Favorite Smiley

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Show me your favorite smileys. I'm going to organize them so the favorites always show up first.

I will also be adding some in the near future. If you're all good. :kiwi-fruit:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
<begin rant>

The rampant use of emoticons in place of communication with, you know, WORDS is the root cause of the decline of civilization around the world.

I will make exceptions for old ASCII-character set emoticons since they require WORK to create.

[FONT=&quot]ಠ_ಠ

[/FONT]
<end rant>[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I gotta agree with gjmalcyon. I can do without emojis completely.

geoguy

Reaction score
I would like a "raised beer glass" emoji. :devilish:

Please, and thank you.

And if it isn't too much trouble, the ability to give a "+1" to posts that seem particularly helpful or otherwise worthwhile. :applouse:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like a "raised beer glass" emoji. :devilish:

Please, and thank you.

And if it isn't too much trouble, the ability to give a "+1" to posts that seem particularly helpful or otherwise worthwhile. :applouse:

A "like" button is possible but a way's off.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
T9YDWTjMfbshgrMR6

- - - Updated - - -

https://images.app.goo.gl/T9YDWTjMfbshgrMR6

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since we're complaining about words...

This is an emoticon: :)

This is a smiley: :tears_of_joy:

This is an emoji:
50px-Twemoji_1f602.svg.png

Does it matter? Probably not, but if we're going to gripe about using words let's use them correctly.
face-with-stuck-out-tongue.png

OK, I'm done.
40px-Emoji_u263a.svg.png

Seriously, though, smileys (which I will heretofore use as an all-encompassing word in violation of my own nonsense above) are just fun. People tend to like fun, so let's have some fun.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is the best news EVER!! I frequently use certain ones and the fact that I use them should show them to me as a list of frequently used whatever you wanna call thems. Kinda like my phone does. My most used is :encouragement:, followed by :devilish::grief::eek:nthego::jaded::surprise::saturn::very_drunk:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seriously, though, smileys (which I will heretofore use as an all-encompassing word in violation of my own nonsense above) are just fun. People tend to like fun, so let's have some fun.

Actually as forum owner Don thoughtfully pointed out in one of his introductory messages for new users, they're very useful for trying to convey actual intent in this medium where the absence of facial expression and voice inflection create risk of misinterpreted meaning.
How often in past have we seen members flare up at each other over a "deadpan delivery" of humorous intent?
Myself, if I realize I may be sounding overbearing or supercilious especially where a new member's concerned, I'll try to temper the message with the appropriate smiley if not actually spell out my humble intent.
Of course GUILDerators and moderators are all treated with equal contempt.
And when did you get your stripes, anyhow?
:tongue-new:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
If there are going to be tiny images that substitute for words or phrases, how about a page in the FAQ that shows the image and then the word it means/stands in for. I don't know what a lot of them mean - it is not the twirly part of a chocolate ice cream cone and the suggestion that it could be eaten does not go over well - and some of them are hard to see the detail than makes a smirk different from a smile.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If there are going to be tiny images that substitute for words or phrases, how about a page in the FAQ that shows the image and then the word it means/stands in for
There's an option in the posting window to select smileys ('go advanced" button) and an option for "more", and they all have their names next to their images in that display.
As well, when selecting "reply with quote", the smiley's name appears in its original format, not the image.
At least on my desktop running Windows and IE.
However your next point is extremely valid in a world of constantly shrinking display sizes:
...and some of them are hard to see the detail than makes a smirk different from a smile.
"Word" ("Truth")
(insert mis-spelled "tranquility" emoticon here)
(biggrin_new)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, Tom's got a good set. I gotta add :tiger: though. :tiger:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I always thought Al might have superhuman powers...... all this time it's been his SUPER-cilliousness!!! It doesn't really bother me but it's that he's so damn smug about it, you know?? :playful: