Guild "Burnside" solid body guitars.

Reaction score
I just inherited a bunch of Guild Burnsides. I have the whole collection plus doubles in different colors. There are 16 in total and none of them have ever been touched in 30 year's. They are all "new old stock" guitars in their original cases or bags and still have plastic on the pick guards.
About how much are these worth today in resale value. Anyone have any Burnsides? Thankfully yours, Bo T.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. Not a lot of info out there. Would you consider documenting the collection with photos and posting?

As for value, I will throw out something with no basis in fact in hopes that someone with the Blue Book will quote that to correct me, but I'll say a generic, functioning electric guitar in very good condition is $300. If these instruments speak to someone, Burnside collector, birth year guitar in NOS condition, etc. I can see maybe $500. That said, if I had this sudden desire to own a collection my gut says $4000 maybe, $5000, no. Thus the parts are worth more than the whole (although I would buy the collection or nothing at all) to me and the all important $5000 threshold comes into play. (As in if I had $5000 to spend, I could get a new to me car and thus upgrade my ride so $5000 is where a there is a serious opportunity cost).

My opinion entirely. I've had too much coffee (is there such a thing) so am rambling on in hopes of getting a discussion going.

gilded

Reaction score
Google guild burnside to start. Here's one site of possible interest:

https://sites.google.com/site/music...y-guild/all-the-skinny-on-by-guild---burnside

Go to eBay. look at completed auction results for guild burnside. There are maybe 6-10 sold instruments, ranging from $150 to $350. Most of the sold prices were in the 150-250 range.

The idea of a collection having more value has merit, but you also have to have something that people want.
I remember a fellow I knew put together a collection of 100+ lap steel guitars. took it to a guitar show, set them all up on a custom display with lighting and asked $30K for the collection, then $20K, then $10K, then......... well, it didn't work out for him.

But I hope it works for you! Good luck!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just inherited a bunch of Guild Burnsides. I have the whole collection plus doubles in different colors. There are 16 in total and none of them have ever been touched in 30 year's. They are all "new old stock" guitars in their original cases or bags and still have plastic on the pick guards.
About how much are these worth today in resale value.
I can only think of one guy who might be interested, since he plays a collectable vintage Guild Thunderbird: Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys.
Recently discussed in this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...mer-Pickers-Gretsch-Fender&highlight=AUERBACH
Good luck!
Oh, and welcome aboard!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Boboboski and Welcome to LTG! I did a bunch of research on "Burnside" by Guild guitars a couple of years ago when several NOS condition Burnside's showed up at a Friends music shop in the Hill Country. The guitars were from a Retired Guild sales representative that didn't play guitar. Every year they would give him guitars as a bonus and he would just store them. They all had original Burnside leather Gig Bags and all paperwork with them as well as being in NOS condition. That being said,The Set Neck models went in the $350-$400 range a piece on EBAY. The Bolt on necks pulled anywhere from $250-$300 a piece on EBAY. The one stand out among the group was a White Burnside Crossbow Bass guitar with all the paperwork. The Crossbow bass model was the rarest of them all as supposedly Guild attempted a different construction technique on the CrossBow Basses that turned out to not be cost effective in the end. My understanding was that there were very few of the basses made and available to the public for sale. Most of them were given to Guild employees as was the case with this one. It sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $650-$700 on ebay. Hope this helps and I would love to see pictures of them as I'm sure other members would as well. Once again, Welcome and enjoy you Guitars!

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
I remember trying out a Guild/Burnside at a shop back in the 80's. As I recall it was a set neck, double cutaway, thin semi-hollow with a downsized body and two humbuckers (may have been EMG's). Not a bad guitar, but it didn't grab me at the time.

Reaction score
Thank you ALL SO MUCH!! This is funny because someone mentioned, "The Hill Country" & that's where this collection came from. My brother lived in Austin and was a cop/pig/ Texas Ranger, and he busted someone that had stolen a large collection of Burnsides. The state of Texas got them from the thief, (drug dealer) & my brother bought all of them at a police auction for meer pennies. ¢12 each if you do the math. (His trick was to hide them and wait till everyone left and then "auction" off the guitars). Hehe. Tricky mofo.
There were 23 guitars in that collection and he got every single one for twelve cents each.
Does anyone here know how to post pictures? I have a lot.
I'm thinking of taking up the guitar and ditch my drums. (I have MS and it kills me to whale away as I do. I figured that if I sell my drums and some of these guitars, I will be able to afford a small studio and a great rig. Anyone here interested in a Burnside Cutlass or a "The Lance"? I have two of each. One red and one black and white. Both have accutunes and have never been played. Selling cheap.

Reaction score
Thank you ALL SO MUCH!! This is funny because someone mentioned, "The Hill Country" & that's where this collection came from. My brother lived in Austin and was a cop/pig/ Texas Ranger, and he busted someone that had stolen a large collection of Burnsides. The state of Texas got them from the thief, (drug dealer) & my brother bought all of them at a police auction for meer pennies. ¢12 each if you do the math. (His trick was to hide them and wait till everyone left and then "auction" off the guitars). Hehe. Tricky mofo.
I have a Burnside Lance, not a bad guitar, probably alder body, nice pickups, thru neck, trem is kinda meh but works ok. I don't really care for the shorter scale neck or the v style tho, really a strat body fan. I had a strat plus deluxe stolen from my house my dad got me for my 14th birthday and I just have to say wow, your brother is a real standup dude. To think I was gonna dish out 1k plus for another when I could just become a cop and get one for 12 cents.

Reaction score
About how much are these worth today in resale value. Anyone have any Burnsides? Thankfully yours, Bo T.

Hello all!
Bobobski, I know this post is old, but I don't suppose you still have any of these Burnsides?
Did you ever post any pics?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
Bobobski, I know this post is old, but I don't suppose you still have any of these Burnsides?
Did you ever post any pics?

I see a first post, welcome aboard, Charlie!
I suspect that since Boboski topped out 5 posts he may not visit here much anymore, but possibly he may be reachable through our "Private Messaging" system:
Click on his user ID and a menu pops up allowing that option, heck, he may even have direct email enabled but suspect it would probably only be the address he used when he registered originally.