NGD - S-100 Project

Zelja

Reaction score
I have 3 s-100s and was curious to try a reissue due to the wider neck. I was also wanting to get a DeLuxe one day & I was also dead keen to get an S-100 in white. Another 3 guitars of the same model was a bit too crazy, even for me... What to do?

Well first I found what proved to be a 96 s-100 in black with a few issues - cracked top around the controls & got it sent to our very own Fixit:
IMG_1415.jpg

By some fluke, my local guitar tech happened to have a Guildsby off a 70's s-100 & I traded him a bunch of parts (misc hardware, tuners etc, that I would have never got around to selling) for that elusive piece:
Guildsby_zps566d2820.jpg

I was going to put in some HB-1s I had here when the guitar arrived from Fixit, but late in the day I found some on US ebay which had modified tabs but otherwise seemed in OK condition & got them sent to him as well:
HB1s_zps2dd87814.jpg

Anyway, after a while, this turned up at my door:

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

The above are all Fixits pics. He was great to work with. Kept me informed all the way & kept a pictorial diary of the whole process which you can see here: http://s1138.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... /ZelkoS100

I was really impressed how the serial number stood out nice & clean on that pic above - the sign of a man who knows what he is doing! Very professional packing job too!

Here it is in it's new Sydney home in the arms of southernGuild on the night of the Joe Pug concert we went to:

SGandS100_zps4a9d285c.jpg

And here she is with a couple of her older sisters, a Walnut '72 & a Black '77 (which I got from Kent (Los Angeles):

S-100s002sm_zpsf3fc002c.jpg

Everyone that's seen the guitar has agreed it is spectacular! Just looks so good & I appreciate the wider & chunkier neck. :D

Haven't been able to play it through my favourite amps as I'm half way between a move & also getting one of my amps fixed. I have been playing a lot of Plexi amps models with rocking drive on my Fractal Axe-FX modeler. This one seems to like the higher gain. 8)

Alan_M

Reaction score
"Everyone that's seen the guitar has agreed it is spectacular!"

+1

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is so beautiful I peed a little.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And another "hit" by Fixit..... not surprisingly awesome result.

Great looking S-100 and good to see John again... (I didn't remember he had red eyes though). :shock:

Qvart

Reaction score
HOLY
MOLY
MOTHER
OF GUILD
GOODNESS!

The lesson here appears to be - if your holy grail doesn't exist, CREATE IT!

(Or - to put it another way - Fixit is a wizard!) :lol:

drc said:
I was really impressed how the serial number stood out nice & clean on that pic above - the sign of a man who knows what he is doing!

Yeah, he did much better than Westerly: the reissues are notorious for being oversprayed.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I heard a whisper in the wind that this day might one day come. :) I love that you had a dream guitar in your mind and made your dream a reality! All I can say is that Tom makes dreams come true. Thank you so much for sharing these photos and the story.

FANTASTIC!

Kent

hagmeat

Reaction score
I`ve seen it and played it, and it is really spectacular !

Zelko, that`s great how you had an idea, followed through, and turned it into reality.

Fixit must be applauded for such a masterful job, I only wish he lived a little closer.

Cheers. Rob

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys, glad you enjoyed the pics & good to see the work put into this guitar appreciated by you all. :D

Check out the link in the OP to see the processes that Fixit went through & just how well he documented the whole thing. Pretty impressive!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ummmm that's ummm one.......spectacular, yeah that's it, guitar and what a restoration.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Zelja said:
I have 3 s-100s and was curious to try a reissue due to the wider neck. I was also wanting to get a DeLuxe one day & I was also dead keen to get an S-100 in white. Another 3 guitars of the same model was a bit too crazy, even for me... What to do?
Too crazy? I think not. :wink:

Zelja said:
Well first I found what proved to be a 96 s-100 in black with a few issues - cracked top around the controls & got it sent to our very own Fixit ... Anyway, after a while, this turned up at my door:

IMG_1547.jpg

Here it is in it's new Sydney home in the arms of southernGuild on the night of the Joe Pug concert we went to:

SGandS100_zps4a9d285c.jpg

HOLY MOLY! That looks spectacular! It looks so hot it made John's eyes turn red. :D Way to go Zelja, and another stellar restoration job, Tom.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
HOLY
MOLY
MOTHER
OF GUILD
GOODNESS!

The lesson here appears to be - if your holy grail doesn't exist, CREATE IT!

(Or - to put it another way - Fixit is a wizard!) :lol:
Amen to that, Brother Qvart. I keep telling Treem that very thing in his quest to find a vintage black DeLuxe. Creating your holy grail worked for caseygree and now zelja. You can't argue with the results, not matter who's doing the converting.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
bluesypicky said:
And another "hit" by Fixit..... not surprisingly awesome result.

Great looking S-100 and good to see John again... (I didn't remember he had red eyes though). :shock:
:lol: Thanks Bluesy. What a rotten shot of me. :lol: But what a fantastic guitar. :D
The work fixit put in shows, so much as it looks like it has been that way all her days. A stunner! The whole look and feel of that guitar is 'right'. A great idea, followed through to a wonderful conclusion, and new begining.
I look forward to meeting this one again. I'll Let it turn my brown eyes...red. :oops:

Fixit

Reaction score
Thanks for all the cudos from everyone :oops: , I really enjoyed the project and had alot of fun doing it :!: Thanks to Zelja for the vision, and for trusting that I could get it done. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

P.S. John it looks good on you :lol:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
WOOOOW!!!

So this was your little proyect, Z., uhm? WOW: What a beauty!

Congratulations Tom for this tremendous job. You're amazing!

Glad for both!

All the best,
B.

P.S. Can I ask how long the process took?

Zelja

Reaction score
Bruno, it took about 10 weeks all up but I wasn't in much of a rush & Tom had to wait on parts from me every now & again.

Tom, you deserve all the kudos coming your way. Thanks for your wishes & for being such a pleasure to deal with. My god-daughter has her eye on it if ever I decide to move it on - she loves it & it's a birth year guitar for her. :)

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Zelja said:
Bruno, it took about 10 weeks all up but I wasn't in much of a rush & Tom had to wait on parts from me every now & again.

Tom, you deserve all the kudos coming your way. Thanks for your wishes & for being such a pleasure to deal with. My god-daughter has her eye on it if ever I decide to move it on - she loves it & it's a birth year guitar for her.
Thanks, Zelko!

She sure has a good taste in guitars, as does her god-father!

Have a Happy holidays!

A hug & All the best,
B.

P.S. I read your SF, finally, arrived, right? So, Where are the pics??? (I'm aware of your house change, Z. Don't worry... :D )

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks Bruno. Yeah, the 1966 SFV arrived. I'm a very happy chappy! :D It's at my folks place - I felt bad for leaving it there as I thought I should still be playing it. Work gets in the way of so many good things!! :evil: I'll try to get some pics happening but can't promise anything as I'll be doing most of the move between Christmas & New Year.

All the best to you & your family for Christmas & The New Year. You would have the hot Christmases like we do - apparently it was 39 Deg C over here today.
Cheers,
Zelko

PS, yeah my god-daughter seems to have good taste alright. Her favourite may still be the 1963 CE-100D.