Favorite Smiley

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The rampant use of emoticons in place of communication with, you know, WORDS is the root cause of the decline of civilization around the world.

LOL, or at least the sign of the beginning of the end...:)

:peaceful:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I go through the full list of them, I see plenty that no one ever, or hardly ever, uses. If one could just get rid of those, then the ones you do use would be much easier to find.

For instance, has anyone ever used this: :bi_polo: or this: :apthy: or this: :adjoint:? Just to name a few?

Yeah, I agree that a lot of them are lame. I can remove them, but doing so would make any posts that used them look like they have a bunch of broken links. Of course I could make all the lame ones look like [smiley redacted]. :encouragement:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I vote to leave them all. So what if (perhaps) no one used them? How do we know, BTW, if they've been used or not? I would not want to be the one to go through the posts looking for them. And I don't think anyone should decide which ones are "better" and which ones are "lame". They are there to choose from by everyone.

I've used a lot of them - IMHO, the more options, the better.

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I vote to leave them all. So what if (perhaps) no one used them? How do we know, BTW, if they've been used or not? I would not want to be the one to go through the posts looking for them. And I don't think anyone should decide which ones are "better" and which ones are "lame". They are there to choose from by everyone.

walrus

I could write a script to poll the database and report on Smiley usage, but I don't really see me deleting the smileys in place.

What I do see happening is me adding a new set of smileys, though.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any chance of bringing back the old smileys from the BB days? I never particularly cared of any of the "new style" ones.

Just an update that I looked into this and didn't get far. It may still happen, but there appears to be no sign of them on the server and I haven't found any online that I could grab.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I vote to leave them all. So what if (perhaps) no one used them? How do we know, BTW, if they've been used or not? I would not want to be the one to go through the posts looking for them.
Having just finished re-reading "the Song Title Game" I'm looking for something new, I'll do it.
But don't expect a report..
walrus
I agree.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just an update that I looked into this and didn't get far. It may still happen, but there appears to be no sign of them on the server and I haven't found any online that I could grab.
Oh yes, forgot to thank you for fixing the "only secure content" bug!
And I think some of us use some of the smileys "creatively".
Like, WTH are the "mushroom" :mushroom: and the "kiwifruit" and "Saturn" ( :saturn: ) supposed to mean, really?
And yet they're evocative just in their images.
On reflection though, a lot of 'em are dups of extremely similar ones, and some of 'em don't really visually convey their "names", example: "Congratulatory": :congratulatory:
Almost identical to "welcoming" :welcoming: , and neither convey their names as well as some others.
BOTH of 'em might as well be used like "glee" :glee:
"Encouragement" :encouragement: works better for "congratulatory" and "Cheerful" :cheerful: works better for "welcoming", in my opinion.
I realize this is your point, and why you ask; just giving examples for members who may never have dived deep into the smiley pool.
So now I kind of agree, 193 of 'em is an embarrassment of riches.
(Speaking of which, the one I really miss the most from the old days was the ol' pulsing pink face.
Could've used that many times over the years.)
"Redface" :redface: just don't do it.
That one should be "Just came in from the blizzard"
But I bet nobody'd mind if we got rid of "acne" :acne:, for example.
("Glee")
BTW just realized I have 9 images in this post (thought the limit was 8), did you modify that count limit for images in a single post as well?

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Al, obviously, as far as there being so many to choose from. Now that my "favorites" show up in my short list, I have far less problems finding the ones I want. One thing I noticed was that although the smileys would rotate through and show up in a different order, their relationship to one another was always the same. When I was looking for :encouragement: I could scroll right past it and it didn't stand out to me at all. However, for some reason :saturn: is always within two blocks of :encouragement: and is far easier for me to spot at a glance in the lineup. I know, I'm babbling, but as long as i can find my faves, which Gary fixed, I'm good. There's far too many there in the list for easy navigation to choose something, but oh well, right?

And again, as Al said, quite a few of those look nothing like what they're supposed to convey and many are so similar that it's impossible to tell them apart. But, whatever y'all figure out, that's what I'll deal with. Today is really depressing to me, and I wish I could figure out why I'm in such a bad mood. There's a lot going on and of all that smileys are the least of my problems.

:watermelon:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh yes, forgot to thank you for fixing the "only secure content" bug!

BTW just realized I have 9 images in this post (thought the limit was 8), did you modify that count limit for images in a single post as well?

You're welcome!

And yes, I changed the limit of images in a post. It was set to 7 which is the default. It's currently set to something insane like 60 so that the mods (and to a lesser extent, I) can fix some of the long sticky threads that have been broken since a) the move to vbulletin and b) the downright piracy-type behavior of Photobucket.

I will lilely lower it again to something reasonable like 10 or 15 or something at the exact moment that I feel like it. :devilish:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Al, obviously, as far as there being so many to choose from. Now that my "favorites" show up in my short list, I have far less problems finding the ones I want. One thing I noticed was that although the smileys would rotate through and show up in a different order, their relationship to one another was always the same. When I was looking for :encouragement: I could scroll right past it and it didn't stand out to me at all. However, for some reason :saturn: is always within two blocks of :encouragement: and is far easier for me to spot at a glance in the lineup. I know, I'm babbling, but as long as i can find my faves, which Gary fixed, I'm good. There's far too many there in the list for easy navigation to choose something, but oh well, right?

And again, as Al said, quite a few of those look nothing like what they're supposed to convey and many are so similar that it's impossible to tell them apart. But, whatever y'all figure out, that's what I'll deal with. Today is really depressing to me, and I wish I could figure out why I'm in such a bad mood. There's a lot going on and of all that smileys are the least of my problems.

So, the way the smileys work is that they're put into categories. I put the ones listed in this thread in a new category and that category is shown first. The default category is then shown second.

I can sort them into more categories, but I wanted to straighten that out first. BTW if I missed anyone's favorite feel free to remind me and I'll move it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You're welcome!

And yes, I changed the limit of images in a post. It was set to 7 which is the default. It's currently set to something insane like 60 so that the mods (and to a lesser extent, I) can fix some of the long sticky threads that have been broken since a) the move to vbulletin and b) the downright piracy-type behavior of Photobucket.

I will lilely lower it again to something reasonable like 10 or 15 or something at the exact moment that I feel like it. :devilish:

As a notorious multi-image poster myself, 15 would probably have easily covered any of the posts in which I found myself just a couple of slots shy over the years.
Only really happens once in a while as it is.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Tom, hope you are feeling better!

Maybe more meds? More alcohol? Play guitar?

Sometimes you just need a good night's sleep and to start a new day... :tranquillity: (tranquility)

walrus