Fender era Bluesbirds - How Many? Play along!

Smitch

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I know everyone is sick of this (GAD), and I suspect it’s been done already, but if we self report CL and CM serial numbers, we should get a ballpark number on overall production of the line, (BB, Blues 90, BB 90) by Westerly and Corona. We’ve probably have to assume that the numbering starts at 1 in order to be consistent. If we’re close, maybe Hans will verify it!

I’ll start:

I know (think) that there were at least 2078 Bluesbirds made in Westerly as my Blues 90 has SN CL002078.

I know that there were at least 694 Bluesbirds made in Corona as my Bluesbird has SN CM000694.

Does anyone have SN higher than mine?

I’ll keep a tally.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know (think) that there were at least 2078 Bluesbirds made in Westerly as my Blues 90 has SN CL002078.
I know that there were at least 694 Bluesbirds made in Corona as my Bluesbird has SN CM000694.
I know of CL002748 and CM000809.
Ralf

Smitch

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I know of CL002748 and CM000809.
Ralf

After reviewing the Bluesbird sticky self reporting, the CL 2748 and CM 809 seem to be the latest.

With that said, I guess we could assume +/- 3500 Fender area Bluesbirds and BB derivatives. Considering how many Les Pauls there are on the street, our ‘Birds are indeed rare.

The bigger issue with me is that you’ll never see theses guitars produced again. Sure Cordoba may fire up (or already have) a USA Bluesbird, but for me, the legacy, quality, history, and mojo of Guild/Fender Bluesbirds is over and can’t be replicated. I’ve gigged this guitar for 10 years and there’s nothing better live, clean or dirty.

I think I’ll buy another one!

Thanks for playing.

dougdnh

Reaction score
After reviewing the Bluesbird sticky self reporting, the CL 2748 and CM 809 seem to be the latest.

With that said, I guess we could assume +/- 3500 Fender area Bluesbirds and BB derivatives. Considering how many Les Pauls there are on the street, our ‘Birds are indeed rare.

The bigger issue with me is that you’ll never see theses guitars produced again. Sure Cordoba may fire up (or already have) a USA Bluesbird, but for me, the legacy, quality, history, and mojo of Guild/Fender Bluesbirds is over and can’t be replicated. I’ve gigged this guitar for 10 years and there’s nothing better live, clean or dirty.

I think I’ll buy another one!

Thanks for playing.

You got that right - my 2000 bird is the sweetest sounding, easiest playing guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of electrics!

Reaction score
I know everyone is sick of this (GAD), and I suspect it’s been done already, but if we self report CL and CM serial numbers, we should get a ballpark number on overall production of the line, (BB, Blues 90, BB 90) by Westerly and Corona. We’ve probably have to assume that the numbering starts at 1 in order to be consistent. If we’re close, maybe Hans will verify it!

I’ll start:

I’ll keep a tally.
Hey,
I'm new here. I have a Bluesbird with a metallic goldtop with the SN CM000587. I know it's a lower number than yours but I'm trying to date and location mine. I'm pretty sure it's a Corona made Bluesbird but not sure of the date. I'm thinking 2001 or 2002. And mine has no markings that it was a Custom Shop. Was it just made in the regular factory?

Attachments

• 20200413_164701.jpg
    20200413_164701.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 232

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
SN CM000587.
Welcome to LTG! S/N CM000587 was either made at the very end of 2002 or very early 2003, we need to wait for Hans Moust to answer the exact year. I have 504 as 2002 and 598 as early 2003 in my own list, so 587 could be either year. And yes, it was made at Guild in Corona, CA (same location as Fender factory). Normal factory operations, not custom shop.
Ralf

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! S/N CM000587 was either made at the very end of 2002 or very early 2003, we need to wait for Hans Moust to answer the exact year. I have 504 as 2002 and 598 as early 2003 in my own list, so 587 could be either year. And yes, it was made at Guild in Corona, CA (same location as Fender factory). Normal factory operations, not custom shop.
Ralf
Ralf
Thanks for the fast reply. I have a 2001 Guild price list effect January 2, 2001, they made 806 in black, 821 in natural, 853 gold metallic. I'd love to know the year to see how many were made. A friend of mine has a 2000's Bluesbird with P-90's and a bound neck. I think they're relatively rare. It's not the standard Blues 90. By the way, I got my as a showroom model for $850 w/ standard Guild case back in late 2003. Will Hans Reply to my message?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a 2001 Guild price list effect January 2, 2001, they made 806 in black, 821 in natural, 853 gold metallic.
2001 was still production in Westerly, RI. But the -806, -821 and -853 are the color codes, means the last 3 digits of the FMIC partnumber (xxx-xxxx-xxx), not the number of produced guitars!
And yes, Hans usually reads most of the messages here and most probably will reply.

By the way, your friend seems to have a Bluesbird P90, also made in Corona. The Blues 90 with unbound fingerboard were Westerly made.

Ralf

Last edited:
Reaction score
2001 was still production in Westerly, RI. But the -806, -821 and -853 are the color codes, means the last 3 digits of the FMIC partnumber (xxx-xxxx-xxx), not the number of produced guitars!
And yes, Hans usually reads most of the messages here and most probably will reply.

By the way, your friend seems to have a Bluesbird P90, also made in Corona. The Blues 90 with unbound fingerboard were Westerly made.

Ralf
Sorry about that. Do you know if the Bluesbird with P-90's and a bound neck were made in the Fender Custom Shop or not?

I also have a Guild Superstar amp with the 15" speaker which was made in the mid 60's. I got it completely stock for $250. The preamp tubes are Telefuken marked with "made in West Germany". It needs work but when it was operational it's the best clean amp I've ever played. As good or better than a Fender Blackface Twin. I believe they only made the Superstar for a couple of years. Their main amps were the Thunderstars.

Attachments

• 20200415_163100.jpg
    20200415_163100.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 206

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry about that. Do you know if the Bluesbird with P-90's and a bound neck were made in the Fender Custom Shop or not?

A Bluesbird with a bound neck and P90s is a Bluesbird-90.

Some were made in the custom shop. Mine, for example:

Guild-CustomShop-Bluesbird-90-TopFull.jpg

Custom shop Bluesbird-90s will say "Fender Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock. BTW We all but proved that this is the same guitar from the catalog: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php?threads/today-is-bluesbird-90-day.193096/

From a long overdue review of this guitar: There are three "levels" of Bluesbird from the Corona era that I am aware of: The regular Bluesbird, the Custom Shop Bluesbird (like this guitar), and the Custom Shop signed Bluesbird which includes the signature of the master luthier that made the guitar

Reaction score
A Bluesbird with a bound neck and P90s is a Bluesbird-90.

Some were made in the custom shop. Mine, for example:

Guild-CustomShop-Bluesbird-90-TopFull.jpg

Custom shop Bluesbird-90s will say "Fender Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock. BTW We all but proved that this is the same guitar from the catalog: https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php?threads/today-is-bluesbird-90-day.193096/

From a long overdue review of this guitar: There are three "levels" of Bluesbird from the Corona era that I am aware of: The regular Bluesbird, the Custom Shop Bluesbird (like this guitar), and the Custom Shop signed Bluesbird which includes the signature of the master luthier that made the guitar
That's beautiful. Mine is just the standard Fender Corona factory made. But it still sounds awesome. The only thing I'm thinking of is putting a Seymour Duncan p-94 in the neck position. The HS-1 is great but a little thick.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I replaced both of the pickups with Antiquites because the originals were stupidly hot.

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
I replaced both of the pickups with Antiquites because the originals were stupidly hot.
I have a non-custom shop Bluesbird P-90 very much like yours, GAD. I agree 100% about the original pickups being way too hot. Mine is still stock and is serial #CM000606. 2003, then? I love the guitar otherwise and it’s near mint. How do you like the Antiquities?

Here’s mine:
1913A31F-D9DD-4C10-8932-565712AA1319.jpeg

DThomasC

Reaction score
I've tried many different P90s. The ones that came on the Blues90s and Bluesbird-P90s are my least favorite of all. Even some no-name MIC P90s are better. The SD Antiquities are the very best. At least equal to some vintage Gibsons that I had the opportunity to borrow.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love antiquities. The Corona SFIII-90s I had came with Antiquities and I have no idea why they didn't also use them in the Bluesbird-90s.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Forgot to say: Clayton, that guitar is beautiful. The colors... I just decided to call it chocolate amber burst. You can use the name if you want.

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks! It’s a gorgeous guitar. I’m going to have to take some better photos. That was the first one I took when I opened the case after taking it out of its shipping box. I think Antiquities are going to be on my shopping list soon.

Reaction score
Sorry. I was wrong. It's a SD Phat Cat P90 I'd like to put in the neck position. Anybody have experience with the SD Phat Cat P90?
I was thinking of a humbucker with 4 conductor wires so I could split the coils but don't like the push-pull switching. Plus, my experience with other coil splitting humbuckers is when you split the coils there's such a drop in output which I don't like. If I go from split single coil to full humbucker it is kind of like a boast which is cool. Fender's new Ultra series now has a humbucker you can split and they say there is no drop in output.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry. I was wrong. It's a SD Phat Cat P90 I'd like to put in the neck position. Anybody have experience with the SD Phat Cat P90?
I was thinking of a humbucker with 4 conductor wires so I could split the coils but don't like the push-pull switching. Plus, my experience with other coil splitting humbuckers is when you split the coils there's such a drop in output which I don't like. If I go from split single coil to full humbucker it is kind of like a boast which is cool. Fender's new Ultra series now has a humbucker you can split and they say there is no drop in output.

From a physics standpoint, that's not possible assuming both coils are of equal wind and it's a traditional humbucker, so I'm interested to see what they're doing. EMG has a pickup that can be "split" like that but it's actually two pickups (a humbucker and a single coil) in one case.