Linda Ronstadt - "The Sound of My Voice"

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority here. Always thought she was a mediocre singer...

I'm kinda in agreement with you here. There was always a bit of a nasal whine in her vocals that was annoying to me. But she could belt out a rock & roll song with the best of 'em... "Tumblin' Dice", "When Will I Be Loved", "You're No Good". And, she was able to "hit the note" in "Blue Bayou".

The interesting part of the documentary for me, was how well it captures the music scene in LA during the early 70's when there was a lot of cross-pollination going on with Rock & Roll, Country, Folk and Bluegrass. All these musicians rubbing shoulders with each other in the Studio, at Clubs and in private homes. There was also a fair amount of drugs and dysfunction happening as well. This was a time when concerts were moving away from Music Halls and into sports arenas. And, I remember attending many of these shows!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll bet she sings better than you and don't know or care what her politics are.

Hey, anybody that can carry a tune in a bag can sing better then me! I don't believe I made that claim. I feel for her that she can't sing anymore, same as Julie Andrews. At least Julie took up a new worthwhile endeavor in writing children's books. Linda thinks that people care what her political believes are as do a large majority of the "Entertainment" faction. Since you don't know or care what her political views are, why are you attacking me about it? Pretty sure I'm allowed to state my opinion as long as I follow the Forum rules.

I'm watching.

Yes Sir, trying to toe the line here!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i think Crosby's song, Cowboy Movie, had her as the Raven character in the lyrics. foggy recollection...some ill-fated tryst with Stills.

JF-30

Reaction score
Hey, anybody that can carry a tune in a bag can sing better then me! I don't believe I made that claim. I feel for her that she can't sing anymore, same as Julie Andrews. At least Julie took up a new worthwhile endeavor in writing children's books. Linda thinks that people care what her political believes are as do a large majority of the "Entertainment" faction. Since you don't know or care what her political views are, why are you attacking me about it? Pretty sure I'm allowed to state my opinion as long as I follow the Forum rules.

Yes Sir, trying to toe the line here!

You said she could not sing. That may now be true since her voice is gone due to Parkinson's, I think. But in the 70's she could sing with the best of them. I am not attacking you. I have not followed Linda's carrier for quite some time and I have no idea what she stands to for against. She is a pro and listen to what the other pros in the doc say about her.

I'm 53 and I can make up my own mind about...well...pretty much everything. I listen to music and don't vote how Springsteen or Jackson Browne or any other musician wants me too. I have their music and I listen to it. If they put their opinion on album I stop listening to it. I no longer listen to Bruce due to his views and him running his yap. If Linda is doing it as well, the same will go for her when she pops up and tries to tell me how to live.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
i think Crosby's song, Cowboy Movie, had her as the Raven character in the lyrics. foggy recollection...some ill-fated tryst with Stills.

"Cowboy Song" is a great song! Actually, "Raven" was Rita Coolidge.

FYI, from the usual source:

"One of the most autobiographical songs to stem from the diaspora of CSN&Y, David Crosby's "Cowboy Movie" is the actual story of the (temporary) 1970 breakup of that very group. The individual members are all given aliases: Stephen Stills is Eli ("our fastest gunner/kinda mean & young, from the South"). Graham Nash is The Duke ("our dynamiter"), Neil Young is Young Billy, who has an almost psychic ability to predict trouble, and Crosby himself is Fat Albert, who becomes an interested and interesting bystander. The other main character is Raven, who represents Rita Coolidge, who in real life had affairs with Stills first, then Nash. This in itself caused the ill-feelings between Nash and Stills at the time, and caused the temporary fraction in the band. "

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
"Cowboy Song" is a great song! Actually, "Raven" was Rita Coolidge.

FYI, from the usual source:

"One of the most autobiographical songs to stem from the diaspora of CSN&Y, David Crosby's "Cowboy Movie" is the actual story of the (temporary) 1970 breakup of that very group. The individual members are all given aliases: Stephen Stills is Eli ("our fastest gunner/kinda mean & young, from the South"). Graham Nash is The Duke ("our dynamiter"), Neil Young is Young Billy, who has an almost psychic ability to predict trouble, and Crosby himself is Fat Albert, who becomes an interested and interesting bystander. The other main character is Raven, who represents Rita Coolidge, who in real life had affairs with Stills first, then Nash. This in itself caused the ill-feelings between Nash and Stills at the time, and caused the temporary fraction in the band. "

walrus

I read Nash's book Wild Tales and those guys were all a bunch of J-holes to each other. And the final straw was Croz talking smack about Neil's current wife Daryl Hannah. Saw CSN live twice. They were great when they made music together. Croz decided to put most of his earnings up his nose.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You said she could not sing.

No I said;

Always thought she was a mediocre singer...

That is not the same as can not sing and is my opinion. Personally I find her voice a slight bit irritating.

And while I'm pissing people off, I also don't get the love for Joni Mitchell. To my ears when she breaks into falsetto it's like nails on a blackboard. But hey, to each their own!

JF-30

Reaction score
Your right I miss read it. Who do you like Garth and Taylor Swift?

beecee

Reaction score
That is not the same as can not sing and is my opinion. Personally I find her voice a slight bit irritating.

I don't agree.

And while I'm pissing people off, I also don't get the love for Joni Mitchell. To my ears when she breaks into falsetto it's like nails on a blackboard. But hey, to each their own!

Oh my...I agree. I thought I was the only one who did not get her.

I actually like a lot of Garth's stuff....and he had a pretty good "bio" on TV over the holidays.

I did enjoy the show and recorded it as well.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have to go see him in May. My wife loves that, I will use the term loosely "country" artist. His voice is how you say irritating and his "country" music to me is an absolute joke. Don't get me wrong I do like country music just not him or the Ken and Barbie k rap Nashville shoves down our throats. I like the legends, (Wille, Waylon, Merle, Johnny, George ect), Chris Stapleton, and Sturgill Simpson (although his last album was and electronic noise fest of garb). Yeah some of them are more vocal stylists, but they had and have the attitude and forged the way for most of the clowns doing it today. Most of it is really pop music. Just because you sing about your dog, tractor, truck and a girl in booty shorts and put a steel guitar in the background and sing with an annoying nasal draw does not make it country. IMHO

Taylor Swift is easy on the eyes, but I don't want to hear words coming out of her mouth.

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is Ray Charles singing Georgia country?

JF-30

Reaction score
Good question. It a great song by a great artist. Maybe a little more soul than country. Is Garth faking to be Chris Gaines, I think, he did back in the 90's - Rock?

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did you happen to watch Ken Burns Country documentary?

What I took away is that it's pretty hard to define country, like all genres. Unfortunately today the record labels own the radio stations and through their playlists, they get to define country while pushing their artists and selling their albums.

JF-30

Reaction score
No, but I love Music Docs and it is on my list. I took a class in college about American Music and learned a lot about country, bluegrass music, ect.

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor Swift is easy on the eyes, but I don't want to hear words coming out of her mouth.

I appreciated her (and her producers and engineers) ability to craft a pop tune, but didn't pay her a whole lot of mind.

I changed my mind after I saw her Tiny Desk concert:

JF-30

Reaction score
I appreciated her (and her producers and engineers) ability to craft a pop tune, but didn't pay her a whole lot of mind.

I changed my mind after I saw her Tiny Desk concert:

Could not make it past the first song. It sounded like bad Suzanne Vega, sung by someone who is just better looking.

Doesn't she have her own signature guitar and why is she not using it?

Last edited: