JF- 26 ?

3fingers&anub

Reaction score
Thanks for the information!!! Like I posted the 1st time “LTG has a wealth of knowledge “ so if I understand correctly the jf26 is one to be strummed ? Due to the arched back? Not so much for fingerpicking,

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!!! Like I posted the 1st time “LTG has a wealth of knowledge “ so if I understand correctly the jf26 is one to be strummed ? Due to the arched back? Not so much for fingerpicking,
If one had to boil it down to a nutshell, that's pretty fair, but technique counts more than construction in the end.
More that the arched back simply makes for very lush sounding chords.
My D25 (arched back) was a revelation to me when new, and I do play a ton of scales on it, and have some finger-picking tunes too, but yes it sounds more like a classical or flamenco guitar then, like I said: "woody".
Softer-edged.
The D40 is "crystalline" in that mode, by comparison.
Depends on what your ear likes.
D25's great for drone chords for example, and I've written some "raga rock" flavored pieces on it.
The D40'd be better suited for crisp chords like the "Do-doot-doot-doot" section of "Love the One You're With" or "Judy Blue Eyes": absolutely sharp sonic edges, if you get my drift.
And it took me a few years to be able to hear and understand the difference.
When the D40 was new I always just knew the D25 was louder, which surprised me given the Richie Havens connection.
Which reminds me:
That's a D40 opening Woodstock and his back-up's playing an F47 (hog flatback), too!
:friendly_wink:

3fingers&anub

Reaction score
Hindsight is 2020! Most people would research before purchase but I Saw the JF 26 it just grab me the jumbo body I like it ,beautiful!but knowing now , hasty is a good word to use only because I’m trying to put down the pick and work on fingerpicking but as you stated Technique has a lot to do with it so hopefully it will produce the sound that suits my ear, which reminds me I was in the local shop last week and they had a 1930’s parlor all mahogany and could not believe the sound that little guitar produced this is due to type and age of wood? Any others besides D-40 that are good for fingerpicking ? Mistakes are okay to make but not twice

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is 2020! Most people would research before purchase but I Saw the JF 26 it just grab me the jumbo body I like it ,beautiful!but knowing now , hasty is a good word to use only because I’m trying to put down the pick and work on fingerpicking but as you stated Technique has a lot to do with it so hopefully it will produce the sound that suits my ear, which reminds me I was in the local shop last week and they had a 1930’s parlor all mahogany and could not believe the sound that little guitar produced this is due to type and age of wood?
Those are the usual culprits but top bracing also plays a very large role in how the soundboard behaves.
Not just the shape and mass of the braces as in "shaved" or "scalloped" but even the layout pattern of 'em.
Some of those pre-war parlor guitars had what's called "ladder bracing", reputed to impart a special voice.
If it was a spruce top it may have been Adirondack, as well. Much more readily available before WWII when it became overharvested.
Took 50 years to recover.
others besides D-40 that are good for fingerpicking [/B]? Mistakes are okay to make but not twice

Well, Mississippi John Hurt favored F30's and Paul Simon asked 'em to make a rosewood bodied F30 Special back in the '60's, it was still being made as the F30R up through New Hartford, but Oxnard hasn't made one yet.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the JF-26, though, as long as you're ok with full-size jumbo bodies.
:friendly_wink:

3fingers&anub

Reaction score
Always wanted a true jumbo. Have played maybe a handful , didn’t mind the size and all seemed to produce a different sound? But can’t recall ever playing a jumbo guild! I have a mini jumbo Takamine eg 544sc-4 that’s produces a nice sound to the ear in both playing styles,I think it’s a 16”, but don’t care for the narrow nut, Also have a guild OM 140 CE that has a wider nut and sounds great in both playing styles even sounds better than the Takamine which leads me to another question will the guild 140 open up overtime as your D 40 understanding they are two entirely different animals And I’m pretty sure the guild 140 is not considered a jumbo

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
which leads me to another question will the guild 140 open up overtime as your D 40 understanding they are two entirely different animals
I don't really know.
Tome single biggest issue would be the poly finish on the MIC's vs true NCL on 99%+ of all US-built Guilds prior to Oxnard.
I do believe in the opening up process but I think NCL's property of constantly outgassing ands thus becoming lighter and allowing the soundboard to resonate more freely as time passes is a major element of it.
Also believe hideglue contributes because it's crystallized when hardened, wouldn't muffle vibration transmission thought the neck joint or between top and sides edges.
For sure any of the MIC built instruments don't have those 2 factors in their favor, even though wood quality is fine, I'm sure.
When Guild was owned by Fender, Fender actually bought and graded the wood themselves before delivering it to the Grand Rewards factory, to ensure their materials quality standards were maintained. (Don't know if Cordoba does the same but suspect they do, as it would also streamline CITES compliance process when shipping the product back out.)
IN the end I think the only way to know if a poly-finished guitar can actually open up is to do some periodic testing of the instrument over time.
Since poly is in a permanent state once it's catalyzed, I think it'll always restrict the soundboard to the same level of resonance it had since day one. But it's just a hypothesis on my part.
Maybe the wood itself changes enough make a perceptible difference over time regardless of the finish?
And I’m pretty sure the guild 140 is not considered a jumbo
Right, at 15-1/4 lower bout width it's just considered an "F" body under Guild's old model number system.
It's actually the F30 outline, which Oxnard isn't actually making yet in any case.
16" lower bout F-bodies are "mini-jumbo" or "Grand Auditorium" bodies, represented by the F40 originally *, but not even offered by Guild now, to my frequently-voiced irritation.
*(Note the current F40 is actually based on the old F48 which was a true 17" lower bout jumbo body originally represented by the F50)
Some folks find the full jumbos a bit too large for comfort.
Have never actually played any of the true Guild jumbos, but in the last few years I realized I like my F65ce's GA body the best for playing comfort, and came to realize it was actually one of Guild's most prolific outlines in terms of number of models based on it, second only to dreadnoughts.
But it also had more variations in terms of body/topwood combinations, cutaway models, and neck scale lengths than any other body type in the line.
Thus my frustration with Oxnard for calling an F48 an F40.
It does a disservice to a proud heritage that the couple of Taylors I've played don't fill.

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
To me single biggest issue would be the poly finish on the MIC's vs true NCL on 99%+ of all US-built Guilds prior to Oxnard.

From the Savart Journal. Not an NCL vs. poly comparison, but interesting nonetheless.

"Abstract -This paper presents a study of the effect of a sealer and four finishes on the vibration properties of spruce for guitar soundboards. Two of the finishes, de-waxed shellac and nitrocellulose instrument lacquer, are evaporative finishes, traditionally used for guitars. The third and fourth are reactive shellac-based finishes.
Statistical analyses showed that all of the top coat finishes cured for seven weeks were equivalent with respect to their effect on the vibrational properties of the spruce bars."

Full text here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From the Savart Journal. Not an NCL vs. poly comparison, but interesting nonetheless.
That's the whole point, though.

Statistical analyses showed that all of the top coat finishes cured for seven weeks were equivalent with respect to their effect on the vibrational properties of the spruce bars."
And don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the findings, but that's also nothing compared to the years it takes for nitro to out-gas enough to start shrinking into the grain.
Poly will never do it. It's done when it's catalyzed, that's my primary point.
You're right though, interesting stuff. (Admittedly I only skimmed after first couple of paragraphs)
The article does provide what looks like viable methodology to apply to a given guitar top to measure any change over time, though, and even takes into account variables like finish thickness.
Many years ago there was thread with a lot of discussion about just how to go about testing the "opening up" hypothesis with regards to NCL and poly finishes specifically.
I also think that if "opening up" can be proven on a single instrument, it's been proven as a "real" phenomenon, since there's still a school that still doesn't believe in it.
So if an improvement in sound can be proven on a poly-finished guitar that'd be good enough for me, and why I'm still open to the possibility even though I have my doubts.
There's still that possibility that the aging of the wood itself is a bigger factor than the finish.

3fingers&anub

Reaction score
I would like to take time to Thank all who responded to my questions! With the Information and knowledge you folks have I can see This is going to be quite the learning experience, which I’m looking forward to the education, This site is very cool!
After receiving my jf26 ,and having the chance to play and compare it to the other guitars I have,, l I fully understand the terms like “woody and soft edged , lush sounding chords “ which at this stage off my playing journey happens fit my playing style , guitar sounds amazing and is in beautiful condition !
Thanks again!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After receiving my jf26 ,and having the chance to play and compare it to the other guitars I have,, l I fully understand the terms like “woody and soft edged , lush sounding chords “ which at this stage off my playing journey happens fit my playing style , guitar sounds amazing and is in beautiful condition !

Well done, 3fingers! There is nothing like a Guild jumbo! :tiger:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would like to take time to Thank all who responded to my questions! With the Information and knowledge you folks have I can see This is going to be quite the learning experience, which I’m looking forward to the education, This site is very cool!
Thanks again!

"Friendly Wink"
My signature tag line used to be "You never forget your first Guild"
Stick around for the party.
:smile:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Normally (who's normal?), my threads don't get much attention, but this one has me smiling -- not that you guys and gals focused much on the original gambit...oh well. :very_drunk:

3fingers&anub

Reaction score
Hey Rich! If it wasn’t for you and the other folks here at “LTG” I would still be lost in the www on guild data , trying to find information on this specific guitar scratching my head ,frustrated with the endless searching and the old result of no serial numbers on any site I searched ,out of the all the sites this guitar did not exist until I found “LTG”!!! Again thanks all, this site is very cool with a “wealth of knowledge “

hideglue

Reaction score
"Pepsi Fridays" but I don't think you can blame on the production line. The "special edition exclusively for GC" explains this and a marketing weasel probably came up with the ID. "One better than the otherwise almost identical 25".

Let’s clarify the “Pepsi” story because I’ve seen it misinterpreted too many times as a daily/weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly occurrence; it wasn’t. Only for the factory Xmas party was this nectar of the Calabrese gods passed around. One day. No more, no less.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let’s clarify the “Pepsi” story because I’ve seen it misinterpreted too many times as a daily/weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly occurrence; it wasn’t. Only for the factory Xmas party was this nectar of the Calabrese gods passed around. One day. No more, no less.

I will stand corrected and if I tell the story again it will be because I can't remember squat. Thanks.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Boy, the last time I heard "squat" was in college back in the 60's. I wonder what the origin of that word is? Anybody? Al?

It crept into my vocabulary in the mid to late 70's. Two friends had been at a football game and and when the opposing team again failed to score, the drunker friend stood up and shouted "they can't do doodly-squat". I was not present but the story was retold far more than I needed to hear it.

The origins seem obscure. "diddly-squat" and "diddly-<not going to write it but it also starts with s and ends with t>" may be predecessors. diddly may go back to the 1900's but one source suggest the hyphenated word only goes back to the 1960's.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods when someone is Ignorant about something but overly expound on subject and reveal their ignorance - we say, "they don't know Jack Squat."

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I think that a lot of these expressions come under the heading of "minced oaths". By tradition, in polite company, a person mis-pronounces a four letter word or a reference to a deity on purpose. Examples... Gosh Darn, Oh Fudge, For Crying Out Loud and Heck. That way the person doing the swearing avoids running afoul of proper etiquette or incurring the wrath of the church. :devilish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath

Last edited: