Ngd d-46.......

mario1956

Reaction score
My D-46 arrived today. Needs a little work, but after putting on new strings, really impressed. Nice warm sound plenty of volume perfect balance from top to bottom. Think I'm gonna keep this one. The ash grain to me is very striking and beautiful. The top has nice close straight grain. Tha neck is also very striking and feels very good in my hand. This guitar has a long saddle bridge as you notice. Is this a factory option? It is well done and looks like it belongs.

Anyway here's the pics:

DSCF4642.jpg

DSCF4643.jpg

DSCF4645.jpg

DSCF4646.jpg

DSCF4647.jpg

DSCF4648.jpg

Neal

Reaction score
Very cool. What year is it? Looks to be circa '77-78.

How would you describe the sound of ash as a tone wood. More like maple than mahogany? Or like neither?

Nea;

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice!

Neil, it's likely an '80 or '81. The D-46 model first appears in SN lists in '80. The rosewood centerpiece in the back disappeared sometime in '81.

I would say my D-46 (also an '81 with the rosewood centerpiece in back) sounds somewhere between mahogany/maple and rosewood. It has a richer sound with more overtones than maple or mahogany, has a good bass (not as boomy as rosewood), and is very balanced, with sparkling trebles and mids.

Mine also has a great neck... smooth, slender, and fast. It's probably my favorite neck to play... the D-55 seems to thin, and the DV-73 is a bit on the chunky side.

mario1956

Reaction score
Very cool. What year is it? Looks to be circa '77-78.

How would you describe the sound of ash as a tone wood. More like maple than mahogany? Or like neither?

Nea;

Serial number DL100207 makes it a 1981 model. I think the tone is between maple and mahogany being it still has some nice warmth to it but has a bite. That's not bad because it lends to very clear notes. It still retains a lot of richness and has a piano type quality. The bass is subdued but isn't choked out by the highs. I like balanced guitars so this is a good one for me.

Last edited:

mario1956

Reaction score
Nice!

Neil, it's likely an '80 or '81. The D-46 model first appears in SN lists in '80. The rosewood centerpiece in the back disappeared sometime in '81.

I would say my D-46 (also an '81 with the rosewood centerpiece in back) sounds somewhere between mahogany/maple and rosewood. It has a richer sound with more overtones than maple or mahogany, has a good bass (not as boomy as rosewood), and is very balanced, with sparkling trebles and mids.

Mine also has a great neck... smooth, slender, and fast. It's probably my favorite neck to play... the D-55 seems to thin, and the DV-73 is a bit on the chunky side.

Couldn't have said it any better. I noticed too that the neck is beefier than most Guilds I've owned or played. But it's good....

I also like the ebony fretboard and bridge. It blends well with the rest of the guitar.

Last edited: