Oh my another Craig's list gem.......

CA-35

Reaction score
Saw this D40 on Craig's list this AM. He's asking $600.00. I will offer $500.00 and see what happen, even though 600 is a bargain. The bridge is disgusting it will have to be re-mounted. No cracks no dings it's a 1978. No case. He sent other close up pics and the guitar is in really good shape other than the abortion glue job on the bridge. If i buy it tomorrow i will of course have pics. Wish me well.

00n0n_5LpYSuGXE6h_1200x900.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, a bridge re-mount isn't a disaster or a permanent scar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Saw this D40 on Craig's list this AM. He's asking $600.00. I will offer $500.00 and see what happen, even though 600 is a bargain. The bridge is disgusting it will have to be re-mounted. No cracks no dings it's a 1978. No case. He sent other close up pics and the guitar is in really good shape other than the abortion glue job on the bridge. If i buy it tomorrow i will of course have pics. Wish me well.

00n0n_5LpYSuGXE6h_1200x900.jpg

Make sure it's not epoxied!
NOW I'll wish you well!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al he sent me a pic of the glue how can i tell if it is epoxy> i will try to post the pic I have to find a host first.
Oops sorry buddy didn't see this right away.
I don't know if there's a way to tell from a pic only, was assuming seller might have a clue.
Assume you understand that an epoxied bridge is unlikely to be "fixable" without removing an undesirable amount of topwood and replacing the bridge itself, whereas "Titebonds" ( woodworking glues and hide glue too) can at least be heat-released with minimal top damage, if done properly.
Pretty sure if it's grey glue it's not either of the 2 "good types", though.
Those'll be either clear or whitish-to-yellowish.
Not sure if any epoxies cure to the same colors.
Maybe somebody like Acornhouse knows.

Absolutely! Hope it all goes very well! BTW, what's with that 12-string? :tiger:

I can tell you it looks to be an F212C of similar vintage.
I just assumed it happened to be in the same pic the seller used for the D40.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Westerly could not have made too many of those. I never seen one before. Very interesting.
Guild's charts show 424 between '70 and '81, and not sure if they even made an F312 or F212Xl "C" but of course these days I'd kind of be surprised if they hadn't made at last one of each just because "that's how they were".
:glee:
To be fair I recognized it because Nuuska's got one and posted a pic (or video?) a while back.
:smile:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I'm more interested in that 12-string myself!

I was friends with a luthier who had to replace an Epoxy-ed bridge -- not the first he'd ever encountered in his 40+ years of guitar repair -- and the way he did it was to literally sand off the old bridge, rather than trying to remove it, which -- as noted above -- will inevitably take some of the top with it. (He said it was virtually impossible to salvage a bridge that had been glued down with Epoxy.)

He masked off the top around the bridge and went from rough sanding to fine sanding till the bridge area was perfectly level with the top, then seated a new bridge.

Good luck! And let me know about that 12-string!