Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.7 million packages a day missing at a cost of $25m, 90,000 a day in NYC.

1.7 million packages a day missing at a cost of $25m, 90,000 a day in NYC.

Would be interesting to compare percentages-like packages stolen to total population to a smaller market city like Nashville, TN? Bet percentages would not vary a lot and, also, wonder how accurate statistics are gathered?
    1983 Guild G45
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread
    2014 Guild D55 NT
    2019 CB Super with Engelmann Top and Cocobolo Back and Sides

Wow, 90,000 per day? Wow is all I can say.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Would be interesting to compare percentages-like packages stolen to total population to a smaller market city like Nashville, TN? Bet percentages would not vary a lot and, also,]wonder how accurate statistics are gathered?
    Can't resist:
    In the same way as that other famous oxymoron, military intelligence?
    OR:
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    -Mark Twain

Joking aside, I suspect your basic premise would hold if starting off using a national average but I'd hazard that variables like income distribution and style of architecture would skew regional results.
    I'd expect architecture that contributes to anonymity to be attractive to package thieves, and that was actually the first thing that occurred to me when I saw all the cities named were in areas that get multiple snowfalls annually.
    Lots of buildings with interior dwelling entrances, compared to areas where the entrance doors are outside and more visible to neighbors, for example.
    Off on a tangent, but it's always been one of the issues I had with several internet purchases:
    Stuff just left at my doorway in a 200-unit apartment complex.
    Sure it's typically low-value stuff but still, having to hassle making a claim and waiting for replacement simply bites.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I put insurance and signature requirements on everything I sent if I canít afford to eat the cost. No mysterious disappearances on those. My former USPS postmaster told me if it goes to or through NYC itís a total crapshot if it will reach its destination. If it isnít insured and signed-for, then fahgeddiboutit.
    1979 Guild F-112 TSB (Natalie)
    1996 Guild A-50 (Angelica)
    2011 Guild F-30CE
    2012 Guild F-30R (Rosie)
    2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
    --- Sold but not forgotten ---
    2012 Guild F-30, 2015 Alvarez MFA-70, 2015 Martin OM-28 VTS, 2016 Alvarez AF-60, 1990 Gibson ES-347

I ordered a Weber grill from Bero Mart a couple weeks ago. $65.00 for the standard 22" one-touch kettle grill, prtetty good price. Problem is, when it arrived, it was a Charbroil grill. I don't want a Charbroil grill, I want my Weber grill. Bero Mart? Nowhere to be found. Let's see what Paypal can do for me; stay tuned...
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    I ordered a Weber grill from Bero Mart a couple weeks ago. $65.00 for the standard 22" one-touch kettle grill, prtetty good price. Problem is, when it arrived, it was a Charbroil grill. I don't want a Charbroil grill, I want my Weber grill. Bero Mart? Nowhere to be found. Let's see what Paypal can do for me; stay tuned...
    Yet another of my pet internet sale peeves.
    Same thing happened to me with a small heater fan last year.
    What really irritates the hell out of me is that THERE IS STUFF I CAN'T BUY IN A REAL STORE ANYMORE, OR I WOULD.

grrrrr.........
    Last edited by adorshki; 12-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
    I put insurance and signature requirements on everything I sent if I can’t afford to eat the cost. No mysterious disappearances on those. My former USPS postmaster told me if it goes to or through NYC it’s a total crapshot if it will reach its destination. If it isn’t insured and signed-for, then fahgeddiboutit.
    Sounds like your former postmaster doesn't know what he's talking about. If it doesn't get there, it's an addressing error or some sort of freak accident, like the contractor's truck caught fire.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

I tried to buy Michelin Defender tires from my Subaru wagon, TWICE, on the net. 1st set showed up were Firestones in the wrong tire size (Simpletire.com), second set (also from Simpletire.com but through a different vendor) were Michelin in the right size but not Defenders, they were made for Cosco/Walmart.

Each set I had to afix labels on and haul their stinky carcasses in the hot summer sun a 60 mile round trip just to get rid of them, and then deal with the refund later, between two sets it amounted to a lot on my CC.

Bait and switch anyone?

I finally lucked into a set of tires local. Never again on super deals on tires online.

Actually of all the stuff I've bought online over the last few years, this is the first problem I've had like this. I had one item that didn't work properly and my $ were refunded immediately, so I don't consider that an issue, they didn't even ask for the item back, it was only about $15.00.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp