Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
20200122_221210.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup! I have to order some in a couple more thicknesses and in ivory. After I glue the b/w/b/w together, I'll need to age it. Good thing I'm not in a hurry!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, taking off the hardware, I noticed a split down the center seam. Ordered some wood for cleating. Thanks to the three pups and the pushbutton route, it won't be difficult to do.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Starting to strip it down. Getting the cleats positioned behind the top crack is going to be interesting, particularly with the working time of hide glue.

20200216_091835.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Between the neck pup and the middle pup, all three layers are delaminating. The rest seems to be just a split in the top layer. Also noticed that the cap to ground has been desoldered at some point in this guitar's career, so I won't feel bad about disconnecting it now.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you have a light you can fish through the holes, you can see if it shines through the crack.
It would be interesting too if you can use a telescoping mirror to see the underside of the seam to see if someone tried to address this before. The dark discoloration spots along the crack on the top are curious and might be evidence of this. Hmmm. . . ?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the ghost of the harp you are seeing. It's strange, the top is darker where the light hit it, and lighter under the bridge feet and the treble pickup. I thought it would be the other way around.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the ghost of the harpy you are seeing. It's strange, the top is darker where the light hit it, and lighter under the bridge feet and the treble pickup. I thought it would be the other way around.
Oh, of course. That makes perfect sense, however, you're right. I would expect the finish to be darker beneath the tailpiece.