Fender Bassman Question

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, as many of you (maybe all) have now figured out, I truly am an ignorant man. I'm not all that ashamed of it. To me, it just means there are a lot more things I need to learn before I check out.

So, here is my question. A year or 2 ago I bought a vintage Bassman 4X10 (I've been told late 60's or early 70's). It's in really nice shape cosmetically. I finally got around to plugging something into it. The red light came on and then fizzled out. My 1st thought was a fuse. So, I pulled the fuse (and it does look like it's shot) and went to the local Hardware Store where I was confronted with similar looking fuses, all labeled differently.

My eye's aren't what they used to be so I asked the young lady to write down what she saw on the fuse. Here's what she wrote:

2-1/2A/12.5V (I think it says 12.5 anyway) and then also 313 3AG. I saw nothing in the fuse area that was labeled anything near that.

So, given all that (and maybe what you all just know about it) can anyone tell me what I should be looking for as a replacement fuse? And, do they need to be ordered from a special type place or are they all just generic?

If that's all it is, I hate to lug the thing 120 miles round trip to the nearest amp tech.

As usual, any input is much required.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, as many of you (maybe all) have now figured out, I truly am an ignorant man. I'm not all that ashamed of it. To me, it just means there are a lot more things I need to learn before I check out.

Richard

I do not know what the correct value of that spesific fuse is - but they are "generic" as long they have right physical size and Amp size - plus fast or slow.

Other guys will find the right one.

You write though, that you bought the amp 1-2 years ago - and plug something in it NOW - did not check it when it came? THAT could mean there is maybe bad capacitors inside or something else that blows the fue - UNLESS the one inside is too small. But like I wrote - other guys will give you the right size info soon or sooner - perhaps even later.

Now what bugs me a bit is what you tell about you. You've done it before - that's why I write this.
I do not consider you an ignorant man - you might not have technical knowledge - but surely you do have something else, that rest of us can only dream of.
My dear wife i.e. is psychoterapist who does not understand nearly anything technical - I am roadie - front-of-house mixing guy - recording studio engineer and analogue electronics repair guy.
She can make delicious foods - make garden flourish - myriad of other things besides being successfull at her job.

So - be brave - we all accept you as you are.

DThomasC

Reaction score
As Gary linked to, the size you need is 3AG. That's the physical size and shape. You need one with a current rating of 2 or 3 amps (2A or 3A) that is a Slo-Blo type. You need a slow fuse because there's a large current surge when you first turn the amp on that will blow a fast 2A or 3A fuse.As Gary wrote, it really doesn't matter if it's 125V or 250V. (The lady in the hardware store probably misread 125V as 12.5V, but who knows?)

But, you'll be wasting money on fuses until you find out why the the first one blew. I might try one more fuse on the odd chance that it had the wrong one in there to begin with, but if that ones blows then you have no choice but to take it someone that understands tube amps and can troubleshoot it.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A fuse for common garden variety Bassman should be pretty easy to find. My bassman is gone, but isn't it stenciled on the back of the amp, next to the fuse holder? Typically something like 1.5A to 3A Slo Blo fuse. I usually replace with what's already in there. Because of an amp getting older, it's very possible a slightly bigger fuse is the only way it would run without popping a fuse.

The reason the fuse is blowing? Probably power supply filter caps that are shot, or some other easily found culprit, anything but a blown transformer and you probably don't have that, power or output, they are probably both fine.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Again, thanks to all for much appreciated input. I've decided to take the Bassman in to a reputable amp Tech to go over it and "make it right" if possible.