The Voice - Guild sighting

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone familiar with this season knows that country singer Jake Hoot is rarely seen without his trusty F-50. He's in the final 10, so its been great publicity for Guild.

nup_189283_2729-e1575303588365.jpg

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He's a big boy!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this season knows that country singer Jake Hoot is rarely seen without his trusty F-50. He's in the final 10, so its been great publicity for Guild.
nup_189283_2729-e1575303588365.jpg
Kinda doubt they ever made an F50 with a chesterfield.
:friendly_wink:
20191001-113307-phpDgUMW0.jpg

Suspect that's actually an early 70's F40NT (sides and backs were maple stained mahogany color; and has black 'guard, and those tuner bezels are kind of distinctive, too, being so large)
hoot.jpg

So even if he is a large fellow the guitar's an inch narrower across the lower bout than an F50, too.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My mistake then. It looked larger than an (older) F40 so I assumed F50. What year do you think it is?

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah I'd pegged it as an F40 too - pretty cool to see one out front like that!
Go Jake!

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a huge picture of the guitar in question. Unfortunatelly one more with the wrongly mounted TRC...

Jake-Hoot.jpg

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd pegged it as an F40 too - pretty cool to see one out front like that!
Go Jake!
A-yup.
:smile:

My mistake then. It looked larger than an (older) F40 so I assumed F50. What year do you think it is?
"(Suspect that's actually an early 70's F40NT (sides and backs were maple stained mahogany color; and has black 'guard, and those tuner bezels are kind of distinctive, too, being so large)"
F40 had been replaced by F47 from approximately '64-' 71, "IIRC" they came back in late '71 although not shown on price lists again until '72 (?).
Hans confirmed the actual dates within the last few months but can't seem to find it.
I think black 'guard's the best indicator as I can find a '73 blonde with it:
https://reverb.com/item/25426705-guild-f-40-1973-blonde
mli2pfmg5k9cq0ydqldz.jpg

(s/n appears to be 93746 which does fit '73 on Guild's chart)
but by '76 catalog it's shown with tortoise:
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/08/12/guild-guitar-catalog-1976-acoustic/
I think that's about as close as I can get.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool, Guild Guy Jake Hoot wins The Voice!

Listen up Guild, sponsor this guy!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
F50 has abalone triangles inside MOP blocks, too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here's a huge picture of the guitar in question. Unfortunatelly one more with the wrongly mounted TRC...

Jake-Hoot.jpg

Ralf

A few random thoughts:

First, the black/white end pins are interesting...

Second, I'm actually surprised he has been "allowed" to use this guitar. Normally these shows have a deal with a brand and every player uses that brand. Usually Taylor! "The Voice" seems slightly more "legitimate" if they are not doing that - giving up some advertising cash to let each singer do their own thing.

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Second, I'm actually surprised he has been "allowed" to use this guitar. Normally these shows have a deal with a brand and every player uses that brand. Usually Taylor! "The Voice" seems slightly more "legitimate" if they are not doing that - giving up some advertising cash to let each singer do their own thing.

walrus

It all depends upon the contracts but my observation has been that a performer's or athlete's sponsorship (or sometimes even preference) trumps the producer's or venue's agreements. So the deals I have checked out are not as exclusive as they could be. If Ms. Rising Star says she will do the show with her Guild or do the show with your Taylor for a cut of the money Taylor's paying and that is in addition to her appearance fee it can make economic sense to let her have her Guild. Check shoe brands in the NFL for more stories.

Curiously my search-fu was not good enough to find a documented instance of Taylor paying the Voice for product placement. I'm sure they have done so but the documentation is hidden beyond my search capabilities.

crank

Reaction score
More random thoughts.

Seems like when I go out to see acoustic acts everyone and their sister is playing Taylors. 90% of these people are not sponsored. They are just the popular guitar for you basic singer strummer.

On the Voice I have seen plenty of different brands. Gibson, Taylor, Fender, Martin...Blake Shelton plays a Takamine.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It all depends upon the contracts but my observation has been that a performer's or athlete's sponsorship (or sometimes even preference) trumps the producer's or venue's agreements. So the deals I have checked out are not as exclusive as they could be. If Ms. Rising Star says she will do the show with her Guild or do the show with your Taylor for a cut of the money Taylor's paying and that is in addition to her appearance fee it can make economic sense to let her have her Guild. Check shoe brands in the NFL for more stories.

On most of these shows, "Ms. Rising Star" has very little say about anything. From the usual source:

Any contestant who reveals the details of the show's contract can be sued for between $100,000 to $1 million. According to that report, contestants are paid a small stipend to cover expenses during the filming of the show, but they give up some basic legal protections in agreeing to take their shot at fame and fortune.

More random thoughts.

Seems like when I go out to see acoustic acts everyone and their sister is playing Taylors. 90% of these people are not sponsored. They are just the popular guitar for you basic singer strummer.

On the Voice I have seen plenty of different brands. Gibson, Taylor, Fender, Martin...Blake Shelton plays a Takamine.

I think the Voice is less "aggressive" than some of these "talent" shows regarding what each contestant can do. When I said "these shows" I was thinking of them in their entirety.

Here's an eye-opening link about some of these shows and what the contestants get:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-voice-contestants-get-paid.html/

walrus