Another Year: No NGD

jwsamuel

Reaction score
I have just completed year three of not buying a guitar. That's right ... I have overcome GAS.

I am down to a single Guild GAD30R. It does everything I need and my bank account is feeling much better.

Jim

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great self discipline JW!! Proud there are those with such self control. But at this point in my life, a different Guild or another Bozung just excites the "begibbies" out of me. I would be a big "backslider" should I become infected with an ANTIGAS virus.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have just completed year three of not buying a guitar. That's right ... I have overcome GAS.

I am down to a single Guild GAD30R. It does everything I need and my bank account is feeling much better.

Jim
Happens to all of us. Your days of sowing wild oats are over; you’ve found the one for you!

But beware! The sickness never completely goes away. So make sure you continue to go to meetings. :devilish:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another year: I can't remember how many guitars I acquired.... :nevreness: I know the F512.... a blue JF30-12 came and went.... I think the Gibson Songwriter 12 was this year.... GAS is definitely slowing since I got the F50R, JF30-12, and now F512.... :chuncky:

jwsamuel

Reaction score
Great self discipline JW!!

It is not so much self-discipline as it is financial self-preservation. :)

Sometimes you have to just stick with what you already have. But once the situation forces you to do that, it's not as bad as you'd think.

Jim

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It is not so much self-discipline as it is financial self-preservation. :)

Sometimes you have to just stick with what you already have. But once the situation forces you to do that, it's not as bad as you'd think.

Jim
Understood and may you have a wonderful Holiday Season.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well done ! I think GAS is like the chickenpox. It can come back much later as another affliction entirely ! Nobody wants guitar shingles.

bobouz

Reaction score
In the '70s, at one point I ended up with ten guitars in the house.

In the '80s, I got it down to two, and it stayed that way for twenty years.

Today, the number stands at thirty (& two mandolins).

These things just sort of creep up on you!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAS is just GAS it's more about wants than needs.

It speaks more about yearning, to be a better player, or we just love toys.

I have 3 vintage Guild dreads because they were too good a deal, or investments, whatever the reason I now have three but my original (1973) sounds the best by far. It's got a range of bass and treble that just right on the money everytime.

By comparison the '71 is bassy, has higher action, I have it in open D, but I really never play it, didn't need it, should sell it.

The '73 D25 hog to flat back strikes me as thin and trebly when I first pick it up after the '73 D35, but if that one wasn't around, the D25 actually sounds really wonderful, it would be fine as your only guitar.

So in the end, my original dread beats out the two I got later. It took me about a year to figure this out, because everytime you get a new guitar, you're hoping maybe it's better than the one you already have, and that taints your hearing. After playing all for a while and losing the expectations of a new purchase, the trying to justify the purchase because of some exquisite tone you really want to hear, after all that has faded away and reality set back in, only then can you accurately compare old vs new for very similar models, like a pile of 70's dreads.

Even my F30 for all of it's really completely different sound doesn't do it for me like that '73 D35 can. What I learned here ($2500 lesson) is that my original D35 was a damn good one, and I didn't really need to buy any other guitars after that, but how else would I know that if I hadn't bought all those other guitars?

GAS is just GAS is sometimes it doesn't have a lot to do with actually playing a guitar.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know that this is "on purpose" and being considered a good thing. But I feel like our amazing skills as enablers has somehow taken a hit. I gotta think about this for a while...... :saturn:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Jim

Sorry Jim, but that kind of negativity has no place on this forum. :biggrin:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Exactly!!! And you're saying every time I wanna guitar in an alternate tuning, I gotta RETUNE every time?? Uhmmmmm, no!!

Ha! Reminds of a line from David Crosby - it's on the Crosby/Nash "Another Stoney Evening" live album - he has a few guitars there, I assume in different tunings. He starts to play a song, stops, and says to Nash, " I'm in the wrong guitar". Nash starts laughing, as does the audience, at the odd yet somehow accurate phrase...

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!! And you're saying every time I wanna guitar in an alternate tuning, I gotta RETUNE every time?? Uhmmmmm, no!!

That's the beauty of a couple too many guitars, just dedicate certain ones to certain tunings. My '73 D35 is tuned to standard, the '71 to open D, and the '71 F30 is in DADGAD.

Finally tried DADGAD.

Wish I'd discovered it ten or twenty years ago...

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha! Reminds of a line from David Crosby - it's on the Crosby/Nash "Another Stoney Evening" live album - he has a few guitars there, I assume in different tunings. He starts to play a song, stops, and says to Nash, " I'm in the wrong guitar". Nash starts laughing, as does the audience, at the odd yet somehow accurate phrase...

walrus

I was at an intimate show with Ellis Paul when somebody in the audience asked him why he was changing guitars. He replied; "That guitar doesn't know that song!"

When I first met Ellis he was playing a Guild D-100C. Sadly, he has since sold it!

jwsamuel

Reaction score
I know that this is "on purpose" and being considered a good thing. But I feel like our amazing skills as enablers has somehow taken a hit. I gotta think about this for a while...... :saturn:

There have been times I was tempted but then I asked myself what I could do on a new guitar that I cannot do on my GAD30R. The answer has always been nothing.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There have been times I was tempted but then I asked myself what I could do on a new guitar that I cannot do on my GAD30R. The answer has always been nothing.
Then you've made the right decision for you. Which is who counts in this decision making process.......

jwsamuel

Reaction score
Then you've made the right decision for you. Which is who counts in this decision making process.......

In my case, it really comes down to which would bring me the most improvement: a new guitar or an extra hour of playing every week. I got caught up in the fallacy that a new guitar would make me a better player. To an extent that is true if you are trying to play a really cheap guitar that has never been setup properly. But once you reach a certain level of guitar quality, practice helps more than new guitars.