1987 D50 Question

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of elite Guild minds here so I wanted to take a shot. Does anyone know the type of spruce used on the 1987 Westerly RI factory D50s? I have a beautiful example of one that I have listed and a buyer wants to know more about the type of spruce. I’m at a loss and would appreciate any help by those here. Thanks, and let me know if I need to provide details.

geoguy

Reaction score
I believe that Westerly was only using Sitka spruce for acoustic guitar tops in those days. Pretty sure that Adirondack spruce was used on some models, only beginning with the Tacoma factory.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe that Westerly was only using Sitka spruce for acoustic guitar tops in those days. Pretty sure that Adirondack spruce was used on some models, only beginning with the Tacoma factory.

+1. Sitka.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of elite Guild minds here so I wanted to take a shot. Does anyone know the type of spruce used on the 1987 Westerly RI factory D50s? I have a beautiful example of one that I have listed and a buyer wants to know more about the type of spruce. I’m at a loss and would appreciate any help by those here. Thanks, and let me know if I need to provide details.

As others mentioned, probably better than 99% probability it's sitka and for sure we (or at least I've) never seen anything from a credible source stating they used Adirondack prior to Tacoma, as Geoguy correctly thought.
What has confused the market a bit in the last few years is that when Tacoma introduced Adirondack tops, they also revived the "Bluegrass Special" model name originally used for the sitka-topped D50s introduced in '63.
By '87 those names weren't being used any more.
But some folks thought that because modern D50's used Adi then the vintage ones must have, too.
However Guild had a long-standing tradition of sourcing their woods a little differently than "the Big guys" and what they considered "standard" could easily have been "AA" by some makers and Guild's "select" or AA tops have been said to be as good or better than some makers' "AAA".
However, don't take my word for it, direct your buyer to this link:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?178790-Guild-Sighting-David-Byrne-on-a-Guild-A-E!
Guild's factory manager at the time ('87) and sole wood buyer/grader since the early '70's was a guy named Willie Fritscher and when it came to selecting wood he was DA MAN.
:smile:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks all, I reconsidered the sale... Something in me just won't allow me to let this one go. I appreciate hearing about wood selection, I always thought the grain on mine was exceptional.

3J6SuNS

TzuYLhK

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I reconsidered the sale... Something in me just won't allow me to let this one go. I appreciate hearing about wood selection, I always thought the grain on mine was exceptional.

https://imgur.com/3J6SuNS

https://imgur.com/TzuYLhK
Linking function not quite correctly used but can just cut & paste the bare links I weeded out to see the pics.
Yep gorgeous back, and does top have just a tiny hint of bearclaw by the lower treble bout side?
Probably the only thing that made it wind up on a D50, as opposed to a D55 or F50, other wiseyes there's that consistent silking across the entire top, supposed to be an indicator of a well-quarter-sawn top.
As far as I can tell, Guild must have quarter-sawn all their tops.

And just realized I accidentally pasted a previously copied link, I actually meant to link an article from Guild about wood selection, so here you go:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/woodselection.pdf

sailingshoes72

Reaction score

Beautiful rosewood on the back of that guitar. If it sounds as good as it looks, I'd have a hard time letting go of it as well! :smile-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! Beautiful guitar!! Later on they did some BG (bluegrass) versions and at some point (again later on, maybe even Tacoma) they had Adirondack spruce tops, but that looks like Sitka to me. Either way, i'm glad you're hanging on to it!! I would..... :encouragement:

beecee

Reaction score
Glad to see the Seller's pre-morse set in at the right time...that is a nice guitar. Hope it sounds half as good as it looks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Beautiful guitar!! Later on they did some BG (bluegrass) versions and at some point (again later on, maybe even Tacoma) they had Adirondack spruce tops, but that looks like Sitka to me. Either way, i'm glad you're hanging on to it!! I would..... :encouragement:
Post #4:
when Tacoma introduced Adirondack tops, they also revived the "Bluegrass Special" model name originally used for the sitka-topped D50s introduced in '63.
By '87 those names weren't being used any more.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@Al: In general yes, but adding the "g" at the end of the filename (before .jpg) gives you a scaled down size picture. Not sure if that always works and there might be other "tricks"/"codes".
Ralf