John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
From 1982, here's an interview and intimate performance by John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia I stumbled across. McLaughlin is one of my favorite artists. The interplay between the two is amazing.

walrus

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome thanks! I hadn’t seen that one. I saw McLaughlin around 79/80 doing electric jazz and acoustic and he blew me away. So tasteful. First time I’d ever seen anyone in person of that caliber. Then in the early-mid 90’s I was lucky to see him again doing all acoustic with De Lucia and Dimeola. Truly amazing talents individually who seemed to play off of each other effortlessly, almost magically. Way, way beyond my meager level of comprehension.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I hadn’t seen that one. I saw McLaughlin around 79/80 doing electric jazz and acoustic and he blew me away. So tasteful. First time I’d ever seen anyone in person of that caliber. Then in the early-mid 90’s I was lucky to see him again doing all acoustic with De Lucia and Dimeola. Truly amazing talents individually who seemed to play off of each other effortlessly, almost magically. Way, way beyond my meager level of comprehension.
Larry Coryell was almost in that group, but substance abuse problems held him back.
May I recommend:
larry-coryell-spaces-5-ab.jpg

I've had the pleasure of seeing both him and McLaughlin, in fact, even saw McLaughlin jam with Jeff Beck in '76, between sets for their co-headlined show for the Jeff Beck Group and the Mahavishnu Orchestra..

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, you may recommend! That is a great album!

I'm envious of your concert experience...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, you may recommend! That is a great album!

I'm envious of your concert experience...

walrus
Seen McLaughlin twice, at both of the local shows on that '76 tour.
Seen Coryell once in '74, seen Beck 4 times, the other 2 were with Stevie Ray Vaughan where they jammed on "Superstition" and with Carlos Santana where he declined to jam at all, to my huge surprise.
Interestingly, with McLaughlin he was absolutely deferential, when Johnny'd hand him an opening he was subdued and quickly handed back off.
McLaughlin for his part was gracious and also refrained from unloading too heavily.
With Vaughan it was like a gladiatorial exhibition, both obviously having huge fun but the volume was downright painful, kind of lessened it for me.
With Santana I don't know what the problem was.
But in contrast to Santana's broader palette of styles he was simply a sledgehammer, a wrecking ball, when it came to dive bombs and other sonic mayhem.
That was '95 when he hadn't actually released anything for quite a while.
Last concert I ever went to.
Just getting out of the parking lot afterward ruined the whole thing.
I vowed "never again".

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Larry Coryell was almost in that group, but substance abuse problems held him back.
May I recommend....

Thanks, I will definitely look for that album/CD. Speaking of Chic... saw him a couple times, most notably at a Return To Forever reunion concert. Again, mind blowing musicians.