Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Gibson acoustics at GC

  1. #1
    Senior Member dreadnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    8,635

    Gibson acoustics at GC

    I'm sorry, but I continue to find manufacturing flaws in Gibson acoustics that are not present on Martins and Taylors. Gibson seems to have problems making a clean neck joint, the finishes are wrinkly and uneven where they join. Inlays are also rough and unlevel.

    Their J-45 basic 'hog body with spruce top lists for $2,499.00 No inlays, only a Gibson gold decal on the headstock. At that price, that guitar should be perfect. It wasn't.

    Of course, they didn't even have any Guilds.
    Last edited by dreadnut; 05-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

    '76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Barton City, Michigan
    Posts
    3,067
    Not questioning you at all Dread. I will report however, that I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics (although 1 is for sale) and they are all superb IMHO. Although Guild is my Brand of choice, I've found I prefer the Gibson line to both Martin and Taylor. They just have a unique Gibson sound/tone that I at least, find appealing.
    '18 D 40T Cust. X 2
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '00 D 55
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '13 DD6 MCE
    '55 F 30
    '10 F 40 GSR Coco.
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '74 D 55-12
    '65 F 312
    '07 F 412
    '95 JF 100 NT CRV
    '97 Deco #3
    '99 Finesse
    '13 Orph. Jumbo
    45th/50th/60th Anniv.
    '94 CR01
    '01 Peregrine
    '64 S 50
    '60 T 100 C
    '74 M-75 CS
    '55-X 50
    '65 X 50
    '00 X 170
    '70's M 75 CS
    '68 St 301
    '68 St 303
    '69 St 402
    '98 SF 2
    '65 SF 3
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2
    '60 X 150

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    ....I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics....
    I only have one, which I got from Chicago Music Exchange. This 2018 Bozeman-built Songwriter 12-string is awesomely flawless.
    2018 Guild F512 Sunburst
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string
    
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

    2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

    2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

  4. #4
    I remember Ren Ferguson telling me at LMG3 "Guitar Center is not where you want to buy a Gibson guitar" after I said something similar to him. He would have certainly known, too.
    Sandy

    '59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass, '10 F512NT '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '12 F50 Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

  5. #5
    Yeah no matter what. Unless I see the guitar come out of the box at GC, I consider it a used guitar. Every kid on the planet has beat the hell out of every guitar there. And if your 16 and you can, do you want to play the $500 guitar or the $2500 guitar?

  6. #6
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    27,721
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    Not questioning you at all Dread. I will report however, that I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics (although 1 is for sale) and they are all superb IMHO. Although Guild is my Brand of choice, I've found I prefer the Gibson line to both Martin and Taylor. They just have a unique Gibson sound/tone that I at least, find appealing.
    They always had the best company spokespersons too.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  7. #7
    i would still love a J45 someday.
    Woody

    the Br ('71 D25)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    i would still love a J45 someday.
    There's nothing quite like a good round shoulder Gibson. I love my WM45. It probably has the best neck of any of mine, and it's my only short scale as well. I often think of selling it because I don't play it as much as I should, but the last time I did that I just went out and bought another one.
    Sandy

    '59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass, '10 F512NT '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '12 F50 Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    There's nothing quite like a good round shoulder Gibson. I love my WM45. It probably has the best neck of any of mine, and it's my only short scale as well. I often think of selling it because I don't play it as much as I should, but the last time I did that I just went out and bought another one.
    sandy, those WM-45s were a great idea by Gibson, even though they only lasted a few years, i dont remember, but it was like 1100 new. for basically a J-45. you are wise to keep it. i never see them come up. those that bought them, keep them :)
    Woody

    the Br ('71 D25)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Barton City, Michigan
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    sandy, those WM-45s were a great idea by Gibson, even though they only lasted a few years, i dont remember, but it was like 1100 new. for basically a J-45. you are wise to keep it. i never see them come up. those that bought them, keep them :)
    Hey Wood. Remember some time back you posted about an African Zebrawood J 45 at a guitar store in Arizona?? (Tucson I think). I ended up buying that. It's a pretty special guitar.
    '18 D 40T Cust. X 2
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '00 D 55
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '13 DD6 MCE
    '55 F 30
    '10 F 40 GSR Coco.
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '74 D 55-12
    '65 F 312
    '07 F 412
    '95 JF 100 NT CRV
    '97 Deco #3
    '99 Finesse
    '13 Orph. Jumbo
    45th/50th/60th Anniv.
    '94 CR01
    '01 Peregrine
    '64 S 50
    '60 T 100 C
    '74 M-75 CS
    '55-X 50
    '65 X 50
    '00 X 170
    '70's M 75 CS
    '68 St 301
    '68 St 303
    '69 St 402
    '98 SF 2
    '65 SF 3
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2
    '60 X 150

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •