Repaired a Carvin C100D amp today

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
So my friend bought one of Scott's amps, a nice Carvin acoustic, 100 W, 3 channels. Problem is it was coming and going - channels worked, then they didn't. Very annoying because it wouldn't work, then it would suddenly start working again. First step to a good repair - thorough function test prior to doing anything: what works, what doesn't? Establishing this baseline is necessary before you start diddling with it, because if the problem changes, it's likely due to something you did.

I found online where this is a known problem with these Carvins - cutting in and out. The bloggers recommended two procedures (1) remove and re-install the ribbon cables, cleaning them with compressed circuit cleaner, and (2) re-solder the connections between the inputs and the circuit board.

Removed four screws from the top, and the amp slid right out. Second step to a good repair - a thorough visual inspection as well as a sniff test. No burn smell, and the solder joints all looked perfect, they're solid and shiny, no cracking or dullness at all, so I left them alone. (I've learned from years in the electronics industry, don't "touch-up" solder joints unless there's a darn good reason; you'll just cause more problems.) In the Navy, they called this "non-destructive repair."

So, I removed the ribbon cable connectors one at a time, (8 or 9 of them) sprayed them out with circuit cleaner and reinstalled them, and Voila, problems solved. Coulda been the cleaning, coulda been re-establishing good contact between the connector pins and sockets, but it worked.

My friend was in awe of my electronics wizardry, LOL, and he went home with a working amp. I love it when it all comes together.