Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Mark Twain

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Mark Twain

Twain evidently assumes most people to be really shallow. I have a more optimistic view of my fellow man.

I love Twain, one of America's greatest writers, but he could be pretty caustic at times.

DThomasC

Reaction score
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Einstein

Hmm. That fits with....

"Ernest Rutherford used to advise his students to distrust any concept (or their command of any concept) that they could not explain to a barmaid. Leon Lederman said, 'If the basic idea is too complicated to fit on a T-shirt, it's probably wrong."​

A woman I used to work with got this from her father who was a U.S. Army colonel:

Never explain to someone how to do something so that they understand it. Explain it so that they cannot possibly misunderstand it.

Which reminds me that one of my favorite teachers once said that "the best teachers are underappreciated because they explain things in a way that makes them seem obvious."

"My life keeps interfering with my future." Molly Dodd (played by Blair Brown)

“I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.” Popeye

"She stopped talking and I enjoyed the silence" Will Henry

A few of my own:

"Build the wall; we need to keep good Americans from leaving"
"Never take your anus for granted"
"My dog has ten t1ts. What have you got?"
"Let me be your virus"
"Love is not chocolate"
"Like a single pixel in an HD world..."
"If alcohol could drink itself I'd be worthless" (maybe stolen, I can't remember)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ten or twenty billion years ago, something happened -- the Big Bang, the event that began our universe. Why it happened is the greatest mystery we know. That it happened is reasonably clear. - Carl Sagan

Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money. - Leon Lederman

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Perspective for artists : There are over 6 billion people on this earth - most of them could not care less about your art.

F312

Reaction score
The universe is not stranger than you can imagine, ...it's stranger than you "can't" imagine.

Ralph

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The universe is not stranger than you can imagine, ...it's stranger than you "can't" imagine.

Ha, good one. A lot of the quotes I've collected pertain to science - physics, cosmology....

"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it." -- Timothy Ferris

In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite. - Paul Dirac

"Recently at a New York cocktail party, a young physicist was asked how he made his living and he replied that he was by specialty a cosmologist. While it might be debated whether cosmology constitutes a "living," his host remained undeterred and immediately inquired if it would be possible to make an appointment for a manicure and a haircut." - Tony Rothman​

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pressure is playing for $10 when you don't have a dime in your pocket.
Lee Trevino

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Clueless as usual, Dawes is Rufus Dawes who commanded the Sixth Wisconsin at Gettysburg. But Google tells me it is also a band so... The George Harrison Song "Any Road" has that exact line and it is understood to be a paraphrase from Alice in Wonderland.

thanks!

the Dawes album "Nothing is Wrong" is a real gem. particularly the version w the bonus track on the end (strangers getting stranger). this is one of the greatest records i've ever heard, from any band.

did u hear the one about the joke without a punchline?
or the story of a movie from a book?
like a stolen bouquet
meant to be given away
to the girl that never gave u a look

(Taylor Goldsmith)

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Did you ever get the feeling the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?" George Gobel on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Sis Boom Bah." Karnac the Magnificent, then he ripped open the envelope from Ed McMahon and read this question: "Describe the sound when a sheep explodes?"

I saw this one live one night long ago...

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
More Karnac from Johnny Carson Show.
Ed says, "yabba dabba Doo" and Karnac puts envelope to side of forehead and says, " what you look for when hunting Yabba Dabbas.?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"No one likes to see a governament folder with their name on it." - Stephen King

walrus