Kurt's 1970s S200

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was somewhat tempted by them, but the SF lV was the first one in the Philly area.

Hammer

Reaction score
And to this day they STILL can’t figure out the value of the phase switch. No phase switch = not an S-100. It might as well be a les paul with a bolt-on neck, that’s how off the mark it is.

1970 called. It begs to differ. :tongue-new:

Zelja

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but the first batch of Newark Street S-100s sounded like total garbage. I was stoked to buy one of the first ones in Santa Monica and left the store absolutely furious that guild could mess up that guitar so horribly.
Hey Kent, I bought a later version with the full sized HB-1s from forum member hagmeat. It's not quite as good as the one I bought from you (the black '77) but it's a solid guitar. The repro HB-1s are pretty good but I think vintage HB-1s are better (I put a vintage bridge HB-1 in the guitar). Sounds a bit brighter than my other S-100s, probably due to the heavier wood, but it certainly fills a useful sonic space in the arsenal. The upside is that the neck carve, with a full 1 11/16" width at the nut, is probably the most comfortable for me out of all of my S-100s.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Video blurry to me. Thought it was a 4004. Hard to see. Headstock not clear in my viewfinder.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh I didn't know that. That would make sense! The bridge piece and the distance of the upper horn from the neck made me think 4004.
"Guys, is it ok if I bring my Ricky to the photo shoot at the factory tour tomorrow?" "Huh?" "Why all the glares?"

koaguilds

Reaction score
My dream would be to have had one (S200) built like yours but finished in that sublime 1990's translucent Green with chrome hardware

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans probably does but I'm not sure he's tellin'!
Actually, I do not know! But it is true that I don't like to give a seller 'ammunition' to jack up the price of a rare instrument. I feel that you only deserve it when you've done the research yourself.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Killer Blues, Buddy Guy style?

16kΩ is too hot for for a Dimarzio Super Distortion, but more exactly like Duncan's JB, or Jeff Beck model, a very impressive pickup if you like some sweet feedback. 4 wire as well, so coil splitting and phase switching available.

It was typically coupled with a Jazz in the neck position, the combination was incredible in a rare oddball 70's 2 pc flametop Les Paul, that had a master volume knob where the pickguard usually sits. Wishing I had that guitar now.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@​

The Super Distortion® is primarily a bridge position pickup, although it can be used in the neck position with a relatively low-gain amp. Specifically designed for solid-bodies: hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.

Quick Connect

No

Wiring

4 Conductor

Magnet

Ceramic

Resistance

13.68 Kohm

Year of Introduction

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@​

The Seymour Duncan JB;

"For nearly four decades, the legendary JB Model (SH-4, TB-4) has been the ultimate hot-rodded humbucker. A truly modern classic.

The JB Model humbucker is our most popular pickup of all time - . Blues, country, fusion, punk, hard rock, grunge, thrash; the JB has always sounded just right, even as new genres emerged around it. The low end is full and powerful, the highs are crisp and detailed and there’s an upper-midrange bump that adds crunch and chunk to heavy chords but translates to a singing, vocal-like quality when you play single notes or solos. Meanwhile the hot output pushes your amp just that little bit harder for more sustain and harmonics.
Use it with a 500k volume pot for great high-end cut, or try a 250k pot to sweeten and soften the tone for smoother styles. It pairs particularly well with the Jazz or ’59 neck pickups, and some players even like to use a JB in the neck position for an extra-fat solo tone.
Hand built in our Santa Barbara, CA factory, the JB Model uses an Alnico 5 bar magnet, nickel silver bottom plate, 4-conductor lead wire for multiple wiring options like series, parallel and split coil, and is vacuum wax potted for squeal-free performance. Available in standard humbucker and Trembucker spacing for 6-String, as well as passive mount 7-String options."

Last edited: