NGD - Guild wins the shootout (D-40 Traditional)

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I walked into my favorite shop the other day (Music Villa in Bozeman, MT) with some cash to spend and a desire to let the best guitar win. They were working to move a few guitars at the end of the year, and a number of brands were deeply cut (Guild, Breedlove, Taylor, Martin). I tried just about everything in my price range (American and Oregon series Breedloves, a few 300 series Taylors, Martin 15, 16, 17 series, Guild F40 Traditional, D40 Traditional, etc. In fairness, the Traditional Series Guilds weren't really in my price range, but they too were cut (down to $1600/$1700). I spent a few hours and the shop was great (even changing the strings on the final two to help make sure that old strings weren't contributing to the sound). The D-40 Traditional won out hands down. It caught me at the beginning, and I kept trying the others just to make sure that brand loyalty wasn't placing a thumb on the scale. The sound is deep and full, but focused when I want it to be (if that makes any sense). Playability is great too. I owned a Westerly D-55 a few years back, but I tend to gravitate towards mahogany. It scratches my mahogany/spruce itch perfectly. I haven't been able to find a flaw, and I can't seem to put it down. I've run the gamut of Guilds over the years: initially GADs when I was just starting, then Westerly, NH, back to Tacoma, Oxnard, and now my newest Oxnard.

I'm terrible at pictures...which I know is a sin here. But, I guarantee the truss rod cover is pointing the right direction.

Guild wins again.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all,

I walked into my favorite shop the other day (Music Villa in Bozeman, MT) with some cash to spend and a desire to let the best guitar win. They were working to move a few guitars at the end of the year, and a number of brands were deeply cut (Guild, Breedlove, Taylor, Martin). I tried just about everything in my price range (American and Oregon series Breedloves, a few 300 series Taylors, Martin 15, 16, 17 series, Guild F40 Traditional, D40 Traditional, etc. In fairness, the Traditional Series Guilds weren't really in my price range, but they too were cut (down to $1600/$1700). I spent a few hours and the shop was great (even changing the strings on the final two to help make sure that old strings weren't contributing to the sound). The D-40 Traditional won out hands down. It caught me at the beginning, and I kept trying the others just to make sure that brand loyalty wasn't placing a thumb on the scale. The sound is deep and full, but focused when I want it to be (if that makes any sense). Playability is great too. I owned a Westerly D-55 a few years back, but I tend to gravitate towards mahogany. It scratches my mahogany/spruce itch perfectly. I haven't been able to find a flaw, and I can't seem to put it down. I've run the gamut of Guilds over the years: initially GADs when I was just starting, then Westerly, NH, back to Tacoma, Oxnard, and now my newest Oxnard.

I'm terrible at pictures...which I know is a sin here. But, I guarantee the truss rod cover is pointing the right direction.

Guild wins again.

I absolutely agree with you. The Oxnard D40 is a fabulous guitar. I have two of them and a few other D 40's as well. One of my favorite models. Congrats on a great choice!!!

beecee

Reaction score
Yup...something about them...when they're right, they are right!

Bernie

Reaction score
If you've had this one for $1700 or even a bit less, you really got an excellent price...Congratulations !

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I walked into my favorite shop the other day (Music Villa in Bozeman, MT)....

Major congrats, Okie! Music Villa treated me well back when I was in the market for a Gibson burst J15. Most J15s were naturals back then. I had my reservation in, but just when Gibson Bozeman produced the next one, TX mentioned there was a NH F50R up on reverb. I put in an offer for a little more than a new J15, which I was surprised was accepted! Forget the J15! I absolutely love my F50R!

Hoping to see some photos soon!
open24.gif

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played an Oxnard D40 Traditional recently at my local Sam Ash, and was impressed. Very light and resonant, and excellent build quality. If I didn’t already have the hog dread thing covered, I would have seriously considered buying one.

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
The price was a big plus. I was originally in the market for the standard series. I called to see if they had one in stock before I drove the distance to get there. They were willing to order one for me (but I decided to hold off). Then the guy from the shop called me the next day to tell me that they were about to drop the prices significant on the traditional models ($1675 and $1750 for bursts). That brought them into the neighborhood of the standard series. I was really impressed with how light they felt...while still being solidly built. I decided to share my experience b/c there's not a ton out there about them on the web. If anyone's looking, they still had the burst D-40 and F-40 natural. (They do not have the reduced prices listed on their website - last I looked they still have them around $2300)

Br1ck

Reaction score
I could have told you I'd have picked the D 40 over the rest you mentioned without even playing them. Now next to a D 18, it would be a very hard choice. But I can not think of an instance in my lifetime where I have ever regretted stretching my budget to get what I thought was a better guitar.