1974 cherry S-100 at Willie's

Thunderface

Reaction score
There's a 1974 cherry S-100 with original case at Willie's. Note the mention of the "distinctive Chesterfield headstock overlay." They obviously said that to distract from the fact that the TRC is upside down. :?

WilliesS100_zps7ca68597.jpg

A bit pricey, but it looks nice, if you're into that sort of thing. :wink:

Reaction score
I played that one a couple weeks ago and it played nice once I lowered the bridge and tuned it back up. I don't know why the action was set so high as the neck is nice and straight and it plays well. With a proper set up it would be a great player. The only problem is one Guild leads to the next. you know what I mean.
Thanks John

Thunderface

Reaction score
I thought this might have been the one you were talking about before, PWJ. Are you back from the Rock Cruise?

Thunderface

Reaction score
I made a quick lunch trip to Willie's to see this '74 S-100, and I was taken aback by what is now a wall of Guild electrics.

IMAG7171_zps83be44ac.jpg

Not the whole wall, mind you, but a half-dozen Guild electrics hanging high on the wall above the entrance to the the back room where they keep the acoustics. And there were about eight Guild acoustics back there.

The '74 S-100 is on consignment for $1,500 and is in really nice shape. In fact, it's the nicest S-100 I've held in my hands that I didn't buy, and is in better shape than a couple S-100s that I did buy. A couple of dings on the edges, one spot on the back of the neck and some finish cracking on the back of the headstock, but otherwise, it's very clean. They also have two 1967 cherry Starfire IVs, one with a Bigsby and the other a left-handed model that also was in very good shape, with a "it's rare" price tag of $3,500.

It was a quick lunchtime trip on my busiest workday of the week, so I didn't actually plug in the S-100 or any of the others to play, but powerwagonjohn did and posted his thoughts above. I did make time, however, to point out to one of the guys behind the counter that the S-100 TRC was upside down. :wink:

This is Thunderface for the LTG, reporting from Willie's Guitars in St. Paul. Now back to your regularly scheduled LTG posting.

Reaction score
yes I am back and happy to report all is well in Guild land. What is the archtop on the left? That was not there a couple weeks ago.
Thanks John

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
I made a quick lunch trip to Willie's to see this '74 S-100, and I was taken aback by what is now a wall of Guild electrics.

IMAG7171_zps83be44ac.jpg

Not the whole wall, mind you, but a half-dozen Guild electrics hanging high on the wall above the entrance to the the back room where they keep the acoustics. And there were about eight Guild acoustics back there.

Hey, Jim, that third from the left M-75, is it the one listed on their website for $1795? On this here pic you posted it looks like it's maple-capped whereas on their website they describe it as a mahogany top (and it looks like a plain nature boy).

Memphis

Reaction score
Ok, am I goin crazy or does that S-100 look to have a finish somewhere between a cherry and a walnut? It seems all of the other cherry finishes I have seen (albeit only a few) have been much...well cherrier? redder?

Thunderface

Reaction score
Vadim, the M-75 is the same one as on the website, with the same ugly heel repair, although it actually looked a little better in person, if that's possible.

The S-100 finish was definitely more towards the walnut shade of the scale then cherry. Much darker than cherry. Looked a little less brownish than my '73 walnut S-100.