1978 G312 NT

Reaction score
Hi friends! I’m new to the forum. I recently received a beautiful 1978 G312 NT 12-string. It’s the first Guild I’ve ever had (usually play Taylors - sorry!), and I’m very impressed with it. The tone and craftsmanship are fantastic. However, I’m really not a 12-string player, so I’ll likely either sell it or trade it for a 6-string. With that in mind, I’d really appreciate some input on estimating the value. After looking online, the ones I’ve seen sold on eBay etc. seem to go for around $1,000-1,200. Mine is in near-mint condition and includes the hard shell case, so may be worth a little bit more, but does that seem like a reasonable estimate for this excellent instrument? Appreciate any feedback!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! If it is really "mint" I would say you can ask for a bit more! Probably in the $1,600-1,800 range. Depends how fast you need to move her and where you are located. (regarding tax, shipment,...)
A few famous guys liked their G-312, like that certain Neil Young in 1976...

nyguild212.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Please remember that any guitar from 1978, however pretty, is likely to have undergone various structural changes over the years.
Whether or not they have been addressed will affect the price you can expect.
Any prospective buyer will ask questions.
If you're not familiar with older acoustic guitars, suggest you take the guitar to a trusted luthier/tech to have it evaluated and any needed work estimates given so you can best answer.
Welcome to LTG and best of luck.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I’m not really in any hurry to sell, so I‘ll probably do a bit more research and keep an eye on the market. That’s a fantastic picture, by the way. Didn’t realize Neil Young had played this model. I can see why though, it does have a great sound. Very cool!

Reaction score
Excellent point. I do have a few higher-end acoustics, but they are less than 15 yrs old. I know what to look for in general with body condition, fretboard wear, setup, etc. but I’m sure there are potential issues internally/structurally that I may not recognize, especially with vintage gear. Thanks for the heads up!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i own a 1980 G-312. super underrated guitar. it has a pink Guild label, and I was aware of the Neil Young instrument...hence I named mine "Pocahontas."

76-79 was the peak for Guild. always good to have a vintage guitar checked out by a professional, but if u say it looks to be in "mint" condition at first glance, hopefully it is in pretty nice shape and just needs a set up. really depends on a lot of long term factors, one of which is luck.

also, those don't come around every day. make sure u are not a 12-string player, before u sell such a pretty one.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
I could name a number of forum members who have '78 G-312s. It must have been a very good year. On mine if the saddle has to come down any more it will need a neckset but it has remained stable for the 30 years or so I've had it.

' Strang

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
i own a 1980 G-312. super underrated guitar...make sure u are not a 12-string player, before u sell such a pretty one.

That's very good advice! A '78 G-312 ought to be enough to make anyone want to be a 12 string player.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent point. I do have a few higher-end acoustics, but they are less than 15 yrs old. I know what to look for in general with body condition, fretboard wear, setup, etc. but I’m sure there are potential issues internally/structurally that I may not recognize, especially with vintage gear. Thanks for the heads up!

Frets.com is an excellent source for this. Go to the index, scroll down to acoustic guitars, and start with the section on checking neck angle, action and saddle. Its very easy. Then browse around for other areas if interest.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pics would be nice.

Mint is in the eye of the beholder.

I've bought cars with perfect bodywork only to see flaws that were already there reveal themselves as if they were new dings but were there all along.

Mint would be the absence of any ding or scratch anywhere on the guitar, almost an unrealistic expectation.

I like my guitars pre worn, a little dinged and scratched, swirls in the polish, wear under the arm area... It's like a piece of antique furniture, it's got a story to tell.

Cheaper guitars tend to be more beat and have more character, a 312 being quite an expensive guitar, it makes sense it was treated very carefully, and sometimes some of these guitars stayed virtually unplayed through the decades. Being in the original case the whole time a factor also.

F312

Reaction score
I foolishly let go of my 60s F312, my 77 G312 is going nowhere.

Ralph

Reaction score
Pics would be nice.

Mint is in the eye of the beholder.

Sure, happy to share a few pics! It’s a beautiful instrument and very well taken care of. I received it from the original owner, it even has the owners manual & receipt. Apparently he paid $615 for it back in 1978 - what a deal! :)

8YezJ8a.jpg

kMQQptM.jpg

hvkFW42.jpg

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you're looking for a quick profit I will gladly take it for $616.86 !!! But seriously, a beautiful looking guitar you have there. The tall saddle is a plus if the action is in range. Can you measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the low E. Should be about 3/32 ideally.

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
Your signature is "F312" and you sold the only one you ever had?! You must really miss it!

Yes, it is missed, however, my 77 G312 has filled in nicely and has grown on me over the years to be just as nice as the F312.

Ralph