This is why I get up in the morning.....

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Now, that was good and his rhythm player to his left is a testimony to fast strumming.

beecee

Reaction score
I have said it for years and it stands.. I get exposed to more great artists/music here than anywhere.

Thank you sir!!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that guit-steel is interesting!

https://www.stevensguitars.com/artists/juniorbrown/

guitsteel.jpg

"In 1985, Brown created a new type of double-neck guitar, with some assistance from Michael Stevens. Brown called the instrument his "guit-steel". When performing, Brown plays the guitar by standing behind it, while it rests on a small music stand. The top neck on the guit-steel is a traditional six-string guitar, while the lower neck is a full-size lap steel guitar for slide playing. ... The original instrument, dubbed "Old Yeller", has as its standard six-string guitar portion the neck and pickups from Brown's previous stage guitar, a Fender Bullet. ...Brown has stated that the invention of the guit-steel was always a matter of convenience so that he could play both lap steel and lead guitar during live performances and not directly motivated by a desire to be a "one man band"."

640px-Junior_Brown_2014.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
Nominee for the country musics Best Song Title: Junior Brown: “My Wife Thinks You’re Dead”

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was terrific !

crank

Reaction score
I've been aware of Junior since right around the time he came out with Highway Patrol and My Wife Thinks Your Dead. Not sure how well they charted but those songs definitely put him on the radar. I worked for CMT at the time and his videos got a lot of airplay. An old friend who is a really good guitarist has been to see Junior at clubs in NYC several times. I't thinking I should get out and see him. Amazing speed and technical skills and kind of wacky at the same time. Gotta love it!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tele man gone wild... Never even heard of him, but he had me at the first three notes... Damn if he didn't channel a little Alvin Lee in there somewhere, and I barely even watched, saving for when I get a minute to really pay attention.

Shoot, I'd learn a lot just watching this guy play.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Tele man gone wild... Never even heard of him, but he had me at the first three notes... Damn if he didn't channel a little Alvin Lee in there somewhere, and I barely even watched, saving for when I get a minute to really pay attention.

Shoot, I'd learn a lot just watching this guy play.

I sure have Guilded.. I have stolen many a tricks from this cat.. Granted they were likely the easier ones as I am not anywhere near this dynamic a guitar player... Junior is a major influence.. When I first heard of him in the 90's he was dubbed Jimi Hendrix meets Ernest Tubbs.. Though I think he is way to unique an animal to be categorized like that I think that description covers the juxtaposition of his voice to his guit chops..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have said it for years and it stands.. I get exposed to more great artists/music here than anywhere.

Thank you sir!!

My pleasure! Glad you enjoyed it!

Grassdog - Yup Mrs. Brown and the hwole rhythm section for that matter holding it down in a big way.. Stellar musicians all the way around on this one..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
probably the best guitar player i ever did see.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that guit-steel is interesting!

https://www.stevensguitars.com/artists/juniorbrown/

guitsteel.jpg

"In 1985, Brown created a new type of double-neck guitar, with some assistance from Michael Stevens. Brown called the instrument his "guit-steel". When performing, Brown plays the guitar by standing behind it, while it rests on a small music stand. The top neck on the guit-steel is a traditional six-string guitar, while the lower neck is a full-size lap steel guitar for slide playing. ... The original instrument, dubbed "Old Yeller", has as its standard six-string guitar portion the neck and pickups from Brown's previous stage guitar, a Fender Bullet. ...Brown has stated that the invention of the guit-steel was always a matter of convenience so that he could play both lap steel and lead guitar during live performances and not directly motivated by a desire to be a "one man band"."

640px-Junior_Brown_2014.jpg

Ralf

Ralf - He built two.. The yellow one he is playing in the video was the first one I believe and is now at the Smithsonian. The red / orange one in your picture is what he been playing for some time now.. Yes sometimes the desire for convenience can breed genius.. Most definitely in this case!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
probably the best guitar player i ever did see.

You know I have always been careful with proclaiming what I consider to be the best, but he is got to be considered one of them.. At the very least one of the most creative guitar players ever..

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The yellow one he is playing in the video was the first one I believe and is now at the Smithsonian.

I don't know where it is now, but at one point it was at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Absolutely worth the visit next time you are in Nashville.

UNUvG99h.jpg