Recording Songs

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about recording sound for acoustic guitar and vocals. I just ordered a condenser mic, xlr cable, stand and know that I need an interface or mixer, plus some sort of software for my laptop pc.

Am I missing anything to simply record myself singing and playing my guitar, in my living room? Would two mics be necessary for what I’m doing? It comes with a shock mount and is cardioid polar pattern. It looks like about a foot away distance wise picks up the maximum amount of sound from video reviews online. It requires 48 volts of phantom power.

Thanks if you have any suggestions—& I apologize if this is not the type of topic that can be encompassed in the scope of a single post! I’m not the least bit technically savy.

Depending on how you want start either one or two mics . As you learn and develop you would most likely get into two mics plus .
Also two mics might help better if you playing and singing at the same time so you can get both guitar and vox at a more equal level instead one source being louder then the other.

Recording stereo tracks you'd need a two mic configuration.

You can multi track with one mic as well .

You have options like USB mics so no interface needed
There are plenty of free Daws to get started.
Studio one by presonus is great . If you have apple you already have Garage Band .

Lots of things to make you scratch your head over but it sounds more complicated then it is at least at the start lol

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about recording sound for acoustic guitar and vocals. I just ordered a condenser mic, xlr cable, stand and know that I need an interface or mixer, plus some sort of software for my laptop pc.

Am I missing anything to simply record myself singing and playing my guitar, in my living room? Would two mics be necessary for what I’m doing? It comes with a shock mount and is cardioid polar pattern. It looks like about a foot away distance wise picks up the maximum amount of sound from video reviews online. It requires 48 volts of phantom power.

Thanks if you have any suggestions—& I apologize if this is not the type of topic that can be encompassed in the scope of a single post! I’m not the least bit technically savy.

Depending on how you want start either one or two mics . As you learn and develop you would most likely get into two mics plus .
Also two mics might help better if you playing and singing at the same time so you can get both guitar and vox at a more equal level instead one source being louder then the other.

Recording stereo tracks you'd need a two mic configuration.

You can multi track with one mic as well .

You have options like USB mics so no interface needed
There are plenty of free Daws to get started.
Studio one by presonus is great . If you have apple you already have Garage Band .

Lots of things to make scratch your head over but it sounds more complicated then it is at least at the start lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know what the guitar player is doing, or I have no clue what the guitar player is doing. The former makes you feel comfortable, and the latter leaves you feeling a little mystified.

At the end of the day, we should al play as differently as we are different.

Be yourself

"Word".
When feeling inadequate, to thine own muse be true.
And an acoustic guitar keeps ya honest.
:glee:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I toggle between these three options..

PC / Scarlett Interface - I use this with Ableton and sometimes it is a bit cumbersome but yields a pretty solid product.

Iphone / I-Rig Pre - This is my most common recording set up because I am lazy and it is easy..

Memos on my Iphone - The easiest and used primarily for getting down ideas.

For the iphone / i-rig and pc / scarlett options the common denominator is a REALLY GOOD MICROPHONE.. In my case an AKG C414 condenser.. An industry standard with lots of recording pattern options.. Granted you don't need one this expensive for a good recording. These days they are making condensers that sound pretty solid in the $200 - $400 category.. Make sure whatever you are recording through ( interface ) has the phantom / 48v power capability..

midnightright

Reaction score
Wow! Great, great advice from all of you! I appreciate you sharing your experiences and ideas... That SoundCloud clip sounds pretty good—was that “Last Christmas?” Very nice either way-

I see that there are an endless array of microphone options available: excellent example of some samples there on Sweetwater. I actually already ordered a used MXL 770 & I doubt that it would fall into the high end/quality bracket/range. Hopefully, it can get me started.

I just noticed over time how many people just singing and playing in their bedrooms used mics on YouTube, and I always thought, “Man! That really sounds good.”

Here are a couple of examples that Ola England recommends on his Channel:

https://www.amazon.com/Apogee-Jam-Plus-Instrument-Interface/dp/B07GG18DVZ

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Audio-Arrow-Thunderbolt-Interface/dp/B0794P3R35

If you don’t know who he is, here he explains why he likes them (good guitar inputs, etc.):

https://youtu.be/CAIkQLpCqrw

Is the memo on iPhone under “voice memos?” I wonder if that’s what Kirk Hammet had his countless ideas saved on for Metallica’s last record that he either lost, or wasn’t able to find when it came time to go in the studio! ;) Actually, most of the rock guitar players I’ve admired over the years have used something similar, when coming up with knee parts, because other wise they may forget. (I wish I had that problem—the ability to come up with interesting bits)...

midnightright

Reaction score
And yes, I would likely be playing and singing at the same time. I may just get either the i-Rig or something similar to begin, until I can get the gen 3 Scarlett or whatever. I use a PC Laptop that has an intel CORE i3. And iPhone7. Acoustically, I would not be plugging in as I don’t have electronics in my guitar. Electric wise, of course... Pretty much, most of the pieces of information folks have passed along, especially on the recording process, I did not already know! :) So, thank-you!!!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Like others have quoted - I strongly recommend good quality microphone. After that 2-penny s%&/t looses your beautiful tone - no plug-in can recover it. Like trying to salvage rotten piece of meat with exotic spices.

BUT - depending of your actual goals - recording with an old iPhone may be ok if the room sounds good. Here is one example - I'm playing guitar with an iPhone mounted on stand about 4-5 feet away. I do not sing in public - anymore that is ...

So - one or two reasonable good mic's - available @ 300 USD or even less - a decent USB-interface - a free editor like Tracktion or ??? - you will be ready to go.

Finally - my playing on this forum - https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/s...uska-plays-Guild&highlight=Nuuska+Plays+Guild - recorded with iPhone - no other editing besides cutting beginning and end.

midnightright

Reaction score
Awesome man, awesome! And thanks! That’s very helpful advice... You know, I always wondered why others found my short videos on Instagram any good—with just the use of the iPhone (I know technology is quite advanced and good).

But I also suspect that they enjoy the sound of my voice, or maybe it’s the total package (usually singer/songwriter stuff). And most of them were not guitar players; so, that helps!

Nice work, too! I’m impressed—

midnightright

Reaction score
Well, this is not off to a great start. The mic stand I ordered for the microphone does not fit the shockmount included with the MXL 770. I bought one that was under “accessories” for this exact mic (unless model specs have changed...).

I’m guessing it’s around three times too big a stand for the mount- I’m already ready to give up. The last thing to arrive is the XLR cable. Hopefully that fits! The stand was TT-6220 auray Telescoping Table Top.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Microphone schockmount adapters use two different threads - usually every adapter is fitted with the bigger "US"-thread 5/8 - 27 - and usually there is an insert thread-adapter, that allows use of 3/8 coarse thread. So simply unscrew the adapter and you should be ready to go.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I'll be getting an interface soon, and it'll probably be the Clarett rather than the Scarlett. Better reviews.

Used a couple of Tascams for years. Good, but not as good as a good DAW. Hope to build one soon (and make do with the mics I have).

crank

Reaction score
As long as I can get to a place where I can do this, I can die in peace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCIt40BUas&list=RD-xCIt40BUas&start_radio=1

(get my Prince on..;))

Always hated that song.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as I can get to a place where I can do this, I can die in peace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCIt40BUas&list=RD-xCIt40BUas&start_radio=1

(get my Prince on..;))

Always hated that song. Warren Zevon I think.

midnightright

Reaction score
Thanks for that! It worked—unscrewing the adapter (just needed a coin!). And hadn’t heard of the Scarlett; I’ll definitely look into it. Just waiting on the cable, and I’ll (hopefully!) be good to go... really do thank you all for everything , you’re amazing and then some.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it rolling along .
Enjoy ��

midnightright

Reaction score
Well, I just tried it for the first time, and I’m having problems with hearing lots of clicks, or cracks/pops. (Like oil splattering in a pan). It’s several times a second, and occurs regardless of whether or not I’m singing or playing my guitar.

Is it interference of some sort? Or something more complicated to diagnose due to the variety of factors/variables?

I’m just using my old iPhone, which requires an adapter/converter because it doesn’t have a headphone jack, the iRig pre, and my mic. I tried simply recording on GarageBand, which was supposedly three simple steps, but I can’t for the life of me get it to work right. This is the level of my technical savy... When I hit play, I just get a sample beat (& not what I just recorded).

So sorry if this is way too impossible or infuriating! Thanks if anybody has any most likely solutions.

midnightright

Reaction score
Okay, I just tried using Voice Memos instead of the video / photo on the camera for the first time (which is what I normally use on my phone), and the clicking sound went away. So, go figure!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just tried using Voice Memos instead of the video / photo on the camera for the first time (which is what I normally use on my phone), and the clicking sound went away. So, go figure!

While you're at it, just remembered I always loved Westerly Wood's "production method", always appealed to my sense of "run what ya brung" and utilizes minimal "processing".
From here:
https://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/s...stion-for-Westerly-Wood&p=1868529#post1868529
also, here is a soundcloud example of the Br with lights using the Gator 2.0mm and strumming faster than normal.
the recording is taken outside with iphone 7, from farther away than normal, i think i had it propped in a tree limb. then i boost volume in camtasia. still, all i know is, without the 2.0 mm picks, i just do not like what i hear.

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/quick-spring