Green wasn't just an S-100 reissue color

Thunderface

Reaction score
During a random search of Google images, I came across an old listing from the Guitar Museum of a 1977 S-100 with an original green finish. And here I thought green was just a reissue color. Silly me. :?

77Green1.jpg

77Green2.jpg

77Green3.jpg

77Green4.jpg

And I'm guessing that Hammer would agree with me that this '77 vintage S-100 would look mighty good in his stable next to his '94 1st reissue. :wink:

GHammers.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
During a random search of Google images, I came across an old listing from the Guitar Museum of a 1977 S-100 with an original green finish. And here I thought green was just a reissue color.

77Green1.jpg

Hey Thunder,

Not saying that green wasn't used on original S-100s from the '70s, but doesn't the description on the Guitar Museum website state:

GUILD S-100 ELECTRIC GUITAR 1977 W/ ORIG. CASE
FEATURES INCLUDE:
BEAUTIFUL TONE
ALL ORIGINAL
ORIGINAL EBONY FINISH
PLAYS LIKE BUTTER, STRAIGHT NECK W/ LOW ACTION

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thunderface

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Hey Thunder,

Not saying that green wasn't used on original S-100s from the '70s, but doesn't the description on the Guitar Museum website state:

GUILD S-100 ELECTRIC GUITAR 1977 W/ ORIG. CASE
FEATURES INCLUDE:
BEAUTIFUL TONE
ALL ORIGINAL
ORIGINAL EBONY FINISH
PLAYS LIKE BUTTER, STRAIGHT NECK W/ LOW ACTION

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl
Note to self: Read description before posting. :oops:

Every time I think about changing my avatar I post something that prompts replies that make me go ... D'oh! And my biggest D'oh! ever came when I, with all this newbie ethusiam I had built up at the time, asked Hans if he had ever seen Rick Nielsen's Guild Merle Travis that I had read about in the back of some guitar magazine.

But I digress. This one sure looks green in these photos. Are my surgically-enhanced peepers failing me or what?

77Green2.jpg

77Green4.jpg

Regardless of what color it actually is, I still think it would have looked good in Hammer's stable.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mistaking Guild green for black is a fairly common occurrence when "common" is adjusted for the relative scarcity of both types of finishes. Twocorgi's scored the Starfire Bass Holy Grail because the seller described it as black and he pulled the trigger based on the instrument, and not the finish. He would have had competition if folks had realized it was green.