What was so infamous about Manny's?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
But, these are not synonyms, right? Infamy is some sort of tainted fame, right, as in being famous for the "wrong" reasons? Just checking my own recollection of these words. Irregardless is just not a real word, right? And, in the vernacular, it is synoymous with regardless.

Yeah if you need to be that literal and not read my mind :)

I was thinking of the usage where someone thinks adding a prefix to a word makes it somehow more special or a better word. People I know who misuse infamous either think it means "more famous" or it refers to a special kind of fame that is not necessarily negative.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) Well, I did say "a" big component, Al, but ultimately sub- or super-sonic, "ripping the air" is an apt description. IMO, anyway. ;)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah if you need to be that literal and not read my mind :)

I was thinking of the usage where someone thinks adding a prefix to a word makes it somehow more special or a better word. People I know who misuse infamous either think it means "more famous" or it refers to a special kind of fame that is not necessarily negative.

How about inflammable. :)

English is a special language. ;)

jcwu

Reaction score
Back in the early '90s, I think I used a Manny's on 48th catalog to get a price match for a Les Paul Standard at a local music shop (Jim's Music which used to be located in Irvine, CA). I think that's about my only experience with Manny's.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Coming from someone who's been there that's a huge (even if sobering) compliment, thank you.
Wasn't even thinking of the combat implication at the time.

Smack you!
:glee:

I've never been in combat, thankfully.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
:) Well, I did say "a" big component, Al, but ultimately sub- or super-sonic, "ripping the air" is an apt description. IMO, anyway. ;)
Yah you did, and thanks, and in any case you made me go check on what I thought I knew (about whether all shots produce a sonic boom) which is never a bad thing.
:smile:
I've never been in combat, thankfully.
Appreciate the disclosure, and I feel the same way.
It really sounded as if it came from somebody who's heard the sound.
As I've mentioned before I only really started "getting" what combat vets experienced after reading several autobiographies, guys did mention being able to hear bullets going by but don't recall ever seeing someone use the term I used.
Seem to recall it was usually described as hissing or zinging.

Meanwhile Jimi Hendrix was experimenting with evoking sounds of battle himself with guitars he purchased at Manny's.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The Lovin' Spoonful's Zal Yanovsky, in his Forward to Hans' *Guild Guitar Book*, talks about buying his first Guild at Manny's in 1964.

On page 105 of the book is a shot of the beautful F-50 purchased by Buddy Holly at Manny's in 1957.

F312

Reaction score
Yah you did, and thanks, and in any case you made me go check on what I thought I knew (about whether all shots produce a sonic boom) which is never a bad thing.

Appreciate the disclosure, and I feel the same way.
It really sounded as if it came from somebody who's heard the sound.
As I've mentioned before I only really started "getting" what combat vets experienced after reading several autobiographies, guys did mention being able to hear bullets going by but don't recall ever seeing someone use the term I used.
Seem to recall it was usually described as hissing or zinging.

Meanwhile Jimi Hendrix was experimenting with evoking sounds of battle himself with guitars he purchased at Manny's.

You can join the Army and after the seventh week, they shoot live rounds a foot or so over your head to get you in the loop of combat mode. Easy on the stomach this way too.

Ralph

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I got my Rickie 360, a '64 reissue, at Manny's during a business trip in autumn 1995. Didn't experience any unpleasantness from the staff. In fact they were fine with me pulling four or five different 360s off the display wall and trying 'em all out (acoustically). They took care of shipping the guitar to my office building too.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You can join the Army and after the seventh week, they shoot live rounds a foot or so over your head to get you in the loop of combat mode. Easy on the stomach this way too.

Ralph
Hendrix was actually in 101st Airborne:
101st-Airborne-Jimi-Hendrix.jpg

https://woodstockwhisperer.info/2018/07/02/101st-airborne-jimi-hendrix-discharged/
It's been said that maybe some of his "sounds" were inspired by things he heard jumping out of planes, but personally I think the gap between that time and "I Don't Live Today" disproves that idea.
Also the improv section of "I Don't Live Today" is supposed to evoke the sounds of a cavalry battle including trumpets and wounded horses' cries.
"Machine Gun" was unquestionably Viet Nam inspired, though.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Inspiration not based on personal experience. He never got shipped to 'Nam.

Well OK call me guilty of poor wording, never meant to imply he was.
It was supposed to be a reference back to this comment in post #28:
" Meanwhile Jimi Hendrix was experimenting with evoking sounds of battle himself with guitars he purchased at Manny's. "
Kind of self-evident since he was already out of the service in '64, as a read of the link detailing his Army career would show.
Or maybe I'm missing your point?
Sincere question, I do seem to be a little "off", lately.

F312

Reaction score
Well OK call me guilty of poor wording, never meant to imply he was.
It was supposed to be a reference back to this comment in post #28:
" Meanwhile Jimi Hendrix was experimenting with evoking sounds of battle himself with guitars he purchased at Manny's. "
Kind of self-evident since he was already out of the service in '64, as a read of the link detailing his Army career would show.
Or maybe I'm missing your point?
Sincere question, I do seem to be a little "off", lately.

Yeah, two days a week. :friendly_wink:

Ralph

JF-30

Reaction score
Clapton probably walked in once. Its gone now, so you do the math.

dougdnh

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Silver and Horland - wow that brings back a lot of memories. Back in the '60's they were by far the cheapest place to get stuff in NYC. I remember being all psyched up heading over there to get my dream amp, a Fender Tremolux. Unfortunately, they were sold out! I had a gig in a few hours and i really needed an amp, so they talked me into a Premier 12" combo amp. I quickly grew to hate that amp.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
But, these are not synonyms, right? Infamy is some sort of tainted fame, right, as in being famous for the "wrong" reasons? Just checking my own recollection of these words. Irregardless is just not a real word, right? And, in the vernacular, it is synoymous with regardless.
It's not just tainted, it's horrendous. Pearl Harbor. Charlie Manson. Fonzi jumping the shark. John Meyer joining the Dead.