Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's mine, purchased out of curiosity awhile back as it was the
first one I'd ever seen for sale.

q6MwTLD.jpg

W3FR1MS.jpg

wileypickett

Reaction score
I just bought a WALNUT-topped JF30 12-string. No idea what to expect. Anyone in LTG-land experienced one of these before?

It's interesting to see Guild experimenting outside the box!

Glenn

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just bought a WALNUT-topped JF30 12-string. No idea what to expect. Anyone in LTG-land experienced one of these before?

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

I've seen several flat tops with the 'Walnut' color designation on the label and that were done towards the end of the '80s; those were regular spruce topped instruments! Could it be from that period?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Photos from facebook ad.

78696972_10221421842643727_4928907011510239232_o.jpg

Never seen a tag like that before. If it weren't in context I would believe the instrument was not MIA. But the Westerly label is right and, hey, "True American"? Seller confused about which tag came with which guitar or has a snarky sense of humor?

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Same here, wondering what is up with those inspection tags.

Oh, and I just nabbed another pic for the Guildy Feet album - score!

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Never seen a tag like that before. If it weren't in context I would believe the instrument was not MIA.
It is absolutely a Grand Rewards inspection tag, we've seen 'em before and it was the first clue we had that the Westerly Collection was made by the same factory that made the GAD's when a member posted photos of tags from both series.
The date "1997.8.16" surprises, me though.
I don't think that's from a GAD unless the date's a typo (or forged?) as the first GAD's didn't hit market until late '03 at the earliest.
Also, none of mine came with anything like that, either.
With all due pride, their set-ups spoke for themselves.
But the Westerly label is right and, hey, "True American"? Seller confused about which tag came with which guitar or has a snarky sense of humor?
Not being able to see the actual Facebook post(s), I assumed the first probability, due to the misleading date on the tag.
But it took me a minute to figure out the "snarky humor" comment, and now see that could be the case as well, and might explain the anachronistic tag date.
Maybe the poster "modified it", or is there more content there I can't see?
Here's a link to the ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-JF30...ring-Acoustic-Guitar-w-Hard-Case/352886297373

So "walnut" on the label refers to the color? How disappointing.

Thanks as always Hans!

Glenn

Wow, that sucker is dark!
Gotta admit it probably woulda made me wonder, too, as I can't remember seeing one with a Walnut color before, and especially with the finish color spelled out instead of abbreviated.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looked at that ebay ad some time back, thought the finish color on that
guitar was interesting -and rare - have seen one D30 finished the same way.
Just re-read the ad, could make a case for not-as-described.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looked at that ebay ad some time back, thought the finish color on that
guitar was interesting -and rare - have seen one D30 finished the same way.
Just re-read the ad, could make a case for not-as-described.
Well, to be fair, I'd bet seller was just stating exactly what was on label, and was clueless themselves.
Didn't see anything like a spec sheet stating the top was walnut so I think they'd be off the hook.
Case of caveat emptor.
:friendly_wink:

wileypickett

Reaction score
You're right Adorshki -- it IS dark! So much so that I read the color as black the first time I looked at the ad. (I should have remembered that "Cherry" labeled D25s refer to the color, not the wood.)

Well, if nothing else I got a JF30 12-string for short money. I made the seller an offer so low I didn't expect it to be accepted (taking into account the bridge lift) and he / she went for it.

This brings the number of Guild 12-strings i own up to nearly a dozen, so it'll have plenty of company!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You're right Adorshki -- it IS dark! So much so that I read the color as black the first time I looked at the ad. (I should have remembered that "Cherry" labeled D25s refer to the color, not the wood.)
Even then I don't recall ever seeing "Cherry" spelled out completely, only "C" or "CH"
Well, if nothing else I got a JF30 12-string for short money. I made the seller an offer so low I didn't expect it to be accepted (taking into account the bridge lift) and he / she went for it.

This brings the number of Guild 12-strings i own up to nearly a dozen, so it'll have plenty of company!

I move you need to make it an even dozen:
12 12-ers.
A gross of Guild goodness.
144 ways to please your lover.
12 days of..
Sorry, having another Austin Powers flashback.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is absolutely a Grand Rewards inspection tag.
I don't think so. The Chinese GR tags were quite different. The names sound Korean (Kim and Hong). I'm not sure about the two red letters/signs in the stamp if they are Chinese or Korean, they look Korean to me as awell. Anyway, hang tag is from whatever but not from this guitar.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. The Chinese GR tags were quite different. The names sound Korean (Kim and Hong). I'm not sure about the two red letters/signs in the stamp if they are Chinese or Korean, they look Korean to me as awell. Anyway, hang tag is from whatever but not from this guitar.
Ralf

Thank you Ralf, didn't take the time to search the forum for those earlier pics (spank me for being in a rush to post), but was sure because the GREE tags showed the action set-up specs too.

Ah, here we go, from post #26, here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193879-New-Member-and-GAD-Guilds

Endkontrolle.jpg

Still, bottom line is that there's no way that was an inspection tag on a D4M.
And coincidentally just noted today they actually formally announced the D4 offering having a 'hog top option in the '99 Guild Gallery #4, pg. 15:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/07/28/guild-gallery-catalog-1999-july-december/