More Woodstock, fascinating facts, logistics...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's hard to believe is that there were actually more people (600,000) at Watkins Glen in '73 for a one day concert by The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and The Band.

Ever been to Watkins Glen? How the Sam Hill did they get all those people in there on 2-lane roads?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"And when Richie Havens, the festival’s opening act, died in 2013, his family had one request: that his ashes be scattered by helicopter over the field where the festival took place."
If I knew that I'd forgotten.
Made me cry.

crank

Reaction score
What's hard to believe is that there were actually more people (600,000) at Watkins Glen in '73 for a one day concert by The Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, and The Band.

Ever been to Watkins Glen? How the Sam Hill did they get all those people in there on 2-lane roads?

I was there. It was kind of slow getting in. We drove up Friday and got there in the afternoon and were able to drive all the way to our campsite. Dead played a 2+ hour set as a soundcheck Friday night.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
. . . Ever been to Watkins Glen? How the Sam Hill did they get all those people in there on 2-lane roads?
The back-up at Woodstock was a parking problem, not a road problem. Yazgur's farm was designed for - uh - farming. The Watkins Glen raceway was designed for heavy spectator traffic. It had plenty of easy parking.

Not as nice a place, though.