Recording Songs

midnightright

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about recording sound for acoustic guitar and vocals. I just ordered a condenser mic, xlr cable, stand and know that I need an interface or mixer, plus some sort of software for my laptop pc.

Am I missing anything to simply record myself singing and playing my guitar, in my living room? Would two mics be necessary for what I’m doing? It comes with a shock mount and is cardioid polar pattern. It looks like about a foot away distance wise picks up the maximum amount of sound from video reviews online. It requires 48 volts of phantom power.

Thanks if you have any suggestions—& I apologize if this is not the type of topic that can be encompassed in the scope of a single post! I’m not the least bit technically savy.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I have a small home studio and have recorded several CD's of my own music and have recorded a bunch of other Cd's for other local musicians. I have two projects in the works now. If all you want is to capture song ideas or create demo level recordings then the hardware you have, plus a audio interface will be fine. I would not suggest you buy a mixer. A single mic, preferable a large diameter condenser, will suffice for now. Rather than a outboard mixer, I would suggest you look at several of the DAW options. Digital Audio Interface. The industry standard is Pro Tools. I use a DAW called Reaper that I like very much. Reaper is very robust. Cost effective. It will do everything you want and should you decide to take your recordings to a more professional, polished level it will still do everything you need. All the DAWs now come with a huge number of plugins; compressors, EQ, reverb, limiters, etc.. Much better approach for the home studio than a bunch of outboard gear.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I can tell you there's 2 guys here who I put a lot of faith in for credibility, Rayk and Nuuska, and both of 'em say the single most important element in the chain is a high quality mic.
Nuuska in fact was a professional "sound man" for many years
I just didn't remember if evenkeel had posted about the topic before but I suspect he'd agree.
I only recently came to understand how correct they were when I revisited material I recorded with a buddy around 10 years ago, and remembered he also used to experiment with different mics and upgraded over a couple of years.
The quality of the late stuff is not only discernibly superior to the earlier stuff but light years beyond the quality of my GF's cell phone vids, which I'd become accustomed to over the last 3 years.
All done in my living room just like the cell phone vids, that room has good proportions for recording acoustic instruments and the furniture acts as a baffle on one wall.
He actually used to place the mic around 7-8 feet away and between us so it also captured some of the room dynamics, adding just a tiny bit of reverb and "depth".
He recorded to a mini-cassette deck and then downloaded to computer later so he could make CD's, nothing was ever run though any editing software.
"Food for thought".
PS, pm's pending.
:smile:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I just got a handheld Tascam DR05x which is a pretty simple way of recording yourself.

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
This is such a long rabbit hole of a subject. First, I applaud you for taking the plunge into home recording. Take it from someone who's been doing it for awhile (15 years at least), it's not so much the quality of the equipment you buy/use, it's your skill/technique in the craft. I'm talking about mic placement, proper pre-amp settings, understanding EQ'ing (knowing what frequencies to cut and which ones to boost), and finally mastering. The bottom line is this - there is no substitute for experience and trial and error. None, period. You have to jump in and start. There are tons of places to get tips (YouTube, online tutorials, books, etc.). There are some really good tutorial videos I found on YouTube (RecordingRevolution) that helped me a lot. You may end up buying some online courses (I did) and those dollars spent were far more valuable than going out and buying the next most expensive mic or interface or whatever. Once I figured some stuff out I turned into a minimalist and ended selling gear I didn't need. Don't get discouraged, it's a lot of fun recording songs and mixing tracks. My set-up consists of a Focusrite Scarlett pre-amp, 2 Shure SM-81 condensor mics, an AKG 214 condenser mic, and my laptop with an I7 processor. I run Mixcraft 8 on my DAW. Good luck and have a blast.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
All I want to do is play and sing. When I get real serious about recording I'll buy some studio time.

Or I'll go visit Grassdog...I owe him a visit, he's been here a couple times.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Take it from someone who's been doing it for awhile (15 years at least)....

My first recordings were on a wire recorder. That sort of puts a date on my efforts! Still, I'm more of a player and less of a recording technician....

My set-up consists of a Focusrite Scarlett pre-amp....

Otherwise known as an audio interface (with pre-amp). That's what I use, too. As Focusrite claims:

Scarlett 2i2 is the best selling USB audio interface in the world, and for good reason. ... Take it anywhere, connect by a single USB cable to a computer, plug two mics or instruments straight in, and easily record studio quality audio.

....2 Shure SM-81 condensor mics, an AKG 214 condenser mic, and my laptop with an I7 processor. I run Mixcraft 8 on my DAW.

I'm not big into vocals, so I've only got a cheap mic. Might not be optimal, but you can plug an acoustic/electric guitar right into the Scarlett. I picked up cubase elements on a stupid deal of the day for 80 bucks. Multitracking is fun! :tiger:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I can record as easy as pushing the button on the same BOSS Micro BR I've have for going on 15 years.

I record often, almost daily if good stuff is coming out.

A) I can never remember half the stuff I play.

B) It may be crap, I like to review.

C) Guitar testing. Lately there's lot of recordings of the same little ditties in real time where the playing stops, a guitar gets switched out and the new one announced.

D) I might actually want someone else to hear something I've played, if it's good enough.

Truthfully, I have hundreds of recordings I may never listen to, but I have them. I also have many recordings of guitars that are gone, which is cool.

The Micro BR is probably almost outdated as a Fostex 4 track cassette now, but still more machine than I've ever need. It will do 16 tracks.

I've never done even a single sound on sound.

It runs on two rechargeable Eneloop AA's, fits into a small jacket pocket.

I've sent people recordings done on the coffee table with this thing that got compliments on the recording quality.

I could probably really use an interface, and then mess with the music in the computer, but;

A) I already spend more than enough time on the computer.

B) I don't want to make perfect songs, or try to embellish in the computer. Play something worth recording and record it. It's like Photoshop, I haven't done it in over a decade. Shoot it right.

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
I can record as easy as pushing the button on the same BOSS Micro BR I've have for going on 15 years.

I love those small BOSS, ZOOM, Tascam (etc.) handheld digital mutil-track recorders. That's what I started on. The on board effects and mastering pre-sets are just ridiculously good for the money. A bit of a learning curve, to be sure, if you're going to use those to their fullest capability but hey it's fun playing around with this stuff. Really, if you're recording just vocals and guitar, you don't need any more than 4 tracks. With these units you can combine and bounce tracks if necessary to create more tracks. The techonology available today (and for several years now) for home recording is pretty amazing when you think about it. I've heard it said that the average home recording studio today is far more advanced technologically than Abbey Road was when the Beatles recorded there. Unfortunately, none of us have George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Ken Scott, etc. to produce/engineer our sessions.

kostask

Reaction score
The fastest, and possibly cheapest is the digital recorders made by Boss, Tascam, Zoom, and a few others. They all come in with built in Microphones of decent quality. Some can also add external microphones with phantom power (I know the Zoom H5/H6 can), and simultaneously record 4 tracks, or just the internal mics, or just the external mics. Most have the ability to "add" tracks, as in add tracks onto already recorded tracks, and most have some effects (reverb, limiters. compressors, etc.) of various quality levels.

One of these recroders will be cheaper than the microphone(s)/mixer/interface setup, and faster/easier to get working properly.

I do use an older Zoom H4n to record bar bands regularly.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of us have George Martin, Geoff Emerick, Ken Scott, etc. to produce/engineer our sessions.
Excellent point.
Although I don't think our OP is going for his first solo album or full-fledged studio effects, I'll never forget discovering just how much Eddie Kramer added to Hendrix's "sound" on Are you Experienced until I heard the raw tracks he plays in "Classic Albums: Are You Experienced"
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/ImGonnaDJ/classic_albums_dvd_series/

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

midnightright

Reaction score
Thank you all very, very much!!! I’ve got to figure out a way to save this thread so I can refer back to it over time. There are so many good ideas and options to consider. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Yes, I’m basically looking to upgrade the iPhone capabilities. I did watch some reviews of that interface mentioned—focusrite scarlett 2i2; & I believe it came with Pro Tools (meaning perhaps killing two birds with one stone?).

Eventually, I’d like to graduate to more refined and developed methods, but to begin, I understand that no teacher is better than to, “learn by doing.” However, I appreciate some of the shortcuts offered to help jumpstart me now & greatly reduce the amount of time dedicated to self research (which may not have yielded results / conclusions nearly as good).

I feel a little bit like a guy who says, “I just bought my first guitar: it’s says Guild on it.” Any tips?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thank you all very, very much!!! I’ve got to figure out a way to save this thread so I can refer back to it over time.
Being clueless about iPhone operating system, is there not a way to bookmark the page in a browser?
I've started doing that myself, recently, on a desktop with Chrome and IE.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
As with TV's, phones and many other things the cost of entry has fallen dramatically in the world of home recording. The days of needing a Neve console and Neumann microphones are well in the rear view mirror. I also use the Scarlett 2i2. For multi tracking it's a very cost effective audio interface. I have songs with over 30 tracks all recorded with the 2i2. The link below is to a 50 microphone test from Sweetwater. When the subject of microphones comes up, always a hot topic in the world of recording, I like to point this link out. I'll not prejudice this with my thoughts other than to say before you drop $5k on a Neumann, Bock, Chandler etc., have a listen.

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

kostask

Reaction score
Al:

You can save it as any number of things if you use Safari. Just hit the box with the arrow pointing upwards (middle icon at the bottom). This will open up a bunch of ways to go. If you scroll that upwards, you can get to Add Bookmark, Add to Favourites, or Add to Home Screen. Do as you wish from there.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A guy I know in NY was saying to me to record in .... oh jeeze it's been so long. I think it was record it in memos in iPhone and then the sound will not be altered. I wish I could have someone help me record something nice. I have some bad stuff and I sent one to Christopher Cozad and he was kind enough to say, "If you open this in the right program and (unsaid, probably play better) then you'd be amazed. I can play badly almost every day. And every now and then, I can sound almost alright. On a good day....

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...focusrite scarlett 2i2; & I believe it came with Pro Tools (meaning perhaps killing two birds with one stone?)....

Right - the Scarlett often comes bundled with a software DAW, which is a good way to go.

The Scarlett is not just a way to get your sounds into your computer. Its important function is to reduce latency. When you're recording a new track while playing along with existing tracks, there is a time lag between when you hear the output and when you play your input, so on playback, your new track will sound a bit late - doesn't quite synch up. With an audio interface, the latency is reduced to a minimal number of microseconds. This keeps subsequent tracks in synch with previous tracks. The time lag is hardly noticeable.

Focusrite apparently coordinated with Apple - no driver needed on a Mac. With a PC, you'll want to load up the latest driver for the Scarlett. Should be free on the web somewhere. Not a big deal, but necessary!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Playing is so different - for me - everytime. Maybe it speaks more to my ADD than anything else, but even in the time it takes me to get a recorder, that killer riff I just came up with is almost gone, or doesn't have the same conviction. The clever phrasing that made it special has passed.

It's so much about mood - for me - and if I try to record something while already thinking about something else, I just turn it off, so I can do down some rabbit holes and hopefully remember some of it.

Don't let recording get in the way of your exploring.

Or just leave it on and explore, and you'll hear things that are cool that you really have no idea what you did there, and those are the coolest parts, because it's intriguing.

In my head I always identify with guitar music in two ways.

I know what the guitar player is doing, or I have no clue what the guitar player is doing. The former makes you feel comfortable, and the latter leaves you feeling a little mystified.

At the end of the day, we should all play as differently as we are different.

Be yourself.

Last edited: