Is this how it all starts? The downward spiral.......

Brucebubs

Reaction score
And then there's the curious case of wire coat hangers breeding in your closet.

One day you notice a spare wire hanger or two in the closet - a few weeks later there's four or five.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can you see where it is??

NxmvvG.jpg

Proof of the mind's fantastic capacity to filter perceptions according to expectations:
"I don't expect it to be there so I don't see it".
LSD has been shown to be effective in overcoming this neuropathic conundrum, one can see a lot of things one doesn't expect to see while on LSD therapy.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, yeah, tools always! And I've even been sitting on the shop floor and not gotten up for anything and the screwdriver or the socket wrench is gone!! FROM A SITTING POSITION!! walrus, I checked the sink and garbage disposal carefully with my hand and then turned it on just to make sure (with the hand removed) and still nothing. I've checked my pockets, everything. I assume it'll show up one day after I've bought a new one.

The worst I ever did was when I was on the cell phone with someone, racing around my house trying to leave for an appointment and when they asked, "What's going on there?" because I was all frantic, I said, "I'm trying to find my phone because I gotta leave!!!" They said, "Uhmmmm, you're talking to me on it....."

Well, that's embarrassing......

Oh boy, I laughed out loud at that! Perfect!

Only if it turns political...... :devilish:

Well, I've never voted for anyone who put sunglasses on their head...

About 7 years ago we went out to dinner and came home like normal. I actually (for a change) hung up my pants in the closet. Next day I started a search for my wallet. Nowhere!! I crawled around on the floor, inside the closet, my truck, the parking lot at the restaurant, and the manager even checked the security video to make sure I didn't leave it at the bar. Nothing! So I started replacing things. Drivers License, all new cards, Clark County Health Dept. Card and TAM Card (for work to serve food and liquor), everything. Everything got replaced and I even got a new wallet. So two weeks later, I'm talking on the phone staring at how filthy the carpeting is and knowing it was time to get it cleaned, when I found it. Can you see where it is??

NxmvvG.jpg

I see it, but that is really a great place to hide if that wallet did not want to be found. Excellent camouflage!

walrus

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Losing a humidifier lid? No problem. A wallet? Well, a little trickier but definitely doable.

How about a one gallon jug of neatsfoot oil? That disappeared for about two years and suddenly resurfaced in the middle of my work room floor. Al's theory seems to fit pretty well there.

Tools are a totally different deal. If automobile engines are not occasionally fed a 9/16" wrench they will cease to function. And anyone who can't lose an 18 inch pipe wrench in a 10' x 10' bathroom just isn't trying.

…And then there's the work van we cleaned out one day and found 14 tape measures.

OK, gotta go; I can't find my coffee.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Where the hell is my hearing aid??"

Actually, it was in my ear.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too funny, Tom. I have had a few inexplicable item losses over the years myself. Usually, eventually, stuff shows up. Do not consider yourself alone. :)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pack rats, known as trade rats. No, not you, but the animal rodent kind.

They like shiny things and would be along with one to take to their midden, and then see your wristwatch laying next to your pillow while sleeping by the campfire, and in the morning you would wake up with the shiny rock the pack rat left there, hence trade rat.

They have impressive collections of things, like us, and archeologist are finding all kinds of cool ancient seeds and other stuff in their middens.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I have a cat (Hopscotch) who, when a kitten, would collect odds and ends around the house and cache them behind a box under our futon. When we finally discovered his "nest," we found three of my thumbpicks, several dried-out grape stems, some coffee stirrrers, the lid from a tube of face moisturizer, and I forget what else.

Everyone needs "their own stuff" and a place to hide it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Gotta pay for your room and board!

I think it's time for Tom to get a new kitten.
He could kill 2 birds with one cat, so to speak:
He'd have a first place to look for lost thingamajigs, and cut down on the food overhead.
"Bird up" the protein content in the chili..

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Having just stepped off yet another plane, I have to say I love the bar cart!