Guild Contest. Oy...

DThomasC

Reaction score
I am not an Instagram consumer, and am not part of the demographic they're going for anyway. But, if it helps the company be more successful, then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you are worried about privacy, don't enter the contest. It's a valid reason not to, and it's why there's a lot of things on-line that I don't do.

I've spent the last 30+ years with the "younger generation", and this current generation is absolutely looking at social media (all the time), does not care much about privacy, and is absolutely responding to social media marketing. The cost to Guild to advertise on this platform is very small, with a potential to catch lots of eyes. This is the type of stuff I cover in one of my classes. The "youth" market is where the most money is going right now - they have money, and they spend it.

As has been said, Guild is only trying to sell new guitars, and this is actually a good strategy for them to sell to a population that will soon be making decent salaries (if they aren't already) and have disposable income for toys like guitars. And, of course, the earlier they can create "loyal" customers, the better off they will be in the long run.

LTGers discussing the virtues of Hoboken vs. Westerly vs. New Hartford Guilds are not their target market.

walrus

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very true the current generation doesn’t care much about privacy. When I expressed concern about retail merchants selling individual purchase history data to Farcebook, who in turn uses it to target market and resell elsewhere, my son’s comment was “yeah, so what, everyone does that”.

I worked for a direct marketing company 15 years ago and it was scary how much personal data they had aggregated on nearly every person in America, and were reselling to retailers, financial institutions, insurance agencies, Fed and local law enforcement agencies. Several hundred attributes about each person. You can’t imagine.

Today, with the free flow of personal and private information that these invasive social media companies collect on you, I just pray our country doesn’t turn towards the dark side or millions will be headed for “re-education camps” for pre-crimes like they do in China.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m not missing the point. That IS the point I was making. The majority on LTG and Farcebook for the most part are not their primary target audience for the bulk of their new guitar sales.

ok. i'll brush up on my reading comprehension.

Mark WW

Reaction score
The younger (as it always has been and probably always will be) generation does and sees things differently than the folks that visit here and probably FB. Not to offend anyone here but this site is mostly about "used" Guilds. Not completely but primarily. I am an old fart and I do not like old stuff. Scratched, cracked, broken, twisted, stinky from cigarettes, all that holds little interest for me. My preference is new and shiny. But you guys only interested in the older Guilds...Bravo! But I applaud Cordoba/Guild for whatever efforts they take to keep the existing brand viable. By keeping the new stuff present they also keep the older guitars alive. I think they have done a heck of a job in a pretty short duration of time.

Plus I never win anything so...

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very true the current generation doesn’t care much about privacy. When I expressed concern about retail merchants selling individual purchase history data to Farcebook, who in turn uses it to target market and resell elsewhere, my son’s comment was “yeah, so what, everyone does that”.

I've heard the term "surveillance capitalists" used to describe what folks like Bezos, Brin, Zuckerberg, Page, et. al. are doing.