A quick tutorial on the X-170 please??

beecee

Reaction score
Going to take a peek at one an hour or so away that I posted on the gbase-ebay etc section.

I've always loved the looks of the Guild arch tops but don't know a darned thing about them.

When I did play electric it was mostly solid body tele/strats..good knock offs etc.

From what I've read, (limited), the X-170 is fairly versatile vs say the more jazz-centric models.

I'd probably do some playing along w/Diana Krall, (shallow depth should be a plus there, no one will hear), or some rock a billy stuff.

Anything in particular to watch out for??

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My X-170 is one that I regret selling, well trading. Not that I don’t love my X-500, but the X-170 is a stellar guitar in its own right. And a little more comfortable due to its thinner body.

dbirchett

Reaction score
The X-170 is a little thicker than a thinline like a Starfire III or a Duane Eddy model. But it is closer to a thinline than a full size model like an X-175 or X-500. It has a laminate Maple top rather than a laminated spruce top like the other archtops (other than the Starfire models). With any arch-top guitar you should check the neck joint to see if it needs to be reset. These were available with a B2 Guildsby but a former Westerly worker said that the Guildsbyfied models had a different neck angle. If you were planning to add a Bigsby and you have a heavy attack, you may be better served with a tension bar. I have added a regular B2 to mine and it is fine but I do not have a heavy attack. You will have to make adjustments if you want to change the bridge as there is not a lot of room.

Having said all that, these are absolutely fantastic guitars. You will not regret getting it.

Here's a picture of mine:

e2a68002-0987-4b53-aae1-61564fe5c138.jpg

jiagap

Reaction score
I absolutely love my blond X-170. Zero regrets.