Reliving my Finnish (sort of), upbringing.

beecee

Reaction score
My Maternal Grandmother was a Helenius, from Finland, married a German, Schilling. My mom married a 100 % Italian.

We ate well...….

I really did not remember until just last week the ordeal we were put through as young children, (under 7 years old) when we stayed at our Grandparents home outside of Cooperstown, NY.

Outside of the kitchen there was this shed which had a room in it. The room always smelled weird, like the blanket chest upstairs. Outside of the shed was a small pond, which my grandmother always kept partially open during the winter.

Well, during the winter we would be thrown into this darned small room, which was blazing hot, made to sit in there with nothing on but a small towel, (including my grandmother thank goodness), and then after what seemed like 3-4 days we would be left out into the ice cold snowy yard. My grandmother would grab some branches and stick them in the pond and flick the freezing cold water on all of us kids, (4), and tell us to run around.

I honestly had forgotten about this until we had put in an offer on a house. While showing the pix to my older siblings over the holiday get togethers they started to laugh and say "remember when...???" Yup the memories came flooding back.

Turns out, the home we are buying was built by a Finnish Dr. in the mid 70's. Extremely well built, unique layout and to top it off a small outbuilding in the yard with a chimney.

What is the chimney for??

LvZGYSZ.jpg
[/IMG]

Wood fired and all....can't wait to close.

Now if I can talk my wife into running around in the snow......

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love the story and true stories always better. They will take your offer on the house if you tell the sellers that story.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Im not sure I like the looks of that bolt lock on the outside. :nightmare:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That's great! I like the temperature gauge above the door. It will let you know exactly what you're "getting into"! :eek:nthego:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Brings back good memories of my Uncle's sauna, my Dad and I used to go there on Saturdays in the winter. A pinewood room with firebox and hot rocks we would pour water over to make steam. We would run outside in the snow, then run back inside.

beecee

Reaction score
Im not sure I like the looks of that bolt lock on the outside. :nightmare:

whoa!!! Good point!

Funny thing, I was having a little Buyers remorse as I'm 61 w/a daughter leaving for college in 2 years and I'm thinkin'....what the heck am I doing.

Well, the Seller is 91, and bought it, (for him and his second wife), when he was 74!! Gotta keep moving.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great!

Unfortunately slight misspelling - it should be TERVETULOA SAUNAAN - now it is in genetive - but heck - who cares - it is a warm welcome anyway. :watermelon:

beecee

Reaction score
hXTNvKY.jpg
[/IMG]

Gotta get me some birch trees in the woods!

beecee

Reaction score
Great!

Unfortunately slight misspelling - it should be TERVETULOA SAUNAAN - now it is in genetive - but heck - who cares - it is a warm welcome anyway. :watermelon:

I thought so!!

We did our final walkthrough the other day but closing has been delayed by a few days...Title Company delay.

I cannot wait to get at this. Hasn't been used by the Seller since he bought it and frankly don't remember if the rocks were still on top. I'd really like to keep the original wood fired unit if it is still safe.

Odd..to me anyway...It has a shower head in the same room as the benches at a slightly lower level than the main floor. Unfortunately my pix from inside did not come out. They had been using it to store garden furniture.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
What do you think the little mailbox-like boxes are for? There's one next to the front door and one next to the fire box.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What do you think the little mailbox-like boxes are for? There's one next to the front door and one next to the fire box.
Could be and old matchbox holder like was nailed to the wall behind our old wood kithen stove (Home Comfort brand I believe).