Guild D4 NT

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey badplayer, I'll also say welcome and add that I've never seen a mahogany topped D4 either.
You guys just don't remember the one our member Jay Pilzer of New Hope Traders had listed for sale a couple of years ago.
I was so surprised myself I actually called him for verification and he confirmed with a comment along the lines of "Guild was doing a lot of small runs of weird stuff at that time".
We then saw another in LA a couple of months later, assuming that wasn't Jay's up for sale again.
So this is probably the 3rd one I've seen reported here.
Welcome board badplayer and since you're a George Strait fan then I'm happy for you!
It's where it belongs.
And only 3 seen in 6 years is very low production indeed.
But the workmanship you mention is simply the standard one can expect from late Westerly product and Guild in general for that matter, all 3 of mine came out of the box that way and I can't recall anybody reporting poor set-up on a brand new Guild, with a couple of qualifications we'll get into later if you start thinking about acquiring more. (There's a couple of models that used new designs and technology that acquired an unfortunate QC reputation)

Last edited:
Reaction score
D4 with MahoganyTop

http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/nealwetmore/media/Guild%20D4%20side_zpsfulefzj7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/IMG]
Guild%20D4%20label_zpsmg68s5jk.jpg.html
Guild%20D4%20top_zps7px5k3iv.jpg.html

Hi gang... thanks again for your help with identifying my recent purchase.. a Guild D-4 NT HR mahog Serial # AD403267. I had asked if the top was indeed mahogany, and Hans confirmed. (thank you) Several members have asked for pictures, and in my struggle to open a new thread.. I just gave up and am trying to post them here. As you may have read.. the guitar is 18 yrs old, still has the plastic on the pickguard and the labels in the case, with a George Strait signature from who-knows-where. (You'll see the protective pickguard plastic peeling some in the pictures.) I'm a keyboard player who collects guitars... but I'll try to answer any questions if curiosities arise. Best wishes! If my pics fail to upload... patience please!

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Chiming in here since the D4M has always been "the Guild that got away" for me. I played one in a store in the north of England when I was in the market for a new acoustic in the summer of 2002. I remember it felt like a lot of guitar for the money (around £400, which is less than you'd pay for one of the Chinese-built Guild dreads today). Ultimately I went for a NOS '96 D25 they had in the same store, reasoning the nitro on that guitar would stand up better to the bumps and dings it might get as my daily player better than the hand-rubbed finish on the D4 (bought a D4-12-HR about a year later and I think I made the right call on that front).

I still have the D25, still love it and it's still my daily player but I do feel bad about letting the 'hog-topped D4 get away - have never seen another one in the wild and badplayer's is only the second one I've seen pictures of online.

Must have been at least a couple that made it over this side of the pond as the D4M was reviewed in Guitarist magazine when it went into production (haven't got the issue anymore but I do remember it had a cover feature on the Beatles' White Album so must have been some time in 1998).

Matt

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Matt!
It would be really great if you'd start a new thread to introduce yourself. You say you've been lurking and here you're buried.

We all have stories about the ones that got away so you'll find a rather large support group here!

We'd also love to see pics of your D25, so fire off a few as time allows. :single_eye:

Cheers,
Joe

Reaction score
First time post opening a zombie thread.

I tried to join the site last month when I put a deposit down on my D4 but admin must have disapproved of the name I chose so changed it, not sure why as it was nothing offensive but hey.

Finished paying for the D4 Westerly today and brought it home, was in my local mom and pop music store and spotted it as did another customer and it was obvious that one of us was going to buy it and I got in first.

Paid £550 for it which is about average for what they go for second hand here in UK, I was originally going to buy one of the 2002(?) Washburn Anniversary Series acoustics from the shop but spotted the Guild and went for that instead.

Plays lovely and I'm looking forward to the time we'll spend together. I'd add a photo but option doesn't appear to be available unless using a link rather than upload.

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG . . . you'll find lots of appreciation here for a good D-4.

And yes, links to photos are required, you can't upload directly to LTG. Also, your first few posts may require moderator approval, therefore they may not show up right away.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
First time post opening a zombie thread.
I tried to join the site last month when I put a deposit down on my D4 but admin must have disapproved of the name I chose so changed it, not sure why as it was nothing offensive but hey.
Welcome aboard, EKU!
D4's have been cited as possibly Guild's best overall value of all time, they're basically an arched back D25 as stripped down as they could build 'em.
Your handle caught my attention too, is that a reference to the notorious 28 proof malt liquor I sampled a few times as a youth?
Back in the late '70's it was the world's strongest beer, "Guaranteed 28 proof":
132093214125_1.jpg

Stronger than cough syrup and tasted like it too...:biggrin-new:

Reaction score
Thanks to both for replies.

Re the Guild D4, it's lovely, very middy, no shrill highs or muffled lows. Since bringing it home have been trying to nail Tangled Up In Blue by Bob Dylan on it.
My other acoustic is a Tanglewood Super Jumbo cutaway but I loaned it to my cousins daughter six months ago and the Guild just seemed right.

Re EKU28, it is indeed a reference to that hellbrew of our youths, I remember leaving a friends flat in the 80's with a two or three litre bottle of cider half full of cider and the rest filled with EKU 28, sherry and Drambuie
and then waking up the next day with a blank space between the two.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Re EKU28, it is indeed a reference to that hellbrew of our youths, I remember leaving a friends flat in the 80's with a two or three litre bottle of cider half full of cider and the rest filled with EKU 28, sherry and Drambuie
and then waking up the next day with a blank space between the two.
Yikes!
:biggrin-new:

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve had my Guild D4 NT since around ‘89, and I love it. It just gets better with age, as the wood on the face seems to be “curing” or whatever the word it. Reminds my of a vintage Martin. It’s a beautiful, simply made instrument. No frills but the arch back, and a sound of the angels. Just gave mine a long needed string change, and a tiny little dirt back on the strings and it’ll be perfect. I would highly recommend this instrument to anyone, especially someone hoping to keep it for over 30 years like me. It’s a trusted friend who I’ve written many songs with. Also good to know it keeps its value, and maybe a bit more. Love my Guild. I’ve bought and sold almost every other instrument I’ve owned, but never this one. Also, all my immediate family chipped in on this beauty for me, and my folks have both passed. A beautiful instrument that like a fine wine, just gets better with age.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my Guild D4 NT since around ‘89, and I love it.
Hello cultvult67,

Welcome! The earliest year for the D4 NT would have been 1991, so you are a few years off. Give us the serial number and I should be able to tell you what year the guitar was completed in the factory.

Hope you will enjoy it for a long time!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello cultvult67,

Welcome! The earliest year for the D4 NT would have been 1991, so you are a few years off. Give us the serial number and I should be able to tell you what year the guitar was completed in the factory.

Hope you will enjoy it for a long time!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl
Cool! Yea, I probably am. Looks like CFOO4565

tonepoet

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG. I bought a D4E-NT new back in 1995 that I still have and agree that they have bang-for-the-buck. They have the beautiful "Guild" sound without the big cost.