A little help with a serial number

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been away from the board for a long time but was looking for a little help. An ad popped up on my local Craigslist that basically said Guild guitar for sale, needs a neck re-set. I contacted the guy and he said he's elderly and doesn't know anything about the guitar and was unable to send pics. He did offer to meet me at a local Mom and Pop to look it over so I'm pretty sure he's legit. He did send me the serial number-80643. It's about to monsoon out so before I venture out in the weather I was hoping one of you experts could tell me what model it is. He says he can't read the label on the inside. Thanks in advance
PS Yes, I know it would probably be better to e-mail Hans but I was hoping for a quick answer and I know he's a pretty busy guy sometimes

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The SN dates it to 1973, but during that period, SNs were NOT coded to specific models. So, the only person who MIGHT be able to help you out is Hans...

Go take a look at it. Wear your wellies... Good luck...

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
The SN dates it to 1973, but during that period, SNs were NOT coded to specific models. So, the only person who MIGHT be able to help you out is Hans...

Go take a look at it. Wear your wellies... Good luck...
Yeah, he said his friend bought it new in 72 so that checks out

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been away from the board for a long time but was looking for a little help. An ad popped up on my local Craigslist that basically said Guild guitar for sale, needs a neck re-set. I contacted the guy and he said he's elderly and doesn't know anything about the guitar and was unable to send pics. He did offer to meet me at a local Mom and Pop to look it over so I'm pretty sure he's legit. He did send me the serial number-80643. It's about to monsoon out so before I venture out in the weather I was hoping one of you experts could tell me what model it is. He says he can't read the label on the inside. Thanks in advance
PS Yes, I know it would probably be better to e-mail Hans but I was hoping for a quick answer and I know he's a pretty busy guy sometimes

Well here's the quick answer, but keep in mind that I may very well be wrong. I would think the guitar may be a Guild D-25 with a mahogany top and a braced back.

Good luck!

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....He did offer to meet me at a local Mom and Pop to look it over.... It's about to monsoon out....

With a pretty good snowstorm going on here, I can understand. But it sounds like you might want to meet up with the guy when the weather is more favorable!

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
With a pretty good snowstorm going on here, I can understand. But it sounds like you might want to meet up with the guy when the weather is more favorable!
I don't think he's going to have a lot of people beating down his door with the ad he posted. It's here if anyone wants to take a look

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stupid cheap there's no way I couldn't be in my car to get it if it was near, and we hadn't just had a giant snowstorm like we just did, bad enough they closed roads and people we know had to spend the night at Motel 6...

My experience with every old Guild that needs a neck set is that they don't once properly hydrated and lighter (than 13-56) strings installed...

2020 vision, that we all share now ;) has just recently showed me that my worst guitar for "needing a neck set" my '71 D35 60367 has the most marvelous bass and voice overall of all my other Guilds. They all sound a little tinnier by comparison. I didn't want to play it much because all my other Guilds had lower action, so I'd set it up in open D, but never took it out of the case on account that open D is about two years ago for me.

Then, I recently really discovered DADGAG, went quite mad for it actually, and here's another 2020 revelation; My oh my can you play some sweet lead bends on the high E and B strings in DADGAD, these two string being very slack.

It's odd how my least favorite of the guitars turned into the unmitigated gem that it is, but it's all about reception.

Another 2020 realization. I just really don't like the sound of an electric guitar, unplugged or plugged in. Plugged in sounds worse to my ears. What I do like is the sound of an acoustic plugged in. I put an old Dean Markley humbuck in the soundhole of my '73 D35 85024 and I freakin love it. After re-discovering how good higher action sounded on the '71, I did the oddest thing, I took the saddle off the '73, and raised it .025" and it was great, then I slipped the pickup in there, and seriously, tone heaven.

I'm sure this D25 will make somebody very very happy ;)