yellow D25 and orange D30: Rare?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
To my ears, the yellow D25 doesn't sound as good as non-colored D25s, ...Any comments?
I played a Honey Blonde and a Surf Green Corona made D25. The sound was not very impressive...
Both had so much paint on them that I believe this was the reason for the less than good sound.

guild_d25hblfm2.jpg
guild_d25sfg2.jpg

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I like that blonde.
Bear in mind that Corona D25's were flatbacks. Right away you lose the sustain and overtone amplifiaction that makes archbacks specila.
I also feel that my (flatback) Corona D40 is the sonic wimp in the family. I think there might be a combination of reasons for that, but part of it could be the finish, it does seem a bit thicker than the Westerlys, although I consider the overall gloss and smoothness to actually be the best in the bunch.
In the case of the solid yellow D25, I could see how the high solids content in the paint might be a bit of a top-dampener.
I don't think that's the case with Tennesse Orange becauue it's transparent.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
I like that blonde.
Bear in mind that Corona D25's were flatbacks. Right away you lose the sustain and overtone amplifiaction that makes archbacks specila.
I also feel that my (flatback) Corona D40 is the sonic wimp in the family. I think there might be a combination of reasons for that, but part of it could be the finish, it does seem a bit thicker than the Westerlys, although I consider the overall gloss and smoothness to actually be the best in the bunch.
In the case of the solid yellow D25, I could see how the high solids content in the paint might be a bit of a top-dampener.
I don't think that's the case with Tennesse Orange becauue it's transparent.
Yeah, I find it strange that they used a pigment stain or paint for the color rather than a dye, which would have had little to no impact on the sound. :?
(I suspect FMIC had a hand in that decision. They probably had some leftover Telecaster paint. :lol: )

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Addie and Acorn are exactly right.
If you look closely, those Corona colors are actually translucent and not fully opaque/solid.
A very interesting effect.
BUT those solids on the '80's '25s would be pre-FMIC. :wink:

Pike

Reaction score
I had a Corona built D25 for a while. It sounded OK, different.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
AcornHouse said:
Yeah, I find it strange that they used a pigment stain or paint for the color rather than a dye, which would have had little to no impact on the sound. :? (I suspect FMIC had a hand in that decision. They probably had some leftover Telecaster paint. :lol: )
Well for some of the colored Corona made D25 that is a reason. The honey blonde (767) and surf green (757) D25 colors were the standard Fender colors. So a typical Strat player could get an acoustic in the same color. (and they also had a Fishman Pickup, so he could plug them in, hence the unplugged sound was not that important).

strat.jpg
strat1.jpg

Ralf