F 50 sighting

Br1ck

Reaction score
Griffon has a very clean F 50. Late 70s I think, heavier than an anchor and very bright as you might expect, but in great shape.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/1976-steel-string-acoustic-guild-guitar-f50-blond-57731

"This example is not only clean and attractive, with the most highly figured maple back we've seen on a blond F-50, it's also completely original but for two welcome exceptions: it was refretted no long ago at Gryphon, and it has an L R Baggs Anthem SL pickup system. (This pickup offers a small volume dial just inside the lip of the soundhole on the bass side...This has been played, and was refretted because the original frets were heavily worn. You can see some wear to the top around the soundhole's edge, below the high E string, and there are some nicks and dents to the finish on the face. The rest of the finish shows very little wear at all, but the fingerboard binding has cracked in 3 places, two on the bass side and one barely noticeable crack on the treble side near the 12th fret (this is from celluloid shrinkage, not damage). Original gold Schallers, original pickguard and bridge, and nice original hardshell case. Big jumbo Guild tone with lots of volume, and thanks to the recent refret it's very playable with easy string action."

577312.jpg

Ralf

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I need me one of those. I also need more money. :dispirited:

Do yourself a favor and find a New Hartford F50 Standard. Mine is by far the best F50 I’ve ever played, and you’ll save a bunch of cash, too.

Br1ck

Reaction score
One wonders as one plunges into doddering old age how one would misspell the name of a shop one has frequented for the last forty years.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One wonders as one plunges into doddering old age how one would misspell the name of a shop one has frequented for the last forty years.
Blame it on the spellchecker! I have been to Gryphon a few times as I admired Frank Ford working there. There are always nice instruments to find and mostly for me just see. From the outside the building is almost hard to find, pretty hidden in those sidestreets. At that time there was a Mercedes-Benz dealer just opposite, now gone.
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and find a New Hartford F50 Standard. Mine is by far the best F50 I’ve ever played, and you’ll save a bunch of cash, too.

Well, that old one sure is purty, and the maple neck differentiates it from the modern F-50, but I agree with Sandy. The NH F-50 (traditional and standard) are best of breed.

F312

Reaction score

Shhhhh... you're creating a line.

Ralph