JF- 26 ?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, common usage of the word "diddley" dates back to a recording made at Chess Studios in Chicago in 1955...

(w/ Little Walter on the harp!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Let’s clarify the “Pepsi” story because I’ve seen it misinterpreted too many times as a daily/weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly occurrence; it wasn’t. Only for the factory Xmas party was this nectar of the Calabrese gods passed around. One day. No more, no less.

The inveterate myth-buster in me loves this kind of stuff!
To be fair to Frono, I myself also remember seeing the term "Pepsi Fridays" being used early on in my tenure here, but don't recall for sure which particular production flaw was blamed on what was perceived as being a relatively common pastime.
In fact I distinctly recall somebody replying to a post questioning the meaning of the term by describing the fact that it referred to red wine being substituted into 2-litre bottles of soda to disguise its consumption, which definitely furthered the impression that it was a common occurrence.
These days, though, a "deep dig" may be in order as it's also possible my memory of the descriptive post may be erroneous.
And it's also good to know that in fact it wasn't all that common as it seems to confirm that not only potential QC but also safety issues weren't simply ignored by the employees.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Boy, the last time I heard "squat" was in college back in the 60's. I wonder what the origin of that word is? Anybody? Al?
Ithink that a lot of these expressions come under the heading of "minced oaths". By tradition, in polite company, a person mis-pronounces a four letter word or a reference to a deity on purpose. Examples... Gosh Darn, Oh Fudge, For Crying Out Loud and Heck. That way the person doing the swearing avoids running afoul of proper etiquette or incurring the wrath of the church. :devilish:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath
"Related", but in this case I was always sure it was simply derived from the position most commonly assumed, prior to the invention of the commode, in the production of said material requiring euphemistic labeling in polite company.
In fact medical Latin was invented precisely for these awkward situations.
Maybe origin even goes all the way back our primitive forbears observing squatting sasquatches.
"Does a sasquatch squat in the woods?"
"How many squats would a sasquatch squat if sasquatches squatted in the woods?"
:glee:

Last edited: