Photo Upload is Coming

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am going to turn on photo uploading. <insert applause here>
In order to test this and make sure it works well, I'm going to enable it for the mods first so that they can get a feel for how it works so that they can better support the community when I turn it on globally.

Some things to note about this feature given the current software:

It will only work on desktop and it will not work on phones. I can't do anything about that unless I do a massive site change and we've been through enough for a while. I don't *think* it will work on iPads, either. Surface tablets run Windows, so I think they should work fine.

It will be limited: Each image will have a size restriction, and each user will have a space restriction. What those limits will be are to be determined.

This will be for LTG content only. Any photos that are not deemed appropriate will be deleted and the user will get a warning or banned for a period of time depending on how severe the infraction is. I don't imagine this to be an issue outside of spammers, but it's worth noting.

One of the big reasons this was disabled in the past was disk space consumption. The new server has significantly more space, and since the #1 complaint I've seen from people on other sites that won't come here is the lack of photo upload, I figured I'd move us forward a bit.

That's all for now.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of the big reasons this was disabled in the past was disk space consumption. The new server has significantly more space, and since the #1 complaint I've seen from people on other sites that won't come here is the lack of photo upload, I figured I'd move us forward a bit.

That's all for now.

Just to make sure I'm clear, this will be independent of the current image linking function in the dialog box?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to make sure I'm clear, this will be independent of the current image linking function in the dialog box?

It will show a more feature-rich dialog that will let you put images from your computer onto the LTG server instead of having to link them from something like Imgur or Photobucket.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's an example of an uploaded image. I can and will likely tweak how this behaves, FWIW.

5D3_0293_1600.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: iPads
Since I access it on Safari on my iPad, would that not be the same as a desktop?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
0D471368-C9D2-4D88-9DF9-1B64A78861B1.jpg

from my iphone. Looks like I was wrong! It only works in the desktop style though.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's good news! I hate the amp sticky being held hostage by photo hosting services.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well you should have held your phone upright then.

This is actually a huge peeve of mine. The phone likes to be held horizontally so that the volume buttons can be used at the shutter button, but that wasn't a thing when the iphone first came out and I learned to hold it the opposite way so that my right hand could use the big button. Given all the sensors in the phone and the EXIF info in the image, it should just work. But it doesn't, because Apple. If I pull the image into Photoshop and just save it, it gets fixed.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering the camera module broke in my S10e and borked everything that might possibly need a camera, upsidedown would be an upgrade for me!