot of people (maybe most) use when they're just learning the ropes of home recording. And they won't break the bank. You can render tracks to a finished, mastered mix with effects within the unit itself or you can export those tracks into a DAW when you've got that part figured out. These record to SD cards. Your sound quality using one of these digital recorders is going to be worlds ahead of an iPhone rig or some other configuration using your phone.

Sorry to butt in here but the last thing you need at this stage is to be caught up in all these technical questions that I've seen flying around. You need something that is easy to use so you can get up and running. You should having fun laying down tracks, over-dubbing, experimenting with the use of compression, reverb, delays, chorus effects, etc. Back in the day, Tascam made a 4-track cassette recorder (called a Portastudio I think) that was so simple to use and get started with multi-tracking. It was like something sent from the heavens above to those of us that wanted to record demos at home. Those were so much fun to play around with and they didn't have nearly the capabilities that we have in the modern day digital recorders. Peace and good luck.