Fender to close New Hartford operations

moreyag

Reaction score
A few musings - I was considering bringing my Guild there for repairs, sadly, i'm glad i did not.
- my heart goes out to the people who lost/will lose their jobs. THAT is the tragedy as others have posted previously.
Fender had no business in buying or owning a company like Guild. It's ridiculous to think that a mass-market manufacturer can find room in the corporate barn for a small boutique style company. Guild was never about boxes and numbers, they were always about being a bit different and imho a bit better.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't see this coming. I guess this is a surprise to us all at LTG...well except for Jim.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fender had no business in buying or owning a company like Guild. It's ridiculous to think that a mass-market manufacturer can find room in the corporate barn for a small boutique style company. Guild was never about boxes and numbers, they were always about being a bit different and imho a bit better.

Exactly! Guild was always inherently established as a breed apart. It was never supposed to fit the mold. It's the best and saddest acoustic guitar story that ever lived.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree, Jonathan. When I woke up this morning, I NEVER expected this kind of news. Then some other sad and gut-wrenching news compounds. Not to mention the GALE FORCE WINDS..... today totally BLOWS!

moreyag

Reaction score
Found this on the web:
FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION TO CLOSE NEW HARTFORD, CONN. FACILITY;
OVATION® TO CEASE U.S. PRODUCTION

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is proud of the products that are built in our New Hartford, Conn. manufacturing facility and appreciates the talented group of people that hand craft them. However, due to current market conditions and insufficient volume levels, the company has made the decision to cease production there within June 2014.

This decision represents a consolidation of production capabilities for FMIC U.S.-made acoustic instruments. “We are committed to providing the same high quality musical instruments our artists, consumers and customers expect and demand, and will continue to support the brands that are currently being produced in New Hartford,” said Richard McDonald, senior vice president of Fender®.

U.S. production of Fender acoustic and Guild® instruments will transition to other facilities at a later date, while domestic production of U.S.-made Ovation musical instruments will cease.

Forty-six New Hartford-based FMIC employees will be affected by this decision over the next several months. These impacted employees served the company well and will be treated fairly and with respect; they will be provided comprehensive assistance, including severance packages, outplacement services and other related assistance.

Neal

Reaction score
Here is the official press release, which suggests that US Guild models will still be made at other Fender-owned facilities.

"FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION TO CLOSE NEW HARTFORD, CONN. FACILITY;

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC) is proud of the products that are built in our New Hartford, Conn. manufacturing facility and appreciates the talented group of people that hand craft them. However, due to current market conditions and insufficient volume levels, the company has made the decision to cease production there within June 2014.

This decision represents a consolidation of production capabilities for FMIC U.S.-made acoustic instruments. “We are committed to providing the same high quality musical instruments our artists, consumers and customers expect and demand, and will continue to support the brands that are currently being produced in New Hartford,” said Richard McDonald, senior vice president of Fender®.

U.S. production of Fender acoustic and Guild® instruments will transition to other facilities at a later date, while domestic production of U.S.-made Ovation musical instruments will cease.

Forty-six New Hartford-based FMIC employees will be affected by this decision over the next several months. These impacted employees served the company well and will be treated fairly and with respect; they will be provided comprehensive assistance, including severance packages, outplacement services and other related assistance."

Neal

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, Steve, if it was Burger King, then at least now we can finally get a Guild "our way"..... so, I want mayo on mine.
Wrong. I was serious. The holding company that owns FMIC also owns BK. Which means the real possibility of being run by people who are convinced that guitars can be made with minimum wages and no skills.

Chew on that. :-(

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Found this on the web:
FENDER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS CORPORATION TO CLOSE NEW HARTFORD, CONN. FACILITY;

Forty-six New Hartford-based FMIC employees will be affected by this decision over the next several months. These impacted employees served the company well and will be treated fairly and with respect; they will be provided comprehensive assistance, including severance packages, outplacement services and other related assistance.

So Guild US could realistically live on at some other US fender plant? Any ideas as to where?

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Hmmm, a specialized manufacturing company moves leaving behind a uniquely skilled and talented workforce with no place to work. Well at least they respectfully get 2 months pay. Yay!

I love capitalism. F the worker.

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Hmmm, a specialized manufacturing company moves leaving behind a uniquely skilled and talented workforce with no place to work. Well at least they respectfully get 2 months pay. Yay!

I love capitalism. F the worker.

We are two, J. That's all what I'll say...

All the best,
B.

Mingus

Reaction score
What awful news to get JUST as I started visiting the forum again!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Joe, this is a sad time. This is really bad news. You can try to inject "positivity" all you want, but I'm gonna be sad. It's OKAY to feel sad. In fact, I think it's appropriate. :frustrating:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess they didn't tell the Guild marketing team as they just posted a photo yesterday on facebook of Darren bending a Venetian cutaway with the cryptic caption: Electric!