NAMM 2016: Guild Guitars releases USA-made M-20 and D-20

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That particular OM might have been "B" stock when Jeff bought it TX, but it was most definitely "A" stock (with a commensurate price) when I originally bought it from Carl at Union Music after the factory closed. I know that Jeff got it at a much better price than I paid, but I was livid when it arrived with a top like that and returned it. Little did I know I' d never find another one. Had I known that, I would have done some negotiation with Carl at the time.

Sorry about that Sandy, I thought that was one of ones that got liquidated from Street Sounds. My Bad.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry about that Sandy, I thought that was one of ones that got liquidated from Street Sounds. My Bad.

No need to apologize TX, and Carl even covered the shipping IIRC. I thought that it would be easy to find another one, and I ended up being wrong.

Love to have a do-over on that one, but that's life.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't have as much an issue with that guitar's appearance as some here do. For me, guitars are something used to make nice sounds, they are not a fashion accessory. I got a solid grounding in reality on one of my first acoustics, a Quebec made Lys L18-CW. It was a small factory in the La Patrie region of Quebec, and made, spruce top, walnut back and sides, sharp cutaway. The guitar sounded great, as in outstanding. Spruce top has these odd brown stripes in it; not grain lines, the actual sap wood would go darker in some areas near the tail of the guitar. I didn't care, it sounded just so good to me. Later on, as I got to know, and later become friends with luthiers and hand builders that are local, they mentioned it to me. amd showed me what a high end top looked like, with bear claw, and in some cases, jaw dropping silking of the top. Didn't really change my opinion of my Lys guitar though, and it sounded great to me; so I just really put it down to personal preference. Still do. I will always buy a great sounding guitar with a so-so top, vs. a so-so sounding guitar with a great/perfect top. Just me, though.

Very true and I agree , not sure when my next new guitar will come my way or what it will be but it will be tone all the way .
My Blueridge has a very grainy top and I was concerned about it I ask lots of questions but could not stop looking at it , kind of like the way ugly dogs are so cool lol
Anyway it was the sound that made it once I played it which was a risk since it was mail order .

I know not a Guild but here's a pic and some have seen it already .

C717662A-F445-47DB-BAE7-C2115FAB6C97.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen massive runout on some 6 figure, pre-war Martins with Adi tops (I think)... You guys are arguing form vs. function, and there's probably no concensus on that.

The best explanation of the Orpheum line was Tim Shea's... namely, that these were built as if Guild had existed pre-war. Obviously, the machines didn't exist, etc... And, the reality is that there was somewhat less attention to detail than we see today (witness runout, etc.), but the product is intended to be as-if it had been pre-war design. Similar in concept, I think, to Martin's Authentic series.